1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

My plow raises a few inches, then quits.

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by mikeglaser, Jan 25, 2012.

1. mikeglaser

mikeglaser Junior Member
    from alaska

My 2 year old HD plow just started doing this. I thought it might be just low on fluid so I topped it off (which took about a cup). I put new electrical grease on the connections. I thought there was some improvement, but now it seem to be bogging down again.
    Would shortening the chain help? The hydraulic cylinder ram is halfway extended when it starts to pick up the plow. Thanks for any suggestions.

2. When you say "quits" do you mean the pump stops or the lift piston is maxed out? If your lift piston is truly half extended when the plow is on the ground you could definitely shorten the chain some. In my opinion, you want about 2 inches of the lift piston chrome showing when the plow is on level ground.

Now if your pump motor is stopping before the plow is raised, you've got other issues. By design, the pump will only run so long and it will shut off. If it's lifting slowly and straining to do so, the first thing I would check is for a clogged filter in the reservoir.