1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

My "new to me" Ultramount. A few questions.

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by HKusp, Feb 17, 2014.

1. HKusp

HKusp Member

First, let me apalogize for the length of this post, but I want to give as much information as I can.

Here is a bad picture of my "new to me" Ultramount.

[​IMG]

It's a an older unit, I know, because of reading here the differences between the ones with the Sabre lights vs. the older style square lights, like my old Unimount had. I bought it last year from a friend of a friend who had it on Craigslist for $500. He owns a welding shop and sold the truck and the guy didn't want the plow. I knew the plow by itself was worth quite a bit more than that, and I eventually wanted to upgrade to the Ultramount so I jumped at that price. It needed a cutting edge, but I had a buddy who has the same plow hook up and it worked fine.

Fast forward to a few weeks ago and my Unimount was starting to scare me, rusted out blade, pump making noises, etc. I shopped around and I sourced the truck side from a company in Illinois called Quality Truck & Equipment. Shipping to my door in Maryland was cheaper than my local dealer quoted me over the phone. So I got the mount, wiring, etc. shipped 2 weeks ago and we removed the Unimount mount and wiring and mounted and wired the Ultramount without too many problems. We got it finished 1:00 am in the beggining of this 20+ inch storm we had last week. It performed well but there have been a few hiccups. I have been reading a bit on here about some common issues ie: the pivot bar siezing up etc. Mine is doing something that I have seen a few refernces to here and there and I think it may be the screen in the resevoir is in need of a good cleaning, but I wanted to see what you guys thought.

When I raise up the plow to maximum height, it doesn't always want to go left and right. If it does, it is a little jerky in the motion, but sometimes it just wont move and I can hear the motor whine. If I lower it about 4-6 inches, it will move fine, albeit a bit slow for my taste. I checked the fluid level and it was a little bit low (a couple of ounces), but it didn't help. So what do you all think about that?

The other thing that I noticed people here reffering to the breather cap, and I have seen a few and they look different than mine. Is this the first version, or did someone replace it with an aftermarket part?

[​IMG]

2. Whiffyspark

Whiffyspark 2000 Club Member
    from SOMD

Is that a solid plug?

Most are plastic I can't tell on your picture.

Jerkiness could just be a sticky valve. Sounds like low fluid though

Fill is on the back fill until it runs out and then cycle it.

3. HKusp

HKusp Member

No it's not a solid plug, it definitely breathes like it should.

I did fill it and ran it up and down and left and right, but I have not re-checked it since I filled it. I will do that, thanks.

4. Whiffyspark

from SOMD

The breather is mainly for when you hit a stationary object. It allows the fluid to escape instead of blowing something out. So you should by fine. That's an older ultra mount I know the newer ones use grey plastic

5. mishnick

mishnick 2000 Club Member

Someone has replaced the original plastic filler plug with a "mushroom" vent. The correct vent cap is grey plastic and has a 5 psi pressure relief valve built in. That one is just a plane vent and is BAD NEWS! That thing will allow the outside air to breath in and out every time the fluid level goes up and down. Your old uni had a sealed reservoir with two solid pipe threaded plugs. When the level went up it just compressed the bit of air that was in there. With the new Flowstat units the vent cap just maintains 5 psi in the reservoir. If it goes over that the extra fluid or air is allowed out but no air or moisture is allowed in. It is very important when using the blue fluid that you do NOT allow it to breath because that fluid absorbs moisture out of the air. Your plow will almost be certainly contaminated with water in the fluid. That may be causing your valve problems and shuttering. Buy a new vent cap (will cost about $20 to $30) part # 21727-2K and a gallon jug of blue plow fluid. Pull the four screws out that hold the reservoir on and then drop the res off the hydro unit. Carefully pour the fluid out into a transparent container if you want to see how much water was in it. Leave it for a while in a warm room and the water will separate out at the bottom. Next pull the magnet out of the bottom of the reservoir and clean it off. Feel the magnetic mud stuck to it and look for any grit. The mud should feel like grease but if you feel any grit or metal particles that is a sign of bad things. Put the magnet back in the same place in the reservoir so it doesn't interfere with the sump screen. Now have a good look at the sump screen on the bottom of the hydro unit. Make sure the screen is intact and that there is a bolt and retaining clip holding the pickup tube to the pump. If not you need to buy a new style sump screen kit with the retaining clip. Without you risk the pickup tube falling off, which incidentally may have already happened explaining your whining motor when you lift the plow. Next jack up the blade just off the ground and disconnect the two angle ram lines at the valve body. Place the ends of the hoses in a can and then manually move the blade to the extremes a few times to force the contaminated fluid out. Replace the hoses, remove the jack, fill the reservoir to the lower plug level and then put the reservoir back on the hydraulic unit with the four screws. Then put the blade through all the extremes a few times, drop it to the floor and top up the reservoir until if comes out the back filler level plug. Top up, work the plow and recheck the level three times to get all the air out of the rams. Put the new vent plug and the metal filler level plugs back in and you are good to go. After that if the plow still gives you problems you will need to look at the valves for damage but I expect this should sort things out.

