1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

My new toy!

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by Crazygator, Jun 8, 2003.

1. Crazygator

Crazygator Member
    from TN

Well Ive done it now....hahaha

New toy for the toy box. 2000 Dodge 2500 with 8ft box and the Cummings.

Now I need your advice as to what to look for in a plow. No we dont get much, but I would rather get a good set up that will last than a junky one that wont.

JD PLOWER PlowSite.com Veteran

Depending on what your looking to spend I would strongly suggest Vplows or a Blizzard. I have both and I think you'll be satisfied with either one.

BTW nice truck :drinkup: .
  3. meyer22288

meyer22288 Senior Member

Thats a real nice truck good luck with it. I would say a 8.5 Fisher X-blade snowplow or a 8.5 Western Ultramount Snowplow.;)
  4. snowplowjay

snowplowjay Banned

Nice looking truck. I would definitely look into Fisher, Boss, and Western for that truck.

5. Crazygator

Crazygator Member
    from TN

Ok, with a little surfing I have found that we have in town the following brands: Western, Sno-Way and Meyer.

Some others are 4-5 hours away, and still others are lots farther.

I would like to get something that I can have support here locally, even though we wont have all night support like you northern guys do. We just dont get the white gold like you do.

With the idea of spreaders, is a receiver hitch style mount an ok system? I wont need anything large, but would get the biggest tailgate spreader I can afford, but still staying with local dealer support. Does the Western equipment work well? Would Western be a good choice for both the plow and spreader?

Plus remember I will be doing about 60% spreading and 40% plowing.....or there abouts. We average about 2 2-4" snows, plus several smaller ones. We do get hit every now and then with a larger snow.

I just want to get some really good equipment to have a great winter setup when needed.

JD PLOWER PlowSite.com Veteran

I don't know much about the last two but I am familiar with the western and I have found them to be a good product. If you can you might want to look into the western V. Look up threads on it using the name Dockboy, he has some good info a lot of experience with that plow. The snow-way seems to have a small but loyal following here and they have a Vplow along with sanders (along with western). Which dealer is closer?
  7. wyldman

wyldman Member

I'd go Western.Good plow,and the harness fits nice on the Dodge.

I'd go Western on the spreader too.The Pro-Flo if your only spreading bagged salt,or the Pro-Flo 2 if your going to spread bulk salt or sand.

Nice truck too.I like the driftwood on the rockers.My personal truck was ordered that way,even stated it on the build sheet,but they forgot to do it,just got plain white. :(
  8. meyer22288

meyer22288 Senior Member

I have a lot of friends with Western snowplows. they are real reliable. you should also consider fisher.
  9. Roger Dodger

Roger Dodger Senior Member
    from nw Pa.

Hey Crazygator,
    From your location in Tennessee, it looks to me as if your plow will still have its factory paint on it for many years to come. Click here to see a chart of snowfall records for Tennessee. According to that chart, the last record snowfall was in Feb. '98 of 18" (of which half of it prolly melted two days later!) Are you sure you wouldn't just rather pick up a couple of good snow shovels?LOL :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
  10. Crazygator

Crazygator Member
    from TN

You might be right.

Bet you would just fall over if you knew what most guys charge around here just to drop salt/ice melt, which is mostly what I will be doing several times over the winter.

But yes, the whole system should last forever with our mild winters, plus the truck wont be pushing hard either. Bonus for me with both situations.... ;)
  11. Mike 97 SS

Mike 97 SS Banned
    from U.S.A.

Nice truck you got there. :drinkup: Of the brands you listed, Id say go with the Western definitely. Im not a fan of Meyers and I never used a Sno-Way so I cant comment but I think they are light duty plows next to a Western, just my oppinion. You definitely wanna stick to a brand that is easy to get parts for if and when you need them and a dealer that is close to your house is walys a plus. Mike
  12. John DiMartino

John DiMartino PlowSite.com Veteran

Nice truck Crazy Gator!:) . I would go with Western given your choices. Ill hook up with you on the phone as soon as I get a few minutes to spare. John
  13. Crazygator

Crazygator Member
    from TN

I am surprised you remembered my call.....hahaha :drinkup:

I look forward to the call!