1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

my new to me OSHKOSH

Discussion in 'Equipment, Tools & Vehicle Pictures' started by Masssnowfighter, Jan 6, 2016.

1. Masssnowfighter

Masssnowfighter Senior Member
    from ma

Just purchased this beast of a truck. A 1983 Oshkosh M4-1700 ex- runway queen. Never has plowed a road or seen salt in its life. It has extremely low hours(1500) and mileage(4,500) on it and is still in basically new condition. Planning on making it into the ultimate parking lot plow truck with a 18 foot airport plow on the front of it. Or putting a metal pless live edge 16 foot box on a power angle frame and mounting it that way.

oshkosh1.jpg

oshkosh2.jpg

2. Masssnowfighter

from ma

This thing makes the deauce and half look like a Toyota prius. it even makes the peterbilt look small.

oshkosh3.jpg

3. SnowFakers

SnowFakers Senior Member
    from CT

Wow nice new rig!

4. linckeil

linckeil PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

that's awesome. did it come with a plow? are those the tires the airport used to plow with? why did the airport unload it?

5. LogansLawnCare

LogansLawnCare Member

That thing is a beast! Congrats

6. Masssnowfighter

from ma

It belonged to some tiny airport in New Hampshire and I belive they un loaded it because they said the truck was so heavy that it was ruining there runway after they just had it paved. They then sold it to a private individual in mass which I bought it off. His reason for selling was that he had more trucks then he knew what do with. It had a 11 foot fixed one way plow on it but I told the seller to keep it and lower is selling price instead. I plan on putting this in a big parking lot so I need a power angle and I need it a lot bigger then just 11 feet

7. gassux

gassux Member
    from NY

it's a beauty, what engine?

8. thesnowman269

thesnowman269 Senior Member

That is one awesome truck! are you going to be using it this season or just going to get it ready for next season?

9. CityGuy

CityGuy PlowSite Fanatic

Beautiful truck. Did you get the plow with it?

10. Masssnowfighter

from ma

It's got a Cat 1673 with 325 horsepower along with a Allison automatic transmission

11. Masssnowfighter

from ma

If we ever get some snow it will be getting put to work this season, lol. I found a 18 foot plow on Craigslist that I will hopefully be buying soon. I will also be using it for hauling snow which is one of the main reasons I bought it. My dump site is really rough and tri axles are always getting stuck so I kinda needed something with all wheel drive

12. thelettuceman

thelettuceman PlowSite.com Addict

Congrats ... Jealous In Zip Code 21093ussmileyflag

13. derekslawncare

derekslawncare PlowSite.com Addict

Looks sweet although if it was hard on a runway, which are typically pretty thick to absorb the punishment of landing planes on it day in and day out, I hate to think of what it is going to do to your customers lots or the city streets loaded down with loads of snow. Any special permits needed for driving it on the streets?

14. Masssnowfighter

from ma

It was at a dinky single runway airport built for little Cessna airplanes to land on. They had a snow pusher on it and when they would get to the end of the runway they wouldn't lift the pusher up so it was chewing up the asphalt on the end of the runways. They blamed it on the truck and replaced it with a pick up instead. At least that's the story I was told by the previous owner

15. IPLOWSNO

IPLOWSNO PlowSite.com Addict

I used a Walter as a kid, that thing would push snow like crazy! We did millers brewery and as it shut down we would abandon plowing some lots.

I went out in one that was 6' deep and it pushed its way right thru, right until I had to back up and the blade wouldn't get over the snow so it kept hanging me up!

Took a huge hough loader in there and that was impressive as well!

I remember the heat sucked, the noise was incredible and I remembered being able to hear a plow truck from miles away,
    My cousin had a hard on for them, he would always say AWD planetary driven etc etc he has a couple of them and I believe a Oshkosh but he's a hoarder, they just sit at his barn with a bunch of other relics!
    Up until a few years ago he still had his original 73 ford highboy and his new 77 Scottsdale with 20 thousand miles interior all done in clear vinyl covers body about rusted off it, his mom made him stop driving it because of the gas tanks!
    Now he's got a 97 navistar ford he bought new that sits in his driveway sinking into the asphalt!!
    What a waste!

16. chevyhauler

chevyhauler Senior Member

That thing is bad Azzzzzzz!!!

17. derekslawncare

derekslawncare PlowSite.com Addict

So is it/will it be street legal? Any special permits needed to road from site to site (oversize/wide load)? I've never seen one in person, hard to tell how big it is.

18. dieselboy01

dieselboy01 Senior Member

Nice looking truck, I bet it will be an amazing snow pusher! What is the trucks GVWR?

19. LapeerLandscape

LapeerLandscape PlowSite.com Addict

Very nice find. I cant get over how big it is compared to the other trucks that are not exactly small... Thumbs Up

20. White_Gold11

White_Gold11 Member

It ain't broke in Good! Nice Rig