6. mishnick

Crossover relief valves are for hitting stationary objects, vent cap has nothing to do with that. It only allows fluid out when it is overfull and air out when it exceeds 5 psi. If your system is sealed and your vent plug is working you should hear that 5 psi escaping when you open the filler plug. The ultra-mount used the gray plastic plug from day 1, they never came with this type as original equipment. I always test the vent plugs by trying to blow through them from the bottom. If you can blow through it replace it!

Last edited: Feb 17, 2014
  7. HKusp

HKusp Member

Mishnick, I was hoping you would chime in. Thank you very much for your input. We have a small storm coming in tonight that is supposed to bring us another 2-4 inches overnight into the am hours. In my travels tomorrow, I will stop by the Western dealer and pick up the correct cap.

Thank you too, Whiffyspark. I appreciate your input as well.

8. Whiffyspark

from SOMD

Listen to mish he is a walking manual lol

9. mishnick

Snow plows are my life at this time of year. I always miss these challenges in the summer season. And yes I admit my face is pretty much stuck in these manuals and online at the Western site most of the time. I am a plow geek... My wife thinks, no she knows, I am obsessed and perhaps a bit crazy.

10. HKusp

HKusp Member

Passion for your work is a good thing, and the internet allows so much flow of information. It is people like you helping out guys like me that really makes this site special. I am very grateful.

11. HKusp

HKusp Member

I got to work on the plow today and I wanted to update what the reason for my issues was so someone who looks at this thread later will see the resolution.

I hooked up to the plow today and it would only raise about 6 inches off the ground and would not turn left or right unless I lowered it to about 3 inches off the ground. So I thought, maybe I was low on fluid. When I loosened the fill plug, it leaked fluid out, so low fluid wasn't the issue. I decided to drain the fluid and drop the reservoir. When I did, I found the feed tube with the oval shaped ribbed filter had fallen out of its mounting hole. I understand that they have a newer version of it that has a retaining bracket and bolt, but not having one on hand, I decided to just put the old one back where it belonged and hope it gets me through the last few weeks of the season. I will address replacing it with the updated version before next season.I replaced the filter and put the reservoir back on, then refilled with new fluid and it is running great. Thank you Mishnick for giving me the procedure.

I also put a new breather cap and the 90 degree fitting it hooks into on the front of the pump. I looked at my friends early Ultramount ( looks just like mine)and he has had it since he bought it new in 2003 or 2004. It has the same "mushroom" cap that mine did, so I think they did originally come with those because he told me he never replaced his, and that was the way his came when he bought it. Here is a picture of his.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 25, 2014
  12. mishnick

Great to hear you have resolved your issue. But about the breather.... It may be that they came with that mushroom cap in some cases. I started working with Western right around 2003 so perhaps they predate me. However, if you use the blue fluid I can assure you that the grey cap is important to keep your unit from icing up.

13. Tony350

Tony350 Senior Member

Both my uncles and dads ultramounts came with the metal mushroom vents. They were both the two wire systems before fleet flex. My first ultramount had the plastic cap but that was a 3 wire system.

14. mishnick

Maybe the mushroom caps came with the two plug relay systems and was changed over to the plastic 5 psi cap same time as the three plug, for port isolation module came out? That's what was being shipped new when I started building plows.

15. HKusp

HKusp Member

We both have the 3 plug set up.

16. HERCULESTRUCK

HERCULESTRUCK Junior Member
    from PA

they used the steel breather cap on early ultramounts they work just fine as for the suction tube falling out its from vibration the kit to fix it is part#28479 fix that and you should be good to go

17. mishnick

The steel pressure-less caps may "work fine" but there is a reason they now use vent caps with a 5 psi pressure valve in them. The new blue fluid is a desiccant (absorbs water out of the air) which freezes and plugs the sump screen when temperatures get cold. And since snow plows generally work mostly when the temp is below freezing it becomes a problem.

18. HKusp

HKusp Member

I don't believe either one of our plows had the blue fluid originally or now. We have a few gallons of the older fluid that we have used with his Ultramount and my old Unimount for years. The only thing he has had to replace on his plow was the electric motor 2 years ago. 10 years and only the motor with the use his plow has seen is acceptable if you ask me.

We routinely have 30+ small commercial properties like banks, drug stores, etc., this year we have 42 and 5-10 residentials, with a few medium sized ones like 3 buildings in an industrial complex, a couple of 6 story apartment complexes, etc. that plow has done more than it's share with that metal cap.

Even still, I am happy to have the gray 5 psi vent cap on mine now. You can see his in the picture is dry, mine in the first picture is wet, and that is because it was leaking a small amount of fluid pretty much constantly. I don't think it was doing a very good job of keeping moisture out.

19. mishnick

Back when these metal caps were distributed they were probably still recommending auto trans fluid which doesn't absorb water. But it had a problem with getting thick when cold. In any case Western, in their infinite wisdom, has discarded the metal caps and ATF in favor of blue fluid and the plastic 5 psi pressure cap. It's what they recommend so that's what I use.