1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

my new wheels and tires are on

Discussion in 'Equipment, Tools & Vehicle Pictures' started by mass1589, Oct 31, 2012.

1. mass1589

mass1589 Senior Member
    from mass

well i have been searching for a set of wheels like these for a while. i reallly liked this look when i saw a truck had them on it that was just like mine. guy was about an hour and 20 minutes from me he met me half way and was great guy to deal with off criagslist.

IMG_1103.jpg

IMG_1104.jpg

2. durafish

durafish PlowSite.com Addict
    from 02919

looks much better. Did it come with the tires.

3. mass1589

mass1589 Senior Member
    from mass

yup i like them alot better they are 285!

4. mass1589

mass1589 Senior Member
    from mass

heres another side shot....tires are much better looking

IMG_1109.jpg

5. linckeil

linckeil PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

are the 285s wider than what you had on before? setup looks good, but wider tires will hurt your plowing traction.

6. mass1589

mass1589 Senior Member
    from mass

they look to be about an 1" wider.....

7. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

That truck has come a long way. Looks great. I agree wider tires aren't as good in the snow. 235/85/16 is great in the snow. Keep your old rims and put a set of winters on. If you keep the truck for a few years it will pay you back easily. payup

8. linckeil

from CT

exactly right. i wouldn't use any other size on a 3/4 or 1 ton plow truck. dedicated snows are the way to go. plus when you remove all 4 tires at the start and end of plowing season it's a great opportunity to thoroghly clean, inspect, and repair anything that needs it.

if you still have the old rims/tires and they are narrower than the 285's, i'd keep them for plowing season. plus you'll keep the new rim/tires in nice shape if they aren't run in the snow/salt.

didn't mean to get off topic - truck does look good, but this being a site about snow plowing and all, i had to mention it....

9. mass1589

mass1589 Senior Member
    from mass

i agree with you guys i think narrower tires are better but do you think an 1" matters i was thinking it woulddnt but im still thinking of keeping the older tires for the winter...

10. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

I think it is more like 2" less and that would make a difference.

11. linckeil

from CT

what is the size of your old tires?

as an example, i was surprised by an early snow storm years ago and hadn't changed over to my snow tires. the tires were 12.5" wide (about a 315 tire). after 30 minutes i was back home putting on the 235's (about 9.25" wide). both tires were near new and had similiar treads. it was a night and day difference. i plowed better in 2wd than i did in 4wd with the fat tires. this is an extreme example because we are talking about a 3" difference.

nontheless, when i'm out plowing its about the doing the job, not about having a nice looking wheel setup. personally, i don't compromise when it come to traction when plowing.

12. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

I'm sure you know this but the first # on the tire size is the width of the tires in mm. That truck most likely came stock with 245/75/16. So you have increased the width by 40mm running those tires.

13. linckeil

from CT

for us americans who like our complicated system of fractions and decimals ussmileyflag, a 245 tire is 9.65" wide and a 285 tire is 11.22" wide - a difference of 1.57".

14. mass1589

mass1589 Senior Member
    from mass

The stockers had 265

15. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

I bet that was already up sized from the 245 and now you have up sized it again. If you have good tires you won't have any problems. You have the old stock rims, I was just giving you a suggestion to help save you new rims and tires.

I run 265/70/17 on my 09 and haven't had any issues yet.

16. Banksy

Banksy PlowSite Veteran

Looks awesome.

17. BlueRam2500

BlueRam2500 Senior Member

Looks great much better than before.

18. mass1589

mass1589 Senior Member
    from mass

thanks guys!! i love the new look

19. plowmaster07

plowmaster07 Senior Member

Holy crap does that look nice! Good choice! Best of luck this season!

20. highclimber604

highclimber604 Junior Member

These trucks plow so nice. GM really broke the mold with these models. I have a 1997 2500 and i just cant kill the thing. Plowing, towing, dump insert always overloading it, i even installed air bags to hold more weight. That 5.7 L engine is great. I know the 6.0 is excellent too but for that year those trucks are tanks.