1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

My " Noob " Questions Topic

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by Lil' Danny, Feb 9, 2008.

1. Lil' Danny

Lil' Danny Member

Hello guys , I have a few noob questions for you.

My first question is - If you are brand new to the industry , I'm talking like , never plowed snow in your life , how do you go about getting work ?

My second question is - When will you know when the time is right to salt , or does this all depend on the client. Also , when is it the right occasion to use salt , and when is it the right time to use sand ?

Thanks guys , It's actually snowing outside , and I started thinking about this stuff :redbounce
  2. snowman79

snowman79 Senior Member
    from MidWest

Well to answer your first question would be. Start out shoveling...work your way up. That would be the easiest way for a couple of reasons. If you work for someone shoveling. Usually you get to see how they plow in certain situations, when to apply salt, how the whole system works. You get work plus you learn a lot. Thats what i did for a couple years while i was younger. Then i just moved up...they put me in a truck and i did great...and then i started plowin with the skiddy. Now i can do everything pretty much.

Salting events usually youl want to throw salt if there is a chance of light snow..an inch or less depending on your trigger. Also after plowing some accounts will want their lot salted. If there was warmer temps during the day and snow melts some and leaves lot wet and then temps drop below freezing sometimes will throw salt also.
  3. Burkartsplow

Burkartsplow PlowSite Veteran

There is no money in plowing snow. Stay home where it is warm and let us beat on our equipment and clear it for you...:)