1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

My New Toys

Discussion in 'Equipment, Tools & Vehicle Pictures' started by edosher, Sep 13, 2004.

1. edosher

edosher Member

Ok, after much diliberation, I finally put the bar on the truck. First off, thanks to Luis at Stobes'n'More for the hard work and help. :salute:
    The bar is a Whelen 9414 Edge:
    4 outer strobes, switched front and rear
    4 front halogen flashers, 2 fast clear and 2 slow amber
    4 front halogen take downs, 2 center and 2 steady burn flashers
    2 rear halogen flashers, amber
    2 rear halogen work lights, clear
    Left and Right halogen alley lights
    All functions can be independantly operated with a custom 10 function switch box wrapped in stainless steel. Max draw is only 18.7 amps. Inside is a four strobe dash light.
    The new Rack was made by a local fabricator in Dedham.
    Maybe this is a bit of overkill on the lighting in the middle of the dark, snowy night. But the one fool that pulls out in front of me this year claiming that he "did not see me coming" ( and we know how that is here in MA) can explain the can opened side of his car to his insurance company.
    I mean, does anyone else get infuriated how not one guy has cut my Ram off all year except when there is 3" of white money on the ground, with no one else on the road, and the fool has his hazard lights on to go 4 mph in front of me with my blade at his head height? Maybe just a little rant....

truck back.jpg
    Last edited: Sep 13, 2004
  2. PremierLand

PremierLand PlowSite.com Addict
    from detroit

thats soooo awsome... where can i get a light like that? internet, or what kind of shop?
  3. edosher

edosher Member

More pics

I wish that I cleaned the truck for this one.

4. BreyerConstruct

BreyerConstruct Senior Member

If it's not too intrusive, could I ask what you paid for the light bar & for the headache rack?
    I'm looking into 2 racks for my trucks this year, and will prolly go w/ a simple pancake amber rotating light on each.
  5. Boast Enterpris

Boast Enterpris Senior Member

Sweet setup, those guys at strobes'n'more really know what they are doing!!
    The drivers around you will need :cool: at night!!
  6. accipiter12

accipiter12 Senior Member

You can find those lights on the net of course, www.galls.com is a good place to go. I have an LED light but not from them....nice set up you have for your truck. You are ready to go!!

7. edosher

edosher Member

Info of lights

As for where to get one, I would save the money and buy a new bar with warranty from a good shop. I bought this one used on Ebay, but I almost spent the same amount in repairs! Sort of like buying a plow truck over Ebay... here are a few good web sites for info:

The bar is a standard Whelen 4 strobe Edge bar with options. The only thing that I did was to add the two center lights in the front and use existing wiring for a speaker to power them. I made the switch box out of some scraps around work, some marine grade dual throw-dual position switches. The indicators are illuminated with 3mm LED's that are powered when the switch is thrown. Too much work and money, but that is life.
  8. avalancheplow

avalancheplow Senior Member

I have a 52" whelen edge bar and love it. It has:
    6 strobes- 4 Front and 2 rear
    4 halogen flashers- 2 front 2 rear
    2 takedowns in the front
    2 worklights in the rear
    With new lenses for $550. Its a remanufactured one from a guy I found on Ebay (m.r.debaker is his screen name) . It comes with a warranty to. It's like new but for HALF the price. I'm very happy with it.
  9. Eyesell

Eyesell 2000 Club Member

18 amps aeh ??? i'm switching to LED's this year, trying to save a little power. very nice set up though, do you have any pic's of the switch box.
  10. cja1987

cja1987 PlowSite.com Addict

Hey edosher, welcome to plowsite neighbor :waving: Iam right next to you in Randolph. Truck looks great, what size plow do you have for it?
  11. ultimate plow

ultimate plow PlowSite.com Addict
    from N. IL

I just bought a brand new federal signal vista lightbar. It has the following:
    5 rotators
    2 front flashers
    4 front takedowns
    2 vista ray intersecting lights
    2 side alley lights
    10 lamp rear arrow stick
    I cant wait to mount this bar.
  12. BMQ

BMQ Junior Member
    from 72315

ultimate plow,
    How many amps will that new light bar draw??? Are you going to mount it on a headache rack or on the cab?? :)
  13. accipiter12

accipiter12 Senior Member

Ultimate Plow, that sounds cool. They draw A LOT of power. Patrol cars that have those, and have EVERYTHING on, if left on a scene for a while have had to be jumped. LOL. Be sure to post pictures when you put it on, sounds cool.

14. GTL Inc.

GTL Inc. Member

That is a real good looking bar. Must be easy too see when it is all lit up. :cool:
  15. ultimate plow

from N. IL

Thanks guys...I wont be having every single light on at once though...I still gotta buy a switch box for it..Im not even going to attempt to mount this. Im gonna have a local police equipment store do it for me. Ill post some pics when it gets hooked up.
  16. ultimate plow

from N. IL

It will be mounted on the cab...