1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

My new snow dogg on 05 Tacoma

Discussion in 'SnowDogg Snow Plows' started by searlo45, Dec 17, 2008.

1. searlo45

searlo45 Junior Member

A couple of weeks ago I put a snow dogg on my tacoma (2005, newest style) because of many reasons,,,,,,,they look like good quality, the price is good, it is a stainless plow, not plastic!, etc..... etc... etc...

Overall I guess I would say i am pleased with many aspects of the plow, and I only have one major fault with it and to me IT IS MAJOR. This fault could have been avoided by me early on but I figured, hey...Snow dogg recomends the MD 68 for this truck, and I am sure they have tested it on many just like mine. Well, I think I might have been wrong on this assumption....

So my fault with the plow....THE DARN THING ISN"T WIDE ENOUGH!!!!!! With the plow blade straight, it is barely wide enough to cover my tire tracks....With it angled, as you know it is worse,,,,,,,but the worst part.....try going around a corner, a slight corner at that...with it angled, and well, you might as well forget it! So.... disapointed, yes very in this aspect. My fault?, maybe. I should have taken an exact measurement off my truck before slapping down the cash. I just thought that they would have been aware of this situation, this is the plow they offer for this truck!. I cant imagine it would be any better on a colorado, or dakota. Maybe a wrangler (TJ) or older, or a ford ranger, etc..it would be great. I think that it needs atleast an additional 2 inches on each side. Heck, I would have put a 7.5 MD if they would have let me! The weight isnt all that much more!

Anyway, in closeing, I like the plow itself a lot, I just think that it would be better suited for an even smaller truck. I thought it would be ok, I wanted steel, and now I must live with it.

2. smoorman

smoorman Sponsor

Unfortunately we can only recommend plows that will not cause the vehicle GAWR, FAWR, and RAWR to be exceeded. You CAN ignore our recommendation, but your truck dealer would be within their rights to not warranty affected suspension components.

Your truck won't break our plow - but we don't want to put ourselves in a position where we've broken your truck.

Scott Moorman
    SnowDogg Plows

3. searlo45

searlo45 Junior Member

Thanks for the reply Scott, I do understand what you said, however, when designing this thing, could you have saved weight with a little less moldboard and a little wider blade. Probably a lot more designing to go along with that I guess. Anyway, no big deal I guess. But hey do me a favor please. If you ever come up with a wing type deal for this plow, will you please let me know. I think that this would eliminate the snow from falling back down into the tires of the truck. It would definately help alot. Other than that, like I said, the plow works great, and seems to operate great. We have another storm coming Friday, and then supposedly the potential for a Northeaster on Sunday, so It will hopefully be seeing some good use. Thanks again for the reply.