1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

My plow will not turn either!!!

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by microtcip, Nov 28, 2008.

1. microtcip

microtcip Junior Member

Hello guys! thank you for reading my post.

I purchased this plow and truck during the summer in which the plow worked just fine. A couple of days ago I decided to get the truck ready for the season when I discovered that the plow will not turn. I was told by friends that there is a good chance the fluid is way old and humidity in the fluid froze so there is not a chance it would work. So they told me to completely remove the old fluid, including any by the hoses and side arms. So I also disconnected the hoses, move the plow by hand right to left to force any fluid out. Purchased the "blue" Hydraulic fluid called Snowplow oil and put all back. It took about 1 1/2 qt, but the plow still not working!

I do not know what kind of plow I have so please check the pictures. All I could read was Solenoid Isomatic.

I appreciate your replies but PLEASE, this is my first plow so explain to me accordingly :) like when some one in a different issue advised "Check your PM's DP" I have no idea what that means....:jester:

2. sechracer

sechracer Senior Member

Ok, well, that looks to be a unimount plow. The pump system is a ISARMATIC® Hydraulic System.

First question is will the blade lift? Do you hear the motor on the pump run?
  3. 76CHEVY

76CHEVY Member

4. microtcip

microtcip Junior Member

It does not go up either (so there is not chance to test down)

Thank you for your replies! I can hear the sound of the solenoid but that is it. When I opened the oil drain, I moved the plow left and right to help empty the fluid which it did easily!

5. macawpat

macawpat Member

1 1/2 quarts of fluid does not sound like enough for the entire system. Pull the fill plug move the blade back and forth you will probably have to add more. I use regular tranny fluid. I was told it will do a better job . Also push the rum rod that picks up the balde to make sure you have all the air out. Good luck...
  6. fordmstng66

fordmstng66 Senior Member

As stated above, 1 1/2 quarts is not enough. I just redid my sytem this year, and i went through almost a gallon of Western (blue) fluid myself. The easy thing to do would be to buy a new gasket for the motor, and take it off. Also buy a new filter that is inside, they tend to get clogged, and cause the plow to move slow, trust me makes a big difference. Then fill the pump with fluid until it gets to the fluid level plug on the right, then install the motor, and run the plow up and down, left and right. Then open the fluid level plug, and the fill plug (ther may be some pressure), and fill until the fuid starts coming out of the fluid level plug on the right. i would then cycle the plow a little, and then recheck the level, and you should be good to go.
  7. microtcip

microtcip Junior Member

Need some more details please

Great! Now I just want to make sure I understand what I will be doing.... I will be removing those two bolts were the arrow is pointing (I am assuming that is the motor) and I guess the filter will be some what easy to recognize inside the motor.... When I filled it I removed a squared bolt on the left of what I am assuming to be the motor....which I called oil fill plug on the drawing.... but you are mentioning on the right... Also, is that gasket and filter standard or I need to know what motor I have (which I do not know). Sorry with all the questions, I just want to make sure I can get this done tomorrow :)

Many thanks

plow detail.gif
  8. fordmstng66

fordmstng66 Senior Member

the fill plug us the one on the top by the motor (it is square) the oil level check is the one on the right, and it is a hex, the gasket, nd filter are standard for the unimount pumps, the dealer should know.
  9. microtcip

microtcip Junior Member

Electrical problems with old setup

Happy New Year to all of you!!!

Well, I did managed to get the plow going after I replaced the fluid! and I actually did some plowing too.... great feeling. I did noticed that the connection was done wired because the truck has not lights, they were routed to the plow lights which will work on high beam only, and the plow lights does not have the orange lights working..... but I guess for now it was OK.

My problem stated two days ago when I finally had no choice but to change the batteries in the truck since it got very cold in here.... While replacing the batteries, I noticed the plow relays which are two car relays taped together with electrical tape (is that normal). I only moved it just a bit when wires started to break off!!!! that is when I also noticed that the legs of the relays are green.... I tried to put all back the way it was but the wires were so fragile that more started to break.... that is when I think that I mess the placement of the wires or the contacts where not doing it right anymore. A friend told me I should just cut all, get new connectors and start from the beginning the right way, so here I am asking for help in how to go about doing that.... and if I am not to picky, get the truck lights working correctly too :dizzy:

The wires going into the relays are white, brown, brown, black, brown, blue (not the colors showing in the relays because who ever did the installation cut wires and used different color wires.....

So, yesterday, I had to clean my driveway by hand while staring at my truck for six hours :gunsfiring:

Please have some mercy on my soul and give me detail explanations of what I need to do.

