1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

My Official Review: Titan as a plow/work truck

Discussion in 'Toyota Trucks' started by linycctitan, Jan 4, 2011.

1. linycctitan

linycctitan Senior Member

As so many people have been sending me pm's, profile messages and emails lately, asking how my truck is holding up, I figured I would go ahead and post my full review.

What I have: 2006 Nissan Titan 4x4 SE Crew Cab with Off-Road, High Utility & Big Tow packages

Short form Review: (for those that don't want to get into the long read)
    Current Mileage: almost 70k
    Do I run this truck harder than I probably should? Yes
    Do I do things that aren't recommended with this truck? Yes
    Have I had any truck breakdowns? No
    Have I had any premature wear issues? No
    Am I meticulous with maintenance? Yes
    Is this a respectable/reliable/capable 1/2 ton truck? Yes

My Full Review: I bought my truck new in July of '06, after extensive research, test drives and climbing inside, under and over anything of interest. I looked at the Dodge, Ford, GMC & Toyota 1/2 ton crew cabs, and was most impressed by the Titan. It had several convenient options that others either didn't offer, or were aftermarket add-ons. To me, it also felt more like a truck as far as power, ride and handling. At the time, I needed a truck for family use, as well as occasional work/project duties. Well as we all know, things can change in a hurry and I suddenly found myself using my truck for more work related activities than as the "family truckster".
    In Fall '07, I set the truck up with a steel 7'6" SnoWay 26 Series. At the time I had a great local dealer and plow options for the Titan were extremely limited. Overall the plow has performed well, however dealer support disappeared when my local guy retired and closed up shop. I plow 95% small to mid-sized commercial and have been pushing snow since 1993. The Titan handles the plow very well, after some minor mods (originally had a 2" leveling kit which worked very well, but when the front shocks started to get too mushy, I upgraded to adjustable Bilstien 5100's which are excellent) and pushes plenty of snow. I run with about 400-500 lbs. of ballast behind the rear wheels and sometimes the 2-stage blower in the bed. When running with the blade and ballast on, I always run in "tow mode", which works very well. I have had no issues with any overheating, premature front end wear or brake wear, and I am a stickler for regular (and sometimes excessive) maintenance on all my vehicles and equipment. Yes, I have been "temporarily immobilized" (due to snow deeper than the tires can dig!) on occasion during the big storms, but so has everyone else.
    I have also pulled many trailers on a regular basis, and the Titan has handled them very well also. I've frequently pulled the 5700# (loaded) landscape trailer, 16' deck-over with the Bobcat S185 and occasionally (though not any more:cry:), the 26' Chaparral cuddy cabin. There have been a few times when I have been known to pull the Bobcat around while the plow is on, and have had no issues still.
    Basically, I treat my Titan more like a 3/4 or 1 ton truck than I do a 1/2 ton, and with almost 70k hard miles, I really couldn't ask for anything more out of what was supposed to be the family rig. The only major downfall with this truck is the size of the bed, as it is a bit small (5.5'), but I have learned to adapt and overcome. Had I known the sudden lifestyle change would be coming about, I would have probably gone with a 3/4 or 1 ton, but when life threw me lemons, I made lemonade.

I hope this is/was helpful to anyone questioning the ability/capability of the Titan. Overall, I feel that this is by far the most capable and most reliable 1/2 ton truck I have ever owned.

2. affekonig

affekonig Senior Member

Glad to hear/read it.
  3. Andy96XLT

Andy96XLT Senior Member

I almost bought a used 05 titan with 46000 miles but i was worried about making such a nice truck into a work truck. I figured I would destroy it and it was 16000 which was a ton of money for me. Glad to hear someone is doing it though and it is holding up well. Thumbs Up
  4. KEC Maintaince

KEC Maintaince Senior Member
    from N.J.

