1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

my plow refurb has taken a bad turn..

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by Gear_Head, Sep 28, 2009.

1. Gear_Head

Gear_Head Senior Member
    from IL

So I bought a plow for my truck and knew I was going to refurb it. I have been doing most of it myself, but the front of the plow had some pin hole rust spots in them, surrounded by some weakened metal. I began patching the holes but my buddys mig welder ran out of flux core and I noticed the "pin holes" were a little more rotten than they appeared. I decided to stop and have it blasted, finish up when I could see what I had to work with.

A local place quoted me $150 for to blast the moldboard and prime it. I dropped it off and the lady said "we have a fab shop, we could finish patching it for you". Wanting to finish the project made me tempted so I told her to have their guy call me with an estimate.

He never called, I called a few days later and was told, he will call. Called a few days later again and was told "I think it goes to paint tomorrow". I never got a call with an estimate, but they patched it anyhow and now they are gonna paint it?

I make a special trip there to get it and can not believe my eyes! They "patched" it by placing plates of steel over the rust holes...huge plates. They did not weld them flush, but just stuck them on the moldboard. They didn't even pay attention and welded the plates in the way of my cutting bar, so now I can't get it back on.

Needless to say, I did not pay for it or take it home. The guy who is never there is suppose to call me tomorrow and I can't wait....oh and my bill was $300. Had they patched it right, I think that would have been a fair price, but why would I go thru the trouble of blasting it and talking it to a professional for a hack job?

2. stroker79

stroker79 2000 Club Member

WOW, i kinda dont know what to say. I guess youll just have to wait and see what this guy says. But put pressure on them, done wait for the call, keep calling yourself. Sheesh, good luck and let us know what happens!

3. Gear_Head

Gear_Head Senior Member
    from IL

will do. I was gonna post up my pics of the finished product and still plan on it.

4. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

Thats too bad, sounds like they need a lesson on communication. As far as patching it, I believe thats how all plows are patched, I have never seen anything other than that. I wouldnt give in though, thats B.S.!

5. Clapper&Company

Clapper&Company PlowSite Veteran
    from NE OHIO

Yea, I've never seen a plow patch flush, not sure u could even do it that way.

But yea, give them hell...

6. Gear_Head

Gear_Head Senior Member
    from IL

I had 2 completely done flush on it. Ground the welds down, a little filler and they never would have seen the patch.

I have seen a lot of plows...I basically drive around for a living, and have never seen a patch like that.

7. APLC

APLC Senior Member

Give em hell if its what you want its not what you want

8. rb8484

rb8484 Senior Member

Keep us up to date on what happens......hope they make it right for you!!

9. TJS

TJS PlowSite.com Addict

I have done patches on plows and other equipment and I have never done a patch over the top of anything. You make it fit flush with time and skill. Sounds like that sandblaster and so called fab shop has no clue. Good luck. This is why I do all my own stuff.
    T.J.

10. Gear_Head

Gear_Head Senior Member
    from IL

I usually will too, but I needed it blasted and was tempted to be done with it.

the latest:

His excuse for doing it so sloppy, was that they have done hundreds of snow plows. Also said, "it is just a snow plow". Maybe to him it is, but I like to make ALL of my stuff look nice.

So, the funny part. He told me he will grind the plates off and blast it again. I told him blasting it again was not needed, but he told me I wasn't getting it with "his" paint on it. The paint he sprayed it with was so light, it almost looked pink...so no sweat off my back.

I did explain to him I wanted them removed with a grinder, not a torch. He assured me they would. My fear is I will now find it with big gaping holes in the Moldboard.

11. Clapper&Company

from NE OHIO

So did u get your plow back? What was the outcome?

12. Gear_Head

Gear_Head Senior Member
    from IL

I was in training all last week, so I couldn't get it when he called on Thursday. A buddy and I are going down tomorrow to get it. I will post up pics.

13. Clapper&Company

from NE OHIO

Good deal.... were waitting to see it

14. Keith_480231

Keith_480231 Senior Member

Sounds like those big honking patches are covering up somebody's f up!

15. Banger

Banger Member

X1 ^

Sounds like a bunch of hacks to me.
    Years back, I used thick sheet metal for some pin holes I had on a older Conventional. Its lasted for years w/me and then sold it off. I seen it working a few years later still holding up wesport

I also had a older uni mount on a different truck that had some cancer on the board. I cut out the rot in a few sections with a plasma torch and filled it with new plates and welds. Ground the hell out of the high aera (front and back) since it was not on a flat surface. I had it powder coated again, it was really hard to see the patches even.

I'm not one for just slapping on a plate of steel unless its a emergency repair.I like to have things looking nice also and would have been pissed off too!

Hope it all turns out!

16. f250man

f250man PlowSite Veteran

You could of had it reskined for $ 300 or done it yourself for far less. Hope you get it back in time to fix it right.

17. Gear_Head

Gear_Head Senior Member
    from IL

this is the route I should have prolly gone, but honestly didn't know much about it or how hard it would be. I wouldn't know who to ask if they could do it if I had it done.

I got it back today, loading pics now.

18. Gear_Head

Gear_Head Senior Member
    from IL

So I went and picked it up today. He was still a jerk about it, has No people skills. However, the blasting and primer was done VERY nicely. He also had the patches removed from their hack job and it was hard to tell they even had them on there.

I think I took this after I started prepping for my patches. tomorrow they get welded in it. Plow will never look new, I am thinking about putting a lexan skin on it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

19. Clapper&Company

from NE OHIO

Well it dosent look to hack up and they did do a nice job blasting

20. stroker79

stroker79 2000 Club Member

It looks much better than I was expecting. So after all that you are just going to put a poly cover on it? Too funny.