1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

My plow restoration and modification project

Discussion in 'Equipment, Tools & Vehicle Pictures' started by kcplowman, Jan 24, 2012.

1. kcplowman

kcplowman Member

So with the lack of snow this year I have been bored so I started a new project today to keep me busy. I am going to post pics through the whole project. I picked up this old meyer 7.5 plow blade and aframe only. I am going to be completly tearing it down modifying it by adding aditional bracing and either an additional foot and a halt to 2 feet to it and adapting it to be used on a skid steer. Here is a few pics that I took today.

11-0EAE9191-555985-960.jpg

11-7B408A93-608638-960.jpg

The 2 photos above are what I have to start with. Luckily there are no holes in the moldboard. But the hinge pins were frozen and even with out springs I could not get the a frame and blade to trip. Ended up cutting the pins to get the a frame removed and was able to drive one of the pins out but the other looks like its not the proper pin and someone just drove it in and in the process the sleeve in the a frame that it goes into split. There are a couple broken welds on the moldboard as well.

11-B1AE89E1-922951-960.jpg

11-B5183B1F-570470-960.jpg

Above pic is cutting the angle for the additional bracing

12-B881EC5D-509255-960.jpg

And this one is after i got the extra braces cut and just set in place to make sure the fit. and they did fit perfect. I am adding these because I feel that the current bracing is not going to be enough after I and another foot on each side. Im going to post pics every day until its done. Not sure when it will be done yet. Thats all gonna depend how much time I have each day to put into it. Probably wouldnt take all that long if i spent all day on it but for now it is just something to keep me occupied when I have some spare time.

11-0EAE9191-555985-960.jpg

11-7B408A93-608638-960.jpg

11-B1AE89E1-922951-960.jpg

11-B5183B1F-570470-960.jpg

12-B881EC5D-509255-960.jpg

2. born2farm

born2farm 2000 Club Member

Looking good. Keep us updated on the project.

3. kcplowman

kcplowman Member

Someone managed to wear the cutting edge down all the way and up to the bolts at one point in time so I cut the bottom piece of angle off and am going to replace it.

008.jpg

after i got it cleaned up a little

011.jpg

Rolling the extensions for the moldboard

018.jpg

Now gettin them welded on still have some work to do on this side

042.jpg

051.jpg

Got some of the additional bracing welded in. Ill probably pick up a piece of angle for the bottom tomorrow and finish up the blade on thurs then on to the a frame and the skid mount then paint

008.jpg

011.jpg

042.jpg

018.jpg

051.jpg

4. vegaman04

vegaman04 Senior Member

Real nice start, keep it up

5. SnowMatt13

SnowMatt13 PlowSite.com Addict

Looks like a good project, keep us updated. You do very nice work.

6. csi.northcoast

csi.northcoast Senior Member

nice work nice shop nice tools...i am jealous

7. NickT

NickT Senior Member

I would love to have all that equipment , good luck, I was wondering with that additional bracing will the trip springs have enough clearance? I was thinking of adding that to mine when I fab up some wings

8. warrior88

warrior88 Member

Subbed for updates. Looks great man keep us postedQ

9. kcplowman

kcplowman Member

I will let you know if there is clearence when I am done. Im adding a couple more springs so if those 2 dont clear it isnt too big of a deal I can just make a new bracket for them.

10. jvm81

jvm81 Senior Member
    from Midwest

Are you also in the fab business? Nice tools you got there!

11. kcplowman

kcplowman Member

Im not in the fab business I am a landscaper. I am doing all this at my buddies shop. He is in the fab business for a living. I help him out in my slow season and that is where I learned to weld and fabricate. Yeah alot of the tools do make things nice. especially the roll for the moldboard stuff. Once I finish this project im thinking about building a plow from scratch with my own design. Probably do a 9 or 10 foor trip edge. Or I have been thinking about doing a v plow or a plow with hydraulic wings.

12. birddseedd

birddseedd PlowSite Veteran

I wana see more :)

13. TheLawnRanger2

TheLawnRanger2 Member

How about a C plow / V plow with hydraulic wings. :D If you could pull that off I would seriously consider buying one. I have a Hiniker C plow now and I love it, but I'd love to have the other stuff too.