Good review. the Titan sounds like it handled its own for you. just like you i am a bit hard on my vehicles.
  5. nhgranite

nhgranite Senior Member
    from N.H

who plows with a jap truck? ussmileyflag
  6. ecooke21

ecooke21 Junior Member

great review,.. I am starting my 3rd season plowing with my titan (Meyers stl 7.5)... it is awesome... i couldn't be happier... this truck plows awesome... It definitely isnt a beast like our 1 tons, but i dont hesitate to push this truck.
  7. jandjcarpentry

jandjcarpentry Senior Member
    from MA

Just use my 04 Titan w/Boss Sport Duty 7'6" plow for the first time. It handled it great, but It does sit a little low. I might install Timbrens.

8. jmoritz2

jmoritz2 Junior Member

I have an 04' Titan LE 4x4 crew cab with 115,000 miles on it and love it. I pull an 8,500lb trailer around during the mowing season everyday and have never had an issue with it. Its a solid truck! It actually pulls the trailer better than my 01 GMC 1 ton. I haven't put a plow on my titan cuz i have one on my 1 ton and don't need to yet. But its great to hear that others are having success with their titans too. I honestly think i could get my truck to last 300,000+ miles.
  9. Greystorm

Greystorm Member

Liny great review man, I love my titan as well. I have a set of Bilstien 5150s all round the front struts are set to +1inch, to get rid of the factory rake, I'm looking at getting a western mid weight 7'6" steel plow, any opinions on western plows?
  10. carl b

carl b PlowSite.com Addict
    from Ohio

this truck looks like it just rolled off the show room floor !
  11. Greystorm

Greystorm Member

anybody who wants the truck to last over 100k. lol

Btw the Titan is built in Canton, Mississippi.
  12. nhgranite

nhgranite Senior Member
    from N.H

sarcasm, look at my sig. ;)
  13. linycctitan

linycctitan Senior Member

Thanks for all the good feedback guys, good to hear I am not the only one working a Titan.

Looks good J&J - timbrens should work fine for you in the front, I've used them on other trucks with great results.

In all honesty, if Western offered more than the Suburbanite back when I was buying, I would have gone with them. As long as you go no heavier than 550-575 lbs you should be good to go. I wouldn't discount the new HTS, which is lighter (easier on the front end), I've heard alot of good feedback on them. I'd have to say that the best plows I have ever owned/used, in order, were: Fisher Speedcasters w/ Snofoils & engine driven hydros (had a few of them and sorely miss 'em); any Western with the exception of the Suburbaite (although they do have their place in the world, just not for me) and the "funky pump" that they used on some late unimounts and early ultramounts; then my SnoWay comes in third, although it has been quite good to me. I've also run some older Curtis & Meyer plows which weren't that great, but the new Meyer products look like they should be a lot better.
  14. jandjcarpentry

from MA

Just insatalled them. What an easy fix.
  15. jandjcarpentry

from MA

Here is my truck with Timbrens installed in front. Not bad.

16. Milwaukee

Milwaukee 2000 Club Member

Let see if it reach 200K miles.

Look nice but I am concered about frame rot inside so keep update on that.

What mpg you average? You didn't say what engine so I think V8?
  17. Greystorm

Greystorm Member

200k lol I'm pretty close already. I just recently passed 144k. I will without a doubt hit 200k with this truck. I do a ton of slow city driving, I average about 14.5mpg combined, but I have a heavy foot.
    Btw titans only come with a v8 and 5spd auto.

as far as frame rot, so far after almost 6 winters in NY salt belt, the under body frame isn't showing any rust.
  18. toyotaplow

toyotaplow Member

Last year in my local truck pull no one could come within 30' of a titan in the 1/2 ton stock class. I don't see many titans around here and I was very impressed with it.
  19. plowguy43

plowguy43 PlowSite Fanatic

Great review, they are nice trucks! Have you had any exhaust manifold issues, brake issues, or rear end problems? I know those were the biggest issue's with Titan's and in 08 they revamped the brakes. Very torquey engine matched to a very nice 5 speed auto- probably one of the best auto tranny's made.
  20. barney14

barney14 Junior Member
    from Ontario

07 Titan LE

Brakes - yep they suck
    Rear end - replace at 45,000 miles
    Ex Manifold - not yet
    Rear Tires - many

Still love the truck.