1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

My new to me 1/2 Ton Lil' Chevy.

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by chazmanian, Oct 29, 2007.

1. chazmanian

chazmanian Member

I probably should have held out and got a 3/4 or 1 ton but the two lots that I have so far this year are not very big and I'm trying to keep my startup costs as low as possible! 1992 1/2 ton with a meyer plow and it drives like a new truck $5,000 from a private seller and I dont think the truck has ever pushed the plow a day in its life. All the wiring is new along with all shiny new mounting bolts.....I just hope it holds together for my first season as I have purchased a Western Pro-Flow 2 spreader to mount on the rear and I'm busily trying to locate an add-a-leaf kit or maybe even some airbags for the rear and some timbrens? for the front end. I really hope that the tranny and rear end hold together and just as insurance i plan on doing the plowing myself at low speeds without being abusive or having some employee who could give a **** slam it around and bust it up on its first night out.

Everything works really good and it cruises down the freeway silently at 70 MPH without a shake or even a rattle. the AC blows cold but the derned defroster door isnt routing air to the windshield so I gotta get that fixed ASAP!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I also have my daily driver a 2007 4x4 Quad cab Hemi Ram half ton that i would rather not ever need to mount a plow on!!! The big 20" Bling=Bling rims dont do well when rubbing or grinding down a curb.....
    [​IMG]

2. chazmanian

chazmanian Member

The truck has a remanned motor...The guy thought it was a 350...I think its a 305. Thing has a grip of power so my bigger concern is the "Glass-Jawed" Tranny and rear end. I sure do like the truck though....Time will tell.
    [​IMG]

3. THEGOLDPRO

THEGOLDPRO PlowSite Veteran

looks really clean man, i like it alot. just take it nice and slow and you should be fine.

4. deere615

deere615 2000 Club Member

Very nice. It does look really clean. Definetly gotta get the defrosters fixed! lol

5. HoneyDooYrdWrk

HoneyDooYrdWrk Junior Member

nice truck

that truck will hold up just fine. i currently own two trucks like that, one 1990 and a 92 and have gone threw a few more. the only thing you should do is upgrade the rear end cause it is a little weak. chances are it wont blow but when you pull the back to drain the oil one day you'll have a surprise when you see the rear end welded together. im almost certain that thats a 350 under the hood by looking at that picture but i could be wrong. as was said just take it easy and she'll do more then you think it is capable of.

good luck. beautifull truck

6. chazmanian

chazmanian Member

After being literally "Shocked" by the cost of a new Western Pro-Flow 2 sand/salt spreader ($2200+Shiping:dizzy: ) I went to work on finding a used one to fit up with the Lil' Chev.....Not an easy task as they are very hard to find. Located this unit in Indiana that is fully fucntional and hasnt had much use.

$750.00+ shipping at my cost through the shipper of my choice (Discount Frieght $232.00) from a guy on Craigs list. The guy was real cool and even sent me a vifeo of the spreader in action as I hate buying used stuff without seeing it work. So I pay-paqlled him the Moolah and the frieghters pick it up this week.

Anyone ever use one of these little dealies? The guys at the plow store here in town say they work pretty good and have a conveyor belt design.....They wanted $2600.00 + Tax for a new one and that wasnt gonna work.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

You can tell the difference between a 305 and a 350 by looking at it?:D

8. chazmanian

chazmanian Member

Say B&B How do I tell if its a 350 or 305??? It has such new exhuast that the thing is super quiet....So quiet that my first thought was it was a 305. but it accelerates like a 350? Whatever it is it has more power than all the 5.4 fords I test drove...And thats a good thing! After driving a slew of loose front ended clunking hard shifting AC aint working and it leaks like a sieve $10,000 and up 99-01 F-250's I knew I needed a Chevy!

For some silly juvenile reason the first thing I felt i had to do was flip the air cleaner lid...It gave it that cool whoosing sound.

Also I went to check the defroster linkage as you instructed but it was already dark out so i'll check er' in the AM.

Is there a way to manually put the thing on permanant Defrost and floor mode???

Last edited: Oct 29, 2007
  9. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

The block's are cast with either "5.0" or "5.7" on them, usually in two places. One one the driver side in front of the motor mount (kinda hard to see behind the power steering pump/brackets). The other will be cast on top of the bell housing flange at the back of the block where the trans attaches. Use a flashlight and a mirror and look down behind the intake on the passenger side of the distributor. It'll be there but their tough to see.

You can remove the linkage from the actuator, move the door by hand and then put a wire tie or something on to hold it there..thats the easy way...

10. chazmanian

chazmanian Member

Yessssssss!!!!!

Hopefully I can fix it proper like but after doing the math I have right at 6K spent on the truck plow and spreader.....Like to put away a grand or two for potential catasrophic failures rather than spending money on a derned acuator and 10 labor hours!

11. Jgrub75

Jgrub75 Member

Also do yourself a favor and flip the air cleaner lid back over it will run better that way. plus you wont get crap building up inside the air cleaner.

12. chazmanian

chazmanian Member

Already flipped it back....It was Juvenile and misguided of me to go for the "Big Flip" in the first place. I'm a product of the 80's?:help:

13. Jgrub75

Jgrub75 Member

I was just letting you know, been there done that. When those elements get wet they don't like to let air pass through.

14. bowtie_guy

bowtie_guy Senior Member

Good find. Should do you very well. If you grab a light and look down on the drivers side firewall area you can get the casting code stamped into the block. It might look similar to 14093638. Anyways write it down then check out http://www.chevy-camaro.com/chevy-camaro-chevy-engine-block-codes.asp?group=1 once you get the casting number and you should find it listed. If not I have a book with them all in it.