1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

My Oshkosh with V Plow

Discussion in 'Equipment, Tools & Vehicle Pictures' started by Big Chief, Nov 5, 2005.

1. Big Chief

Big Chief Member

This is my 1971 P2427 with the V plow on that I have not used cause I have a oneway and this summer I set the truck up for a 2 way which I purchased at a State Of Neb. auction for 350.00

oshkoshfour.JPG

2. Oshkosh

Oshkosh PlowSite.com Addict

Kremling?

You dont snowmobile do you?I was out at Chicken riding Quads this August.

3. danno

danno Senior Member

WOW, that`s some rig ! :eek:

4. jiriki87

jiriki87 Member

That things a beast!!! Do you guys have enough snow in Kremmling for that plow? Could of used it a few times up in Steamboat last winter. County plowing can be intresting when the wind starts blowing. mark

5. Big Chief

Big Chief Member

Mark in Steamboat

Yes Mark, We got a lot of snow here last winter though the key is the private subdivisions I plow are higher up than Kremmling as you know Kremmling is in the valley. I have 2 of these trucks. My other one is not as pretty as the one I posted here but has a little more power. It has a cat 1673C turbocharged diesel but it has had a lot tougher life working for Grand county. My 1971 is from a township in Wisconsin. There is actually more work than I care to do for a rig like mine. I charge 100.00 an hour for straight plowing and 130.00 for pushback. Hope you get this, Grant.

6. Oshkosh

That is a pretty good rate.

How many hours do you average per winter?
    I was paid pretty much the same for my Oshkosh back here in Massachusetts but the hours varied.My worst season was 55 hours my best 250.
    Allan.

7. Big Chief

Big Chief Member

Hey Oshkosh

I'm not sure on hours I will have plowing this winter as I have twice as much work this winter and I started plowing Jan. 19 last winter. Was fairly busy the rest of the winter though. I formed an LLC called Big Chief Custom Plowing LLC and have 5 contracts without even advertising. I don't want anymore plow work cause I work full time as a Ski Lift Mechanic at Keystone ski resort. I have been there almost 24 years. One of my contracts is 12 miles of rural gravel road. It'll make YA Pucker. Definatly a good adrenalin rush for an aging ski bum!! I was up there this weekend marking the edge of the road where there was no references so as not to end up spending my whole winters profit on getting pulled out. I will take a camera with me on the first big dump. The views are excellant!! I have driven alot of different equipment on the MTN. and my Oshkosh is as fun as the newest snowcat!! I have 2 Oshkoshs: 1971 P2427 and 1974 P2025 The 74 is my backup cat. Thanks, Grant.

8. Big Chief

Big Chief Member

Oshkosh you out there?

I was wondering if you read my reply?

9. Oshkosh

I'm here

You have a couple of nice rigs.That is a good wage for up in the hills.
    Allan

10. Oshkosh

Grant,I think you are pretty close to my cousins

Hi, My cousins are on County Rd 87 in Granby.
    I spent two weeks out there at the end of August after Sturgis.Took a ride over to Cripple Creek for a rally and rode quads up to chicken,My cousin was good friends with Marv so we said hi to him while we where up there.
    My rate back here north of Boston was $120 per hour with wing,$140 for the belly blade.You arnt doing to bad out your way,more snow and a good rate.
    Allan

11. Oshkosh

Did you see my ole girl?

Grant, did you see my ole girl on your other post?
    What size rubber on your trucks? I tell you the 14X24s 24ply on mine where a friggin pain in my back.lol

12. Big Chief

Big Chief Member

Tires

Hello Oshkosh, I have been in the summit county/Kremmling areas for almost 24 years now but I don't know where Chicken is. Yes I saw your trucks as I have been looking at all the posts and I was wonderin why you got rid of her? Lets talk tires: I had old Goodyear High Milers on my 1971 P2427 when I bought it and they were Biasply. Might as well run hard plastic if you know what I mean. Strictly for blacktop plowing. They were in excellant shape but was constantly chaining up. Started shopping around for super singles as that is what Grand county runs on all their Oshkoshs here. They were super expensive but if you have been watching the government surplus sites they are selling huge lots of tires from trucks going and coming from the middle east!! I started working the guys on the internet that are selling these tires and I bought almost brand new (95% tread) Michelin XL 1505/80R20 with a rating of 12,500 lbs. a tire at 120psi. These are VERY agressive tires. I paid 700.00 for 4 tires shipped from Eau Claire Wi. Yes, 700.00 including shipping. I had to buy the tubes directly from a Michelin dealer and that added another 250.00. Not bad though! My 1974 P2025 I bought from Grand county came with almost new super singles so I am set there. It is a snowin here now so I hope I am plowing tomorrow!! If not they are saying storm warning for tommorow night! Thanks, Grant.

