1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

My only options this winter!

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by LarsonLawnCare, Dec 3, 2008.

1. LarsonLawnCare

LarsonLawnCare Member

Hand shovel, or large snow thrower for residential? I will have quite a few driveways...20+ I cannot afford a plow so that is not an option. Last winter, I did 20 driveways with my backpack blower and a shovel. It worked okay because the snow was mainly powder, it was deep so it took a while, but it was less fatigue as opposed to just shoveling. I have never used a snow thrower so I'm not sure if it will be fast enough for me. I know it will be less work for me especially if it is a heavy or deep snow. But If I were to get a wide snow thrower (36-45"), will it save time at all? I could not find any videos showing one in action. Thanks in advance for your opinions.
  2. 042500hd

042500hd Senior Member

Do you have a truck already? I'm asking because if you're looking at 45" wide throwers for the same money you could get yourself into a used plow. How are you billing your customers seasonally or per push? At 20 drives if you have a truck I think it would be a good idea to try for the plow, you'll also be able to add another 10 customers and get done in less time.
  3. iceyman

iceyman 2000 Club Member

4. MileHigh

MileHigh PlowSite.com Addict

That's pretty hardcore doing 20 drives with a backpack and a shovel....congrats on that.

I think you need a SINGLE STAGE blower. I say single stage, because the two stage ones I have not had to good of luck with. There really heavy so they need ramps to get out of the truck or two MEN to lift out. Mine went through shear pins like there was no tomorrow.

You could lift a single stage out by yourself and they work good for most accumulations.

Backpacks can be pretty effiecent when they have the power...something like a redmax ebz8001 works well.

Those huge snowblowers cost as much as a real nice used plow would as well....keep that in mind.
  5. TEX

TEX Senior Member

ill say this. thank you for getting out there and working. 20 drives with a blower and shovel shows that you will work and are strong both body and mind. just remember with a blower you will have to haul it somehow. unless you have a row of 10 houses and do both sides of the street.

if u do have any kind of 4x4 truck ranger, jeep, what ever try and get a used plow
  6. Exact Services

Exact Services Senior Member

+1 on the Toro single stage. Latest generation with the quick shoot are faster and very productive.

The amount of time required to unload a bigger machine with ramps you could already be halfway done, with some not all accounts, with the lighter lift and go Toro's payup
  7. LarsonLawnCare

LarsonLawnCare Member

As far as a used plow goes, the cheapest one I found was $3700(includes install) That's not really in my budget. A snow thrower I found for around $2500. And yea the 20 drives were tough, it took 14 hours, it took two days to recover. I don't think I want to do that again.
  8. tls22

tls22 PlowSite Veteran

Go get a snow thrower now, your body will thankyou later!:waving:
  9. BMWSTUD25

BMWSTUD25 Senior Member

You should be able to get a used plow for much less than that. Around here we can pick up used plows for about half of what your gonna pay for a large snowblower, i mean they arent anything special but a solid 7.6 straight plow should be easy to come by at a reasonable price and do your jobs with ease. Jmo best of luck this season
  10. Lil STX Ford

Lil STX Ford Senior Member

Hmmm walmarts here sell El Cheapo plows for like 1500$ light enuff that a LeCar could prob use it
  11. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

For $1500 you can get a REAL plow that is used. Don't buy a cheap plow....you will regret it. Check craigslist or ebay.
  12. dannyslawn

dannyslawn Senior Member

We have 3 Toro 3650 single stage snow throwers. They work great. They are light, one guy can move it in and out of a truck. If I could buy only 1 snow blower, this is the one I would buy.
  13. Spitz

Spitz Senior Member

Keep in mind your increasing your overhead with any machine you get, maintance, fuel, wear and tear on your vehicle, ramps, straps, time loadign and unloading.. I'd say if you can handle it physically and arent getting any larger why bother with another thing that can breakdown..
  14. fms

fms Senior Member
    from Maine

A new ATV with current financing will run about $200 per month. If you can justify the expense and transport the equipment it will give you a FAST alternative, something you can grow with and something you can play with in the summer. I'm sure you can wrap a plow and spreader into the 0%+/- financing.
  15. Farm Boss

Farm Boss Senior Member

I think a quality walk behind snowbower would be the match. Buy something that will last. Seems the way to go.
  16. Gicon

Gicon Senior Member
    from MA

20 Drives, $40 a piece, $800 a storm, $8,000 for 10 storms???????? Any plow you buy, COULD last you 10-15 years with good maintenance. Cost of ownership could be $200-$300 a year..........14 hours??? How did you not loose customers???? Time for a plow man. If you have 20, you should be able to pick up another 10, atleast.....Keep growing.
  17. the new boss 92

the new boss 92 2000 Club Member

my buddie just picked up a nice used western 7'6 on creagslist with and the mounting hardwear and wiring for 1500, and the guy dropped it off and his frount door. just to throw that out there. you could get a diesent plow with everything for 1800, and thats what a blower will run ya!
  18. Gicon

Gicon Senior Member
    from MA

Not to mention, its much warmer in the cab of a truck, then behind the wheel of a blower...ahaha
  19. Sdyer1357

Sdyer1357 Junior Member

Try an older plow, I just bought one and had it fitted for a total of $800 Fisher Speedcast.. Old but better than a shovel i think
  20. LarsonLawnCare

LarsonLawnCare Member

I've looked all around for a used plow, craigslist has nada. I don't think I would trust a used plow unless it was from a company anyways. I would finance one, but that is not an option at this time. I live in St. Louis, there are winters here that don't bring any snow, so its tough to make any purchase at all. I have a Silverado 1500 4x4 so I would need a light duty plow, which is even harder to find used around here. I think I'm leaning towards a thrower.