1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

my plow got tore up...

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by redstroker_2002, Dec 15, 2009.

1. redstroker_2002

redstroker_2002 Member

All from this last big storm alot of people got..

I did hit a concrete lip pretty hard which some of this might be from but some of the damage was preexisted from the previous owner.. It will look factor after I fix it. I am a little bummed it looks like it got in a wreck but honestly it was so cold out Im sure it didnt take much for this to happen. PS It was just a $hitty day.. as the turbo went out of the plow truck the same day lol
    this is a perfect break around so idk what failed. very weird break
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. AiRhed

AiRhed Senior Member

Might have been the (signature estimated: EFI Live from Husker Diesel) 7 to 800lb-ft of torque your pushing with that LB7 that lead to such a failure when you met that "concrete lip" Round here we call them curbs...

3. redstroker_2002

redstroker_2002 Member

i plow with a 2002 f 350 psd. its at about 300 hp rather than 500 lol. It wasnt a curb it was a gravel lot to a concrete lot that meet together and there was a pot hole right before the concrete. The raise bar had rust on it so it was previously cracked and i finished it off i guess. and the wing broke when i stacked a little snow. it just broke i didnt hit anything

4. AiRhed

AiRhed Senior Member

Then whats all this?
    Anyway, Those transition edges make ya pucker a bit every time. I had my Boss 9'2" pushin and stackin more at once than I probably should have this past storm. Had to use 1st gear 4x4. Sure hope mine doesn't end up like that too. I'm headed out now to go grease the center pin now that I know it can/should be done.

5. fireboy6413

fireboy6413 Senior Member

ouch!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

6. redstroker_2002

redstroker_2002 Member

Thats my duramax. It stays in the garage when theres salt out. It doesnt like to work it likes to play lol. I use the ford for the work lol
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. maelawncare

maelawncare Senior Member

Thats the best thing i've heard in a while :D

8. Quality SR

Quality SR PlowSite.com Addict

That looks like it hurt a little. I remember reading this before in the Boss section. If i can remember there was an issue with the head gear. I think in the earlier year RT3's?? :confused:
    By the way NICE Dmax!!! wesport

9. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Get the welder out!
    I broke both return spring tabs too ,no big deal. Don't for get net time to put washers and nuts on both sides,it should help from pulling the bolt through again.

10. RBRONKEMA GHTFD

RBRONKEMA GHTFD 2000 Club Member

The head gear issue is from stacking snow. That the 3rd time I've seen that on here.

11. redstroker_2002

redstroker_2002 Member

thanks man :)

Ya the other wing looks like its ready to bust also.

Im replacing the whole head gear tube with a heavier duty one and so it looks factory. wesport

12. Deco

Deco Senior Member

looks like your a plowbeater:laughing:

13. redstroker_2002

redstroker_2002 Member

ugh... no :help:

14. metallihockey88

metallihockey88 PlowSite.com Addict

if more people would finally just admit this too :p

15. kah68

kah68 Senior Member

You know I keep hearing that and I really have a hard time believing one of the biggest selling features of a V plow is the very cause of a failure. I wish someone would show me in writing where it says 'do not stack snow with this plow' not breakin balls RB just doesn't make sense to me.

K

16. RBRONKEMA GHTFD

RBRONKEMA GHTFD 2000 Club Member

Its mostly from guys running up the piles trying to get the snow as high as possible. Granted the plow has "give" or movement so to speak when mounted, its not ment to go past its highest point. I.E. Boss's engineering specs. But when the cylinder is closed or retracted all that energy has to go somewhere.

17. NICHOLS LANDSCA

NICHOLS LANDSCA PlowSite Veteran

A buddy runs 11 Boss's and has had 2 break and 1 crack they seem to break at the weld. He cutout the round tube and put square tube in (like the older ones)

Last edited: Dec 17, 2009
  18. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Your Boss doesn't have stops on it? If you look you'll find that it does, and they'll stop the upward movnment of the blade BEFORE the lift cylinder runs out of travel....just as Boss's engineering specs determined. So thus the cylinder isn't the mechanical "stop" and can not transfer this so called "energy" into the cross bar.

Because broken cross bars on a Boss are not due to stacking. If it were, the cross bar would break/crack on the top....not the bottom as they always do when they do.

19. KBTConst

KBTConst Senior Member

I hear thats the first step to recovery xysport

20. redstroker_2002

redstroker_2002 Member

my plow is back together :D I will be posting pics