1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

my new Suburbanite

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by Donny O., Oct 14, 2005.

1. Donny O.

Donny O. Senior Member

hanve't seen any talk about this plow in here so thought I would add this!!

today the new western suburbanite plow has been mounted to my 98 Jeep Wrangler and is all ready for snow!!! lets git-r-done!!! snapped a few quick pics with my phone...from the front shot the blade looks so much wider than the jeep, but it really isn't. it's 7'4" wide. i think it sticks out about 6 inches on each side which I think is needed for when the blade is angled. I had to drive home from the shop which is the next town on the interstate with the plow mounted. yup it blocks plenty of airflow cuz the jeep was getting hotter than normal.....then the clutch fan kicked in and cooled it back off and the cycle continued....nothing to worry about though. cant wait for snow.

I think it is a pretty decent setup for smaller SUV's.....very light and fast. it moves side to side almost to fast....hard to center it. the mounting system is quick to take on and off.I ran through the motions but didn't actually back away from it and i'm guessing it will take less than a minute to mount and dismount it. probalby take longer to line the vehicle up with the plow than to connect it!!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. dmontgomery

dmontgomery PlowSite.com Addict

looks pretty good.......

3. Robbie Rooster

Robbie Rooster Member

Did you try adusting the blade speed with the screw on the pump?

4. Donny O.

Donny O. Senior Member

no....unfortunatly a manual didn't come with it so they are ordering me one....so then i will be able to see all the adjsutments. I would like to slow it down a little....didn't know it was possible though so thanks. I will look for that in the manual when i get it!!

5. Swinn

Swinn Member

After I purchased my plow I looked at trying to slow the angle speed but I did not see anything in the manual. I believe the adjustment screw is only for the drop speed. Your set up could be different though.

6. Donny O.

Donny O. Senior Member

I remember then telling me there was an adjustment for it going up and that is what kept preasure down on it for back dragging.....guess i need my manual!!

7. plow150

plow150 Member

All the manuals you need are on their website, if you don't want to wait for them to send it to you. Same stuff.

8. Donny O.

Donny O. Senior Member

now why didn't I think of looking there. thanks for the tip....gonna have to go print that stuff!! they problaby forgot to order it for me anyway.....jsut like my credit union forgot to order my checks so i went a month with no way to pay my bills!!

9. Ted928

Ted928 Junior Member

angles too fast

I just bought a Suburbanite. I have not plowed with it yet but I don't like the speed at which it angles; it is too fast and bangs. I sent Western an email asking if I could slow it down. They stated that there was no adjustment and that the unit does use a lower capacity pump compared with their commercial products.
    Their response does not impress me The lower capacity pump is needed since the rams are also much smaller. Anyway - I'll wait to see if it bothers me when I plow. If it still bothers me, I may add a flow restricter.
    If I could have seen the operation before purchasing, I probably would not have bought it.

10. plow150

plow150 Member

I thought similar last year when I got mine. Got used to it. It slows down a little when it's colder and has a load of snow in front of it.

11. deh8255

deh8255 Member
    from Indiana

Left and Right Speed

I think you will find that the left and right speed wont bother you. I thought the same thing at first. I was trying to center it perfect. Fact is that in use or in transport, you will never need a perfect center. The moves you will be making wont require the king of exactness you are trying to get. Also, when going from full left to right or full right to left you will like the speed and it is actually very smooth in a full swing. I definately had to slow the drop speed down with the screw on the top side of the manifold. I was considering cutting carrots with it. It was crazy fast. Here is a picture of my Jeep and plow. http://www.plowsite.com/showthread.php?p=243834#post243834

12. Donny O.

Donny O. Senior Member

I was talking to my neighbor(who also plows) the other day and he suggested a flow control I think. problayb the same as the restrictor ted is refering to. he was going to see if he had one and we were going to try it. if that happens i will post with results.

13. Ted928

Ted928 Junior Member

I plowed with my new Suberbanite today. It worked well. I adjusting the drop speed and it much better. The angle speed is OK when plowing but too fast when I am trying to get it centered so I can get it close to the garage wall. I have to tap the button on the hand held controller until I get lucky and it stops close to center. I am definitely interested in hearing about someone installing a flow controller.

Dismounting was very hard. It took me 15 minutes to get the pins out.
    Is there a secret?
    The dealer said it would get easier after it breaks-in. I thought about enlarging the holes in the plow (the male) with my dremel tool.
    Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

14. deh8255

deh8255 Member
    from Indiana

Hard to dismount....

I wouldn't dremel them, they will loosen up soon enough. Just put a light coat of grease on them. It will get easier each time.

15. plow150

plow150 Member

I think you'll find that as you get used to the angling speed, you can center it pretty accurately without a flow control. Not sure I'd take a dremel to the mounts, they'll loosen on their own.

Can't say I've ever had to spend much time on the dismounts. If the blade is slightly tilted after you've dropped it, ie. uneven surfaces, the pins will bind, but lifting/wiggling the blade while pulling the pins works..

16. Donny O.

Donny O. Senior Member

mine was hard the first time I took it off and no way could I lift and pull the pins myself. so I coated them with Lithium grease and now can do it myself much easier!!

17. Thebosssnowplow

Thebosssnowplow Member
    from pa

That looks like a toy.You would of been better off with the boss. Friend of mine had that sabubabaugaboo plow and it failed. Go easy and good luck.

18. Donny O.

Donny O. Senior Member

well finaly got to use mine this weekend and I must say that I now agree with others. it really isn't a problem and in the cold under load it slows down jsut to where it should be I think. plow worked great for me....jsut different plowing with a manual this year....my leg got a little tired, but I was able to hold the controler in my hand and shift at the same time!!

19. deh8255

deh8255 Member
    from Indiana

Controller location

Donny O. - Good to hear about the speed!

I am trying to figure out a good location for the controller myself. I have a manual also. Right now I have the bracket stuck up on the upper right side of the instrument panel frame to the left of the radio. Seems pretty good there. It is in the line of sight and easy to get at. I see some guys fabricating brackets to mount on the shifter and also some guys strapping them to their legs. I am going to keep working on a better solution. In the meantime if you or anyone has a good idea for us folks with manual transmissions, shoot a reply or even a picture if you can. Thanks.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2005
  20. Donny O.

Donny O. Senior Member

i was able to keep it in my right hand and work the plow and shift at the same time....I don't think my hands are that big either. seemed to work ok though.