1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

My New Toy, what do ya'll think?

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by oman1999, Oct 8, 2007.

1. oman1999

oman1999 Senior Member

I just got a new plow machine for the winter and large work truck for summer.

1997 Ford F-350 XL. 4x4, 5.8L, 62,200 miles. Auto. Manual Hubs, Sawy-bars, No power options, cruise or air-con. Dual fuel tanks. Nice interior, New exhaust. Has oil cooler / heater in lower radiator hose, block heater, power steering cooler, new battery, 16,000 GVWR aftermarket transmission cooler (with HD hydraulic hoses instead of hard lines) in addition to the radiator-transmission cooler.

Truck is 98% rust-free. Municipal truck for city of Chicago Parks Dept. Has a 7.5' Meyer plow with E-47 pump. Has the single-lever controller mounted in the dash. Also has brake controller with Class V trailer hitch. New tires all around and have receipts for about $2000.00 in work to the front end. New ball joints, u-joints, steering rods and links, brakes, etc.

I gave $6,000.00 for this truck. Other than the u-joints I have to install in the rear drive-shaft I can mount the plow and run this truck tonight. What does everyone think? Bad deal, good deal? What should I look out for?

I bought a Code 3 MX 7000 light-bar for the truck to make it visible.

2. DeereFarmer

DeereFarmer PlowSite Veteran

Seems like a really good deal. Let's see some pics.

3. karol

karol Senior Member

New Ford

You bought a ford you don't have to ask. You made the right choice. Let's see some pics.

4. oman1999

oman1999 Senior Member

I'll be sure to post some photos of the truck when / if I get it to a point that I'm 100% ready to fight snow.

I had a cash in hand offer of $8500.00 for the truck w/ plow as it sits today. I had to turn him down with a promise that if I decided to sell it, I'd call him first. Guy has 6 97 F-350's and loves them. Has (3) diesels, and (2) 5.8L trucks.

I've owned all of the Top 3 vehicle brands. I like Fords for various reasons but I would not hesitate to purchase another brand if the $$$ was right along with the model / engine combination. I'm not blind to just one brand, I just happen to like the blue oval offerings.

5. magnatrac

magnatrac PlowSite.com Addict

It's a shame to use that as a plow truck I love those trucks. If I was ever going to build a "toy truck" I think that would be my base truck!!! Sounds like a great deal , can't wait to see the pictures Good luck !!!!

6. J&R Landscaping

J&R Landscaping PlowSite.com Addict

For it being just a F350, are you sure its got a 16,000 GVW? I thought the 350's were 11,000 or 12,000 lbs? I know my 94 F250 is 8600 #'s.

7. oman1999

oman1999 Senior Member

Gvwr

I wasn't refering to the GVWR of the truck. I believe that is around 9600 lbs.

I was saying that the truck is equipped with an additional transmission cooler rated for 16,000 GVWR vehicles which I HOPE will eliminate some of the dreaded problems with the transmissions on these trucks.

Also, I've heard a million times that I am not to plow in OD. I thought about putting a relay in the harness so that the plow controls would not activate unless the OD - OFF light was on. This would work pretty cool in my mind. Cept when you need to move the plow in a hurry and forget about the switch. LOL.