If it matters at all, my truck is a '93 Ford F250 diesel 7.3L 4x4

It supposed to snow tomorrow!!!! Is this something I can do in a couple of hours so I can be ready for the next storm???? wesport

I would be very appreciative :drinkup:

plow 2 detail.jpg
  10. mautore

mautore Member

Micro, I am by no means an expert, but the relays you have look correct. It looks like there should be more of them though. This might help explain the headlight issue. Do they have numbers stamped on the other side? You can stop the green corrosion you're getting by cleaning each terminal, applying dielectric grease, and reconnecting your wires.
  11. microtcip

microtcip Junior Member

Not sure of how to set them up

Thanks for your reply!

I did not turned them over as yet to search for number since the relays look like car relays taped together... unless that is the right way to do it. If that is the case, I would then clean the legs and spray them to protect from future corrosion, my challenge is that I need the wire color configuration in the relays..... The only wire I recognized so far is the black with the orange line and the further right as a ground since it runs all the way attached to the body of the plow motor. The wire next to it (red) is hot but is is cut so I do not know were does it belong :(

12. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Page 34...

Replace the relays too...yours have seen better days. :salute:
  13. microtcip

microtcip Junior Member

Could I get a short cut information?

Thanks for the info.....

Do I replace the relays with the same ones I have or are they better ones I should get?

Also, not to be picky, but Could explain to me my particular layout in the relays.... After an hour of going through 70 pages of the electrical guide I just accomplish to get my eyes crossed... :jester:

Kind of a shot cut so I could hope to get my plow going for tomorrows snow storm...:dizzy:

Your help will be deeply appreciated,

14. Snowaway

Snowaway Senior Member

What I would do in your position is to go buy the same relays tape them together the same way. Then cut wire and replace the connectors one at a time so you don't loose where they go. I hate wire diagrams!
  15. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

The relay diagram for YOUR truck is on page 34..just as I already mentioned. With that diagram you can clearly see which color wires go on each of the NUMBERED relay terminals...and that fact that the relay terminals are identified each by a number makes it easy. Your relays will have the same terminal identification numbers on the underside of the relay right beside each terminal (just as shown in the diagram) if you look.

Can't make it any easier than that.
  16. BigDave12768

BigDave12768 PlowSite.com Addict

Ok I am no plow expert. But if you are going to redo those wires. Go down to Lowes Or Home Depot and buy a lil solder burner. Micro Torch I think they carry. Heat wrap those connections and solder anything that looks like it was thrown together or patched durning a storm. The kid that threw my plow on. Told me his father fired a kid first day for using wire nuts on the head light connenctions. Alot of these people that have issues with plows I think comes from that the dealer installed plow. Not a shop that wont cut corners. I know your plow is old and has been worked on. Its like my boss always says "I can fix that in 2 minutes" And then I always ask how long will it take you to fix it right? He fixes things enough to get them working
  17. wirenut

wirenut Senior Member
    from nh

you need to mount those relays and solder those sta-kons. crimp connectors suck for auto wiring
    those terminations are 90% of your problem.....
  18. wirenut

wirenut Senior Member
    from nh

clean your battery and cables while your at it
  19. microtcip

microtcip Junior Member

Now I just need to lights to work!

Hello Everyone!

Well, I have great news and not so great news..... I purchased the new relays, replaced all the wiring connectors and try to follow the wiring diagram, by that I mean I have 2 brown wires, but one of them had added a piece of read wire, so I assumed that as the red wire.

So, the plow moves up down, and both sides I just do not have any lights!!! When ever I try to turn the lights on the plow which used to be turning the high beam on, a buzzer noise came from the relay.... I removed that so called red wire and still no light but the plow functions are still working.

I was looking into my head lamp connector and in there I recognized the real red wire from the plow wires attached to the green headlamp connection.

So as of right now I have a mystery brown wire that used to go to the old relay disguised as a red wire and a huge mess with my light wires... two things working against me right now are very little space behind the headlamp connections with very short wires (this guys cut those wires short and yes, they were attached with house electrical wire nuts purplebou and I am working outside which is kind of cruel for the hands... I was hopping for a short solution now that could take me through Winter....

Any ideas?

I also have two weeks old batteries and batteries connectors....

Many thanks,

20. BigDave12768

BigDave12768 PlowSite.com Addict

Take the plow lights apart. Undo the turning lamps and head lamps. then see if it buzz's. Plug each one in till you find problem sounds like a ground/postive make be backwards. Then once it buz's look at connections on truck maybe you got em backwards