1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

my other half filed in small claims to sue her last employer for eleven hundred bucks

Discussion in 'Business Fundamentals' started by bribrius, Jul 30, 2008.

1. bribrius

bribrius PlowSite.com Addict

and change.

it is for back mileage and tolls they were supposed to cover.

not sure how this works but she filed on the local branch so they should be getting the summons tomorrow. the headquarters is out west somewhere so she just did the local branch.

figured one of you would have some input.. scary thing is we arent exactly sure how much they owe her since they paid some by writing it up in overtime instead of a expenses allotment so parts were mixed in with her hours worked. i think she basically figured it out best she could and filed on about what she thought they owed. the company wouldnt give her a statement of what they paid toward the mileage and what they havent paid. they also stopped paying toward the back mileage owed and she nolonger works there. enough said i guess. lol.

will the local branch suffice? any input?

2. Camden

Camden PlowSite Fanatic

If she filed in the wrong jurisdiction the judge will tell her that right away. I'm guessing for $1100 the company won't even respond, your "other half" will win by default and then you'll never collect a dime.

Just because you get a judgement doesn't mean you'll get paid.

3. bribrius

i hear you on that because i already have a judgement on someone for over four k that they never paid. problem with them is they moved and i dont know where they work so i cant haul them back into court. i was hoping a company would be easier because they just dont pick up and dissappear but you may be right.

4. bribrius

life would just be so much easier if people just paid their bills. :nod:

5. iceyman

iceyman 2000 Club Member

that would eliminate all the fun in the business:rolleyes:

6. snowguys

snowguys Senior Member

yea tell me about it im out $11,000 :realmad:

7. elite1msmith

elite1msmith 2000 Club Member
    from chicago

she might need provff of these driven miles, like a log book

remember incent till proven guilty ,, she will need to prove it

If i were her, i would try to call her bluff and settle for a lump sum check for 75%

8. PDQ Pete

PDQ Pete Senior Member

Snowguys who made you for the eleven grand?

9. iceyman

iceyman 2000 Club Member

theres nothing you can do about it..thats a nice chunk of change...find out where the guy lives and pay a visit

10. elite1msmith

elite1msmith 2000 Club Member
    from chicago

yep........

11. Turf Commando

Turf Commando Senior Member

Even if you receive judgment, you have to obtain it ...
    Try garnishment...? nope they can quit .
    Can you get (blood) from turnip ...? nope (live, learn, move on) ..

12. MSS Mow

MSS Mow Senior Member
    from Maine

A local drunk was fined by a judge and promptly told the judge he couldn't get "blood" from a turnip. The judge was quick with his response: "No, but I can keep the turnip."