1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

My Own HOA

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by herb1001, Feb 2, 2011.

1. herb1001

herb1001 Senior Member

I live in a town house and I got a letter today from my HOA that I am in violation of rules because we are not allowed to have commercial vehicles in our driveways. My plates are not commercial and I do not have letters on my truck. Just a snow plow on a regular pick up truck.

Oh well I just put the plow in the garage and moved the truck into a parking spot. Cant say I didnt make an effort.

Anyone ever have trouble with this?

Thanks

2. djjs

djjs Junior Member
    from NJ

I had something similar before my wife and I moved into our house, the complex we were living at had no problem with my daily driver f350 being parked in the lot even though it was lettered and had commercial plates, but once the plow went on it before a storm they would b*tch, I got a few letters from the assocation even though I took the plow off after every storm. Once the hack they hired to plow the parking lots stopped showing up in a blizzard suddenly I was everyones best friend. Ended up landing the year round contract on the property and that definately helped the down payment on the house funny how things work out sometimes

3. wellnermp

wellnermp Senior Member
    from Alaska

That seems pretty silly to me. Almost like they don't like to admit that people in the community have to work for a living. It's not like you have a box van parked out front. Maybe you could get them to further explain their deffinition of a "commercial vehicle."

4. sweetk30

sweetk30 PlowSite.com Addict

x2 if you ask me .

5. bighornjd

bighornjd Senior Member

I would tell them a 'commercial vehicle' is something that requires a 'commercial driver's license' or CDL. A pickup is under 26,000 and doesn't need one. See how that works, lol. Actually, I would tell them to go **** themselves. I can't stand HOA's and will NEVER live someplace that has one. It's bad enough having to follow some of the rules in some townships or cities. Even worse trying to follow the rules of a bunch of paper pushers and soccer moms who make them up as they go along and don't have a lick of common sense. I don't need to pay some outrageous HOA fee every year so I can be told what I can and can't do. I already pay a mortgage and taxes and have the state and township telling me those things. No need to make things worse. JMO. Glad I live in bumfuq, tired of everyone else moving here and ruining it though.

6. Mabepossibly

Mabepossibly Senior Member

Thats why I love living in the country. I could park a dump truck full of aids in my driveway and not a word would be said.

7. clark lawn

clark lawn PlowSite.com Addict
    from NE ohio

i'll bet that the rules have alway been there. i love it when people dont do their homework before they do something and then get pi$$ed when they called on it.

8. thelettuceman

thelettuceman PlowSite.com Addict

I live in a development with the same rules. I have not been bothered by the HOA

9. KEC Maintaince

KEC Maintaince Senior Member
    from N.J.

HOA can write their own rules.
    now the question is if you do use the truck for business...if so then it is technically a commercial vehicle.
    i said technically even if you do not have commercial plates on the truck. i agree with you on this i am not bashing here
    now. you have to get a copy of the HOA agreement and see if it states that they consider pick up trucks all sizes to be considered commercial.
    by putting a plow on the truck if you ae not using it for personal use say to plow your own stores or driveway and are using it to make money then they can tell you it is commercial..
    technically it is and should carry all the commercial insurance that is if you use it to plow other then personal use.
    i know how many trucks have them with out commercial plates but thats not the point.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2011
  10. LB1234

LB1234 Member

agreed there are reasons the rules are there. pay rent or move somewhere where this won't apply.

11. Westhardt Corp.

Westhardt Corp. Senior Member

So I guess this wouldn't fly in his 'hood, eh?

[​IMG]

:mechanic:

12. Surfdunn

Surfdunn Member

:laughing::laughing:

13. Montosi82

Montosi82 Member

Mabepossibly
    Junior Member Join Date: Dec 2010

Thats why I love living in the country. I could park a dump truck full of aids in my driveway and not a word would be said.

I almost spit out my jack and coke when i read that.

14. woodchuck2

woodchuck2 Senior Member

I am wondering where he lives so i dont turn around in his driveway!! :laughing:

15. MetroplexPlow

MetroplexPlow Junior Member

same thing flys in reguards to utility trailers , campers (of any sort) Mobile home parks have these rules as well , No commerical vehicles, no trailers, campers , etc only allowed to have 1 vehicle PER driver per HOUSEhold. ... hmmm - did random check of development , found 6-7 trailers (utility) in various places on property of Each Tenant's property . also guy living aprox 7-10 trailers down has Desiel dodge and 34ft (give or take) 5th wheel trailer he constantly brought home .. HMM who's sucking who's ________ ? TOTALLY unfair i got kicked out that place for having a load of trash ( 1 treadmill) in the back of my truck . yea - you can't have nothing in the back of your pickups either !!! Nazis! B.s if you can afford to buy the house out right and pay lot rent and you don't bother no one i don't see a problem with having a utility trailer , or camper . i've seen some mobile home parks who accomidate for these and campers in another location in the park.. This one not! Its not beverely hills ! shesh. If your doing what you have to do to earn a living and put food on the table and pay the bills do what you have to do . Thats exactly what i was doing.

16. rcr4w

rcr4w Member

I agree with you guys I will never move back to any city and if your defintion of a commercial vehicle is something you make money with then everyone who drives a vehicle to work owns a commercial vehicle

17. rich414

rich414 Senior Member

IF you can get on the HOA board and then you can make the rules to best suit your needs!

18. TSherman

TSherman Member

I actually choked on popcorn!

19. bln

bln Senior Member

I had problems with my hoa. They wrote me a letter so I went to a board meeting. At that meeting they were going to pass a bylaw that prevents someone from running their business out of their house. I asked them how they were going to enforce seeing how our township doesn't have any laws against it. Long story short they can write all the letters they want but if it isn't against the law they can't do squat. I Guess I'm the A-hole of the sub.

20. clp94

clp94 Member
    from S.E MA

personally id tell them to go pound sand out their ass...thats just me.