1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

My old but future classic back-up plow rig

Discussion in 'Equipment, Tools & Vehicle Pictures' started by R. Price, Dec 27, 2010.

1. R. Price

R. Price Junior Member

This is my 1979 1/2 ton short box that I am currently taking a part and rebuilding very slowly. It is a short box but has all 3/4 ton axels and springs swapped in. I was planning to build a mud/ rock climber but now thinking about making it a back-up plow rig.
    I was wondering if anyone can tell me how these trucks work as plow trucks and even put up some of your pictures of these trucks. The last picture is how it sits now with just a set off steelies and some 265 tires. The other pictures are the truck when I bought it 3 years ago with 35” tires that I still have put away. (The sled isn’t mine either).There was a lot of hidden problems and rust so it will be a long and slow process.
    Thanks for any help or suggestion you can offer. I’m newer to the site so no really negative stuff if I do something wrong.

78 chevy truck.jpg

78 chevy truck 2.jpg

79 chevy chopped.JPG

2. NBI Lawn

NBI Lawn PlowSite.com Addict

She looks too rough... just sell it to me :nod:!

That looks like a really clean truck. I cant comment on how they do plowing but I would imagine it would to awesome. The only issue, if you want to call it that, is the short wheel base. Too much plow hanging of the front may make it drive funny. I am not one to add balast weight so...

Good luck with it. Looks like a bad ass truck.
  3. WIPensFan

WIPensFan PlowSite Veteran

Should plow real well, don't know why it wouldn't. Good luck with the re-do and keep posting your pics so we can see how it's progressing. BTW, I like that two-tone blue, very sharp.
  4. KMBertog

KMBertog PlowSite.com Addict

that truck looks like it can move some serious snow! good luck with it!
  5. sweetk30

sweetk30 PlowSite.com Addict

pics look like 4" lift kit in the truck to me. via the front springs. gm never used positive arched front springs factory on these.

these trucks plow good. and short bed and blazers plow good for tight places. but need balest in the rear a bit more than long beds do.

if you want a great web site for these trucks try www.ck5.com super site i have been there for years. same screen name as here.

i have a 79 k30 factory 1ton with dana 60 front and 14ff rear with gov-loc that works great. here is a pic with 35" tires and 6" of lift. no plow on at this time. search my screen name for lots of pics.

and i run 8ft & 9ft fisher plow blade on mine. got 2 plow blades :)

slot mags 002.jpg
  6. R. Price

R. Price Junior Member

I never knew that about the front springs. It does sit higher in the front then most. I know it has 4" blocks in the back. The spring pack is big so I just thought it was the 3/4ton springs.
    I like your truck I think the flat bed make for a cool look, I have often thought about doing that aswell but i'v done alot of body work on my box so I can't part with it.
  7. ponderosa

ponderosa Member

those trucks plow like a bear a couple of guys from around here would cut the frames on a 8 ft bed 3/4 truck and put on the 6 ft bed you ended up with the longer springs in the back so it road better, you will like it good luck
  8. CAT 245ME

CAT 245ME PlowSite.com Addict

It's getting harder to find the 73-87 GM trucks in that good of condition. My first two plow trucks were an 86 GMC K15 & 85 K10 with Fisher speedcast plows, they cost me very little money to keep running (rarely any down time) compared to the newer trucks I've had and would take a lot more abuse. My 85 K10 would out push (with no ballast) my 98 K2500 all day long.

When you have your truck finished take very good care of it, cause there worth every penny IMO.
  9. sweetk30

sweetk30 PlowSite.com Addict

the pics of my truck i posted here is some info.

that k30 is a 79 with 87 2wd cab and front nose. orignal body long gone . that is also a 135" wheel base cab & chassie utility truck. = not reg long bed truck. reg long bed was 131.5" wheel base. my frame is longer used for flat beds / dumps / utility bodys .

i had the truck cheep for 500 and fixed it from there. took lots of parts i found deals on and got and made my version of a work truck.

the best part is 87 cab. that got me tbi efi injection NO CARB :nod: then i swaped in the tbi motor i had and swaped the fuel tank to efi tank with pump inside.

this truck dosnt owe me a thing its been a tank and just keeps goin. i will prob redo it this summer hopefully . i got a 8ft box from down in texas few years ago sittin and got another 80k30 with trashed body. parted it and kept the super clean frame. as mine has few bad rust spots in the wrong areas.

so i will redo it with reg cab long bed frame and bolt the box on it and paint it. might even swap in a hot little tbi 355 motor i built and havent used yet. go from around 150 hp stock tbi to 300 hp 355 motor.

and someone has redone the truck you have with mix and match stuff. 73-80 body prob frame to. and 81-87 style spit 2 tone paint job and fender badges from 81-87 style. if your front frame horns were the bumper is are rounded then 73-80 frame . if thay are cut 45* slant then its a 81-87 frame. no real biggy but good info to know to get the right parts.
    Last edited: Dec 27, 2010