1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

My Pricing Format - looking for feedback/opinions

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by ColliganLands, Sep 6, 2008.

1. ColliganLands

ColliganLands PlowSite.com Addict

Hi Everyone,
    this is my pricing format for the 2008-2009 season as im just starting out im looking for you guys thoughts on this.
    Charging per push at a 3 inch trigger - $35-65 per push (so at 3 inches i plow once and the go back every three inches per 24hours)
    or should i go with this
    for 1-6 inches of snow 35-65 per push at the same 3 inch trigger
    if the strom exceeeds 6 inches (6-9inches amount) then i would charge my standard rate for that drive +1/2( so if 35 for the drive then = 35+1/2 = 52.50)
    if storm is 9-12 inches then i would charge standard rate plus 3/4 ( so 35+3/4 = 61.25)
    and for the storm exceeding 12inches then i would charge double the standard rate (so 35*2 = 70)

i think that all makes sense but im not sure
    i was thinking to just go with the 35-65 per push and the go up from there depening on the size of drive

thanks for any input or different options
    Kyle

2. QuadPlower

QuadPlower PlowSite.com Addict

Charge your rate and every time it reaches your trigger go back and plow it.

Example: 3" when you get up. You plow. as you do your route, it snows 5". You start over again with your route. People get charged 35-65 twice.

If I were you though, i would make sure your customers want it plowed every time it hits your trigger. Mine like it done before they go to work and before they get home. They don't really care if it gets done at noon.

Most of the time I plow in the morning and it doesn't snow enough during the day in order for me to go back before they come home. There for I go back again in the a.m. before they leave for work. This way they only get charged 1 time per day, but twice for the storm.

Good Luck

3. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Go with 2 inch trigger. With the 3 inch trigger you'll have 5- 6inches in the drives before your half way done with your route. A push is a push. Charge the same way too ,full price.

4. ColliganLands

ok thats what i thought but after a full day toying with my rig and tehn fixing my dads 94 ram 1500 i was tired and came up with the other really confusing way
    so im going to go with the 2inch tirgger at 35-65 a push and then plow it everytime it reaches that trigger.
    thanks again to everyone for the help

5. cretebaby

cretebaby PlowSite Veteran

when we talk triggers, and this may be more for commercial, i have a lot of 2" triggers but would never leave more than about 3/4" without plowing, especially with the price of salt at the end of last year. this was about the only way i could hold my per application price on salt

what do you guys do

6. ColliganLands

well i dont know too much about it being my first year but i was going to start plowing at the 2inch trigger and then go back every 2inches and so on

7. BM'S PLOWING

BM'S PLOWING Member
    from MASS.

I WOULD CHARGE MORE THEN $35 PER PUSH. I AM IN HAMPSHIRE COUNTY (EASTHAMPTON) AND I CHARGE $40 PER PUSH AND I KNOW THAT HERE AT LEAST THAT IS ON THE LOW SIDE. I ALSO THINK THAT YOU SHOULD DO THE 2 INCH TRIGGER BUT MAYBE THEN STICK WITH THE HALF PRICE ON THE SECOND PUSH. JUST OUT OF CURIOSITY HAVE YOU THOUGHT ABOUT BEING A SUB? YOU MIGHT BENEFIT FROM IT A LITTLE MORE, ALSO MIGHT WANT TO THINK ABOUT A SMALL SANDER. IF YOU SUB OUT IN OUR AREA I FIND THAT YOU MAKE A LOT MORE HAVING A SANDER. I SUB FOR A EXCAVATING COMPANY AND THEN I HAVE ONLY A COUPLE OF SMALL PRIVATE DRIVES AND LOTS TO PAY FOR FUEL AND INSURANCE. IF YOU DECIDE TO SUB OUT LET ME KNOW I MIGHT KNOW SOMEONE IN HADLEY LOOKING FOR ANOTHER TRUCK. FEEL FREE TO GIVE ME A CALL WITH QUESTIONS, GET IN A BIND OR INTERESTED IN BEING A SUB. GOOD LUCK.ussmileyflag

BM'S PLOWING
    413-563-1271
    2005 FORD F-250 W/ FISHER 8 1/2 HD
    MODIFIED REAR SUSPENSION
    2 YARD HENDERSON SANDER
    HONDA HS-80 TRACK SNOWBLOWERS
    2 WALK BEHIND SPREADERS

8. ColliganLands

BM thanks for the info i might consider being a sub, but i was hoping to do it on my own. the 35 per push would be for tiny driveways and hen go up from there. i wasn't sure about the 1.2 price option since it might get confusing. also if theres 8 inches of snow then it could wind up being three plowings so then maybe 1/2 price over 2 plows. it seemed the general opinion on here was just charge the full price every time. also i don't want to be going back three and four times per drive in a storm so mainly i would only go twice unless its a blizzard or wet snow to be able to keep up. also depending what time of Day dictate how many plowing.
    thanks again
    Kyle

9. BM'S PLOWING

BM'S PLOWING Member
    from MASS.

YOU CAN ALWAYS PUT IN SOME RESTRICTIONS OR A CLAUSE STATING THAT IF YOU RECIEVE MORE THEN SAY SIX OR NINE INCHES PER STORM THEN YOU CHARGE A DIFFERENT RATE AND THEN CHARGE A MINIMAL AMOUNT FOR A CLEAN UP AFTERWORDS. TRY LOOKING AT SOME CONTRACTS THAT THE SOME OTHER PEOPLE HAVE POSTED ON HERE. HOW MANY TRUCKS DO YOU HAVE WORKING FOR YOU? I JUST LOOKED AT YOUR WEBSITE. GREAT JOB! ussmileyflag

BM'S PLOWING
    CELL# 413-563-1271
    2005 FORD F-250 W/ FISHER 8 1/2 HD
    MODIFIED REAR SUSPENSION
    2 YARD HENDERSON SANDER
    HONDA HS-80 TRACK SNOWBLOWERS
    2 WALK BEHIND SPREADERS

10. rick74

rick74 Junior Member

I am in Western Mass. also. I would charge full price for each plowing. Yes if you have a sander, you have much more potential for making the money, around here we get a lot of storms that are wet snow or change to rain and a lot of my customers want their driveways or parking lots sanded or salted.

11. ColliganLands

just me in my truck, i jsut started up this comany for real full time this summer and it went ok so i said ok lets go to the next level and plow too. iv eplowed bfore with friends and thier companies, so now i want to start doing it on my own. I posted up my contract on here which is based from teh examples. so my new plan was to go with one rate for anything not constituting a blizzard (1-2 inch per hour) and plow everytime the 2inch trigger is met so in the route some drives mightget plowed 2 times some might only get plowed once.
    thanks again
    Kyle