13. Oshkosh

I had a mix of...

Hi Grant,
    When I bought the truck it was just released from the Gov.Was based up at Limestone Airforce Base in Maine.They had parked the truck against the fench after a season of plowing and when they went to start it it was stuck.They had to do a top end at 7,000 miles(Gov at its best)BUT they didnt time it right and something witht the injecter and piston well the engine came apart again,piston cyl head etc...Then I got it,back to the story it had two military non directionals and two highmilers,talk about the worse tires in the world,I low bedded the truck home and found a set of General either H or G (H)CT's I think they where off a logging truck,good deep tread, good for the highway work I was doing.Didnt have much choice in used 14x24's 24ply, new radials where $1,000 each!I had called Oshkosh to try and put 20" rims on but it would have cost something like $10,000+tires.New backing plates, hubs, brake drums, rims etc......Talked to Clarence out there, he actually designed my truck back in 1968.One of six built for the Navy that year.Talk about over built the rear axle was rated at 44,000lbs single axle.Glad I never had to replace anything on that.lol
    I sold the truck due to the cost of doing business here in Massachusetts.It would cost me over $4,000 just to put it on the road every winter(reg,insurance).I would have to wait six months to get paid!!!! Now multiply that times four.Just got sick of the game.My buddy has it now, he still in love.It is Orange and black now,has a bigger one way one the front ,6'6" tall on the discharge.He is toying with putting a double wing on it.
    Chicken is up at Gravel,one of the big hills just outside of Grandlake.I used to go snowmobiling for two to three weeks every year out that way.Also did allot of back country riding at Rabbit Ears/back side of Steamboat.Almost stayed this summer.Figured I would find a job with all that building going on out there.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2005
  14. Big Chief

Big Chief Member

Love to see pictures

Hello Oshkosh, Sorry to here you couldn't make the numbers work out. I would love to see pictures of that unit if you could get some! I bet it looks sweet with the black and orange. I will get some more pictures of my 2 Rigs tommorrow as i have to shuffle my V plow around at my truck barn. That is if I'm not plowing. My insurance (liability too 1,000,000.00) is 1277.00 ayear. I only put it on my 1971 as my 1974 is a backup. I can switch back and forth between trucks with only a phone call. Registration is also round 1200.00. Colorado automatically charges you 10,000 miles until you resubmit the next year. Then you can apply for reimbursement if you have not run 10,000. I have run all the numbers though and if all is fairly normal as far as snow I should be able to do well. We always get snow though so I try not to worry too much bout my investment. Thanks, Grant.

15. Big Chief

Big Chief Member

Cj

Forgot to say, I have spoken with the real BIG CHIEF many many times: Clarence Jungwirth. Someone ought to do an autobiography bout him!! 62 years at Oshkosh Truck!!!

16. Oshkosh

I wish they would.

I wish someone would sit down with him and get his story.I could spend days with him and never get bored I bet.
    Freightliner almost screwed Oshkosh up.They came in and started throwing everything away over ten years old as far as paperwork.Said they didnt want to deal with the old iron,well we all know how that worked out for Freightliner, they are no longer with Oshkosh!They went with Ford after that,became Sterling.
    I am waiting for some photos of her pushing,Al said he would dig some up and I'll send them along.I have a TON of photos(Snowfighters,Walters,Oshkosh's,FWD's etc) but they are all packed away in a 40'storage trailer as I am in the process of moving further north.
    There was more to me getting out of trucking than just snow,I was on a project in Boston and had to wait minimum 90-120 days for pay there also,on paper I had six figures but my wallet wouldnt know it!!! Just got sick of chaseing money thats all.