1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

My new SnowEx push spreader

Discussion in 'Equipment, Tools & Vehicle Pictures' started by WIPensFan, Dec 5, 2013.

1. WIPensFan

WIPensFan PlowSite Veteran

Looking forward to using this next snow we get...Seems to be built real well and is all stainless. Holds 160 lbs.

photo copy 3.jpg

photo copy 4.jpg

photo copy 5.jpg
  2. BC Handyman

BC Handyman PlowSite.com Addict

Nice, you get a good price? what you planning on running in it? let us know how good it works.
  3. WIPensFan

Thanks, could have gotten it cheaper if I shopped around and ordered online with no tax. Paid $600+tax. My plow dealer is a good guy and I told him to just get it for me. He also did the little bit of assembly it needed. I will run bagged Halite and Pro Slicer through it. I'll let you know how I like it once I use it a few times.
  4. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Who's going to push a 160 lbs of salt!
  5. WIPensFan

wesportThat's how we roll in WI!!:D
  6. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

To the hospital ,for a hernia operation.
  7. WIPensFan

:laughing: Yeah, I'm not ruling it out...
  8. R75419

R75419 Senior Member

How does it compare to the good fertilizer spreaders like Lesco/Earthway? I hate pulling the trigger on "salters" as they seem to jack the price another $100 or more compared to a comparable stainless fert spreader.
  9. cda817

cda817 Senior Member

I have the snowex drop spreader and love it. I'm sure you will like that one just keep your product dry and you be much happier.
  10. gene gls

gene gls PlowSite.com Veteran

I tried a push spreader one time, on ice, like tits on a bull. Tires need studs so they don't just slide.
  11. Triton2286

Triton2286 Senior Member

Not everyone is an old geezer like you.
  12. DaveCN5

DaveCN5 Senior Member

Looks good! We just picked up one of the SnowEx SL-80SS walk behind sprayers to run brine with to try out on walks as an experiment. You just reminded me that I need to mess around with it tomorrow. Good luck with yours! They are nice units.
  13. 94gt331

94gt331 Senior Member
    from usa

That's very nice, I couldn't afford that much on a walk behind spreader but I'm sure it's worth it and you probaly have the work for it. Good luck nice unit.
  14. indplstim

indplstim Senior Member

the best feature of this spreader is the high output opening the material flows though. Proslicer will work in about any decent spreader. coarse rocksalt will only work well in a high output opening. I have an old earthway spreader laying around somewhere in the shed with the small 3 hole opening ripped out to make about a one by three inch hole. Works great now...just can't shut it off
  15. WIPensFan

Well, I have a blue Earthway spreader for salting and it's ok, but doesn't hold enough material. I don't have a high end fertilizer spreader so I can't compare.

Yep, I always keep my stuff dry. Good to know you like yours.

If it's pure freezing rain I can see some sliding but in 99% of the conditions I've never had trouble with my spreaders rolling. Usually once the tires start getting material sticking to them it creates a friction so the tires can't just slide. Just throw a little by hand out of the hopper to get started.

Thank you. Would like to know how yours works out. If you have some feedback on it before you switch careers, put it on this thread if you like.

Thanks. Really it's a convenience thing for me. This way when I haul my Bobcat to plow with. I can then salt the lot without having to run back to the shop to get the truck with the tailgate salter on it.

:laughing: ...and shutting them off is usually an important feature.
  16. EGLC

EGLC PlowSite.com Addict

I have two and LOVE them.
  17. Jt13speed

Jt13speed Senior Member

I first thought those flaps were for maybe for increased hopper capacity!wesport Ive never seen one with flaps like that to control your spreading width...someone was really thinkin with their dipstick on that one!:drinkup:
  18. WIPensFan

That's great to hear, thanks.

Many of the salt spreaders and some fertilizer spreaders will have the deflectors, it's often an expensive add on. In this case it comes standard on it and they jack the price. 3 pieces of plastic...that'll be an extra $80 please :dizzy:
  19. EGLC

EGLC PlowSite.com Addict

The delfectors really help trim down salt usuage, you can turn down the flow of salt and get a very tight, even spread. The money you spend on this salter you can save on saved product if you do extensive walks. Plus the poly/SS build of it and greasable parts gives it a long lifetime if maintained
  20. DaveCN5

DaveCN5 Senior Member

I messed around with it a bit today, just running water. It's a very well built unit. The only thing I would really change is the spraying width. It only comes with 1 nozzle and when spraying it barely clears the tires, so it would take a much longer time to do a large area than with a regular spreader. And it's heavy. But having the wand at the flip of a switch is pretty cool. Especially for stairs. I think the hardest part will be figuring out the right mixture of brine to run through it. I should get a good shot at messing around with it for real on Monday.