1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

My Plow Will Not Raise Up

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by Lawn Care Plus, Dec 18, 2006.

1. Lawn Care Plus

Lawn Care Plus Senior Member

I have a GMC84 3500 Dump with a huge Western Plow on it.

The plow (ram) will not raise up. I have had the motor off, and it appairs to work. I have had the pump out of the pump housing and it is spinning free.

The valves are packed well with grease, so I do not think that they are frozen up.

The plow was not working, then worked a little and quit again.

The housing apears to have tranny fluid in it rather than the yellow color hydro fluid.

The local guy that could look at it further cannot look at it now until after the first of the year.

Please help.!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thank you,

2. dodge rammin

dodge rammin Member

Is it cable operated or the new style? Have you checked your solenoid? Does it have side to side movement?
  3. Lawn Care Plus

Cable operated.

I have not checked the side to side yet.

If side to side works, then what?

If it does not work, then what?

Thank you,

4. dodge rammin

dodge rammin Member

If the side to side works it isn't the solenoid, if it doesn't then it could be a solenoid. Make sure all connections are clean and making contact - dielectric grease is priceless on plow connectors.
  5. popov_plow

popov_plow Junior Member

if the motor runs when your control is in the "up/raise" position, you probably have a bad raise cable or you need to adjust the cable.

I wouldnt recommend paying someone to look at it anyways. I'm not the most talented wrench in the world. but I've been able to troubleshoot and repair mine pretty easily. You can download the manual for these plows on westerns site
    Last edited: Dec 21, 2006
  6. Lawn Care Plus

It was the motor. I changed it out and the plow raises quick.

7. itsgottobegreen

itsgottobegreen PlowSite.com Addict

What ever you do keep running ATF in that pump unless you flush out the whole system really good. Because plow fluid and ATF do not get along real well. Western used ATF in all their pumps till about 2004.
  8. Lawn Care Plus

Thank you for the info.

I did notice that in one of their manual diagrams that I dl off of the web site. So trans fluid it is.

Thank you again.

9. IndySnowPlow

IndySnowPlow Senior Member
    from Indiana

Hydraulic fluids

BLUE "Snow Plow" fluid = ATF (automatic transmission fluid) OR Hydraulic fluid.

Hydraulic fluids :::like motor oil:::: come in different viscosity and yes you should not mix them. We have started using heavy equipment hydro fluid in our pumps and it is more of a milky white color and resists break down from high heat & does not seems to thicken as it gets cold. We have one pump running regular Dexron-3, one with Snow Plow hydro fluid and all others with the H-E hydro fluid...Should be a good test to see whats what.

H-E Hydro fluid $8.00 Gallon

ATF Dexron-3 $2.00 quart

Snow Plow Fluid $4 to 9.00 per quart (depending where you buy it)