1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

My plow truck safety recall. What to do?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by NickyBombs, Nov 18, 2006.

1. NickyBombs

NickyBombs Member

:dizzy: I just got a letter today from gm stating that my 2004 Chevy Silverado 3500 plow truck has a safety recall. Something to do with the leather seats interfering with the airbag sensors. So they want to buy back the truck. The problem is that I have the truck already setup for my fisher xblade and vbox spreader and other accessories. I'm hoping that they pay for installation of the plow and vbox. Thats if the setup works on the newer 3500 silverado.

Some help would be great. I'm in a tight spot now that winters approaching.:dizzy:

2. Rampart Ranger

Rampart Ranger Senior Member

I seriously doubt that GM will buy back your truck. They may correct the problem at no cost (apart from your loss of time and use).

You will have to decide if it is worth your loss of time and use to have the problem corrected.

3. oldmankent

oldmankent PlowSite.com Addict

I"d think they would just fix the problem and send you on your way.

4. derekbroerse

derekbroerse 2000 Club Member

They wanna buy back a 3 (model) year old truck? If its for full value, figure out the cost of transferring the gear to a new truck and see whats worth it...

Even better would be if you could leave it until spring at this point and put another plow season's worth of wear on the truck before handing it back to them...

Not sure what can be so wrong with it's leather seats that they wouldn't just repair or replace the seats...?

Can you post the content of the letter?

5. Sweetpete

Sweetpete Senior Member

Perhaps you read the letter wrong. Or, it's possible they included a "come in and we'll purchase your truck for a new one" sales pitch.

Either way, get the recall done and keep the truck.

6. NickyBombs

NickyBombs Member

safety recall 06102

GM sent me the safety recall notice explailing. "Because a replacement leather seat cover that is comparable with the passenger sensing system is not available, General Motors will purchase your vehicle for the full price you paid for it, including taxes and fees, if the vehicle is returned to General Motors possesion by January 31, 2007. There will be no deductions for mileage or use unless the vehicle has sustained substaintial damage beyond normal wear and tear." the letter then goes on to say that GM will pay for the removal of any aftermarket accessories that you may have installed before this notification and return them to you. If you no longer have any use for those accessories or they cannot be removed, General Motors will reimburse you for the purchase price of those accessories."

Any help ?????:dizzy:

7. oldmankent

oldmankent PlowSite.com Addict

I'd go in and get the ball rolling. See what they'll give you, what you can get setup with as another vehicle, and how long or if they can swap your gear over to the new truck. Sounds like you may be screwed sort of. I mean you're possibly getting a new truck out of it, but it could be a real pain in the ass to do the swap. Lost work time, lost accounts possible?...

8. derekbroerse

derekbroerse 2000 Club Member

My big question would be 'how quick can they make this happen?'

If they will pay for the accessories to be swapped over, that would mean a new mount if necessary etc.

If they can do it all in a short amount of time, get a backup plan in order and get it in ASAP. It might be a pain but you'd have to consider it as having had the truck for free all this time.

9. NickyBombs

NickyBombs Member

Yeah, thats what I was thinking. It's both good and bad because yes I will get a new truck out of the deal but I will get all the headaches of transferring everything over to the new setup. Which may require a new plow mount. wiring etc, Plus all the time and money of getting this taken care of before the weather starts to turn. I will call them on monday to see what my options are. Hopefully they will pay for the new installation as well. We'll see.

10. framer1901

framer1901 Senior Member

Wait a minute here..........

GM sends you a letter saying they are buying a truck back that you've driven for three years, and they're giving you full purchase price???? And you are thinkin about it?? I'd freakin run to the dealership yesterday for that deal.... Hands down, no questions at all.

Dude, that truck has depreciated at least 6 grand - and you are getting it all back, free. If they kept your freakin plow it'd be a sweet deal.

You could have a truck rewired and set up by the end of next week.

This deal seems just too good to be true though, there's gotta be something more to it. I'm telling you, even if they kept the plow and gave you nothing for the plow, just full purchase price on the truck, the deal is way in your favor.

11. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

I agree with framer1901. I have a 2004 with leather. I will give them my truck, plow, LineX and chip if they want to give me full money back. That would be some sweet deal every 3 years.

12. 04superduty

04superduty PlowSite.com Addict

one question is does your truck have the plow prep package on it? if not they might give you some crap.

13. mike33

mike33 Senior Member

Bobcatservice

So what if you have to buy a mount and even pay labor to un-re install. New mount: 400.00 labor: 400.00 = $800.00 . Ill take that deal any time for a 3 year old truck. Hell i would even supply the coffee and donuts for the techs. to do the work.
    Mike

14. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

They say they will remove the accessories and return them to you- so they will take the plow off and return it to you or if it can;t be removed they will pay you the cost of it. SO, they may very well buy back the truck, the dealer will sell you a new one and GM may simply opt to eat the cost of a new plow setup- since wholesale to them will probabily run right up to the removal and delivery costs. If they don;t offer it as an option I would inquire and bring the cost factor to their attention.

they're offering to buy it back because ther have no way to replace the seatcover and still give you the leather option you bought- they will pull the seats out and replace them with cloth then resell it as a program truck.

15. Craftybigdog

Craftybigdog Senior Member

Man that would seem to good to be true.

16. LLM Ann Arbor

LLM Ann Arbor Senior Member

Hell Id run to the dealer and toss in my ex wife for free.

Get going son!

The thing is once they see the plow they will want to pro rate the refund and offer id bet. Even with it being a 1 ton.

Keep us posted.

17. flykelley

flykelley 2000 Club Member

Hi Nicky
    I hate to burst your bubble but something is wrong here. I work for Gm at the truck plant in Pontiac Mi, up until 2 months ago I was assigned to Work at Lear Seating the supplier for GM Trucks for the last 11 years. I just read the line about the reason is because of the PODs system for the passanger seat, I don't think that system efects the seat cover at all. Lear started using the pod system in 2003 but all it is a sensor pad under the seat to tell how much the passenger weighs so it call tell the airbag how much force to deploy at. Let me call over to Lear and talk to the production manager to see if he has heard about this.We have used the same Leather covering in GM trucks for the last 6 years or so and GM can still get them for warranty work. Also if the heaters are bad and a safety risk there would be a recall on all of the trucks that had those seats. This would also include Tahoe's and Yukons SUVs. I would call Chevy Customer Service and ask them, something doesn't seem right here. They could give you all new seats alot cheaper than a new truck. Let us know what happen's after you talk to GM. Also if possible could you scan and post that letter so any of us who own a GM truck with leather seats might get the same deal.

Good Luck Mike

18. flykelley

Hi Guys
    Just got off the phone with the productiom manager at Laer Seating in Rochester Hills MI. As many of you know I worked there for 11 years while on special assignment for GM Truck Plant. He told me that he hasn't heard of any problems with the PODs system from 2003 and that even if there was a problem Lear still has service parts for the Pods and seat covers are also available. Im not saying this is a farce all Im saying is the sompany that build's the seats for Gm for the last 12 years hasn't heard a thing about this. I do hope its true for those of you who own a 2003 truck. The other thing I'm just thinking about is if you need to turn your truck in my Jan 07 what are they going to give you? We will be done building the old style 07 here in about 15 more days. I don't think GM is willing to give away the new style 07 for a 2003 truck.

Good Luck Mike

Last edited: Nov 20, 2006
  19. LLM Ann Arbor

LLM Ann Arbor Senior Member

Man you missed your calling Fly.

You shoulda been a cop or detective or investigative reporter. lol

Weren't you the one who outted Macomb all last year?

:waving:

20. flykelley

That was bunch of people who outed Macomb. Now Im not saying what Micki is claiming isn't true. Its just that I happen to spend 11 years at Lear so I know a little something about GM Trucks and the seats. After talking to the production manager again, he called me back to ask why would the recall only be on leather seats since all the seats use the same parts for the Pods system? I can't answer that one for him but he is correct the pods system is the same for all of the seats, it doesn't care if it covered in leather or cloth it still just sense's how much someone weighs in the passenger seat.

Regards Mike