1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

my new setup ....

Discussion in 'Strobe Lighting' started by Pinzgauer, Jun 27, 2010.

1. Pinzgauer

Pinzgauer Senior Member
    from Vermont

I finally got around to do my setup the way I always wanted it.

What I have are front flashers, rear flashers, side flashers and front and rear work lights.
    As far as the flashers go I went with the Whelen LINZ6 since I wanted something unobtrusive when not on. The LINZ6 are incredible bright. Even in bright sunlight I barely can look into them from 15 feet away. At night, forget about it! I mounted them on my TracRac setup. Especially the rear ones were a perfect fit.

To begin with I tapped into the 5th wheel power supply that came with my tow package. Its a dedicated 50AMP factory installed harness from the engine compartment to the bed .

I installed a dedicated power bar and fuse block in my tool box. So all my accessories have clean ground and a dedicated fuse.

I installed round rocker switches in my overhead console. Although I currently only utilize 3 switches (flashers, front rear work light), I installed 5 for future expansions.

I ran Cat 5e cable from my tool box to the overhead location. Its 24V rated and gave me a total of 8 conductors in a small diameter cable. All I use it for is to trigger the relays located in the tool box. Everything is switched via relays.

All the connections are either soldered or made with 3M connects that have silicone sealant in them.

I’m not sure yet but eventually I might mount the front flasher on my mirrors and the rear ones next to the 3rd break light assembly. Well see.

You might have better ideas, but for now this works well for me.

Here is a link to the install.

http://www.mountainworks.biz/GMC/flashers/flasher_install.wmv

2. Fourbycb

Fourbycb Senior Member

Nice Video of the Install now lets see a video of the final works you cant gets us all excited and not show the end results Let There Be Lights

3. kitn1mcc

kitn1mcc Senior Member

Cat 5 Cable and Telephone Splices

4. Pinzgauer

Pinzgauer Senior Member
    from Vermont

kitn1mcc

Maybe I'm wrong, but your words don't seem to be meant as a compliment.

CAT5e, to be exact (there IS a difference), to pull the relays only, 16/4 stranded for the LED flashers which need 4 conductors for a complete setup.

Although initially developed for the telecomunications industry, not all 3M connects are "phone splices" any longer. Their ratings and applications vary greatly. You can't beat the longevity of the silicone sealed connections. Being a licensed telecommunication technician and electrician I am pretty knowledgeable about ratings and uses of various cables and connects. Then again, maybe you are a Licensed Electro-Mechanical Engineer, in which case I would welcome your input.

IfI am wrong about your meaning, I apologize but I don't think anyone likes their work to be dissed .......

5. groundbreakers

groundbreakers Senior Member

some poeple are critics .... better job then what i usually do LOL ... great video

6. kitn1mcc

kitn1mcc Senior Member

yes but they are not listed as SAE OK

7. Sno What

Sno What Member
    from CT

8. Pinzgauer

Pinzgauer Senior Member
    from Vermont

Thanks for the heads up but I really don't care.
    Every time someone goes public you open yourself up to criticism and stupid comments like his. He is looking at a semi finished install and his only argument is: " wah, wah but it's not SAE OK, wah, wah". He doesn't even get the difference in using UL approved cable and taps for low voltage switching of relays only. In my world everything 12V is low voltage and subscribes to a much lesser standard than what I'm used to. What seems to rock his little world isn't even a second thought fir me.
    So please don't think a gnat like that could ever get to me.

9. Sno What

Sno What Member
    from CT

he's a per-fessional....anyway it seemed kind of underhanded to bash you over there. Just a heads up.

10. Pinzgauer

Pinzgauer Senior Member
    from Vermont

Thanks guy-*
    *Maybe not SAE Ok - whatever that means since not every piece of perfectly suitable component even wants SAE approval - , however I am not a manufacturer, just a guy who likes to work on his truck. Probably like the majority here. *I do not want to put junk or shoddy materials into my work. Maybe not SAE OK, but OK by probably any other certification entity.
    Here is the spec sheet.*
    http://multimedia.3m.com/mws/mediawebserver?mwsId=SSSSSu7zK1fslxtU4xmB58_Zev7qe17zHvTSevTSeSSSSSS--

11. truckie46

truckie46 Member

You sir strike me as a giant cowardly ****** bag who works in emergency management not because it is indeed a necessary component to public safety, but because you could never hack it as a firefighter or cop and it gives you an excuse to litter your vehicle with wacker lights. Just my humble firefighter, emergency management, veteran snowplowing opinion. (I didn't really care about your comments until you started bashing on elightbars!)

12. Sno What

Sno What Member
    from CT

haha - I called him out as a wacker over on the "other " website...we got the thread moved to "The Ring" - the unmoderated section.

13. lotec25

lotec25 Member
    from Florida

How frikin dare anyone out there make fun of kitn1mcc after all he has been through.!

He lost his aunt, he went through a divorce. He had two frikin kids.

His husband turned out to be a user, a cheater, and now he's going through a custody battle. All you people care about is….. readers and making money off of him.

HE’S A HUMAN! (ah! ooh!) What you don’t realize is that kitn1mcc is making you all this money and all you do is write a bunch of crap about him.

He hasn’t performed on stage in years. His song is called “give me more” for a reason because all you people want is MORE! MORE-MORE, MORE: MORE!.

LEAVE HIM ALONE! You are lucky he even performed for you BASTARDS!
    LEAVE KITN1MCC ALONE!…..Please.

Perez Hilton talked about professionalism and said if kitn1mcc was a professional he would’ve pulled it off no matter what.

Speaking of professionalism, when is it professional to publicly bash someone who is going through a hard time.

Leave kitn1mcc Alone Please…. !
    Leave kitn1mcc alone!…right now!….I mean it.!

Anyone that has a problem with him you deal with SNOWPIMP, because he is not well right now.

LEAVE HIM ALONE!

TA DA!!!!!

14. Pinzgauer

Pinzgauer Senior Member
    from Vermont

Just so that I get this straight. What you're saying then is that it is okay for him or her -- I'm a bit confused on the gender from your post -- to criticize me here, as well as trash and drag me through the mud on an other forum, but it is not okay to give any back? Did I get this straight?

Besides, what do you know about my life. Maybe I have a sob story as well.

15. lotec25

lotec25 Member
    from Florida

Pinzgauer,

No that is not what i meant at all. Let me refer you to this little link. Hopefully you get the funny after you see this.

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/kHmvkRoEowc&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/kHmvkRoEowc&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Pinzgauer I think the way you did it is fine to be truthful, The Specs on Cat5e cable are more then enough. kitn1mcc is just upset because you did not give him a chance to install it with his special skills he has for pulling wire threw a FireWall.

Wait now that I say FireWall, and Cat5e see they do match.

And i wanted to add if i ever had to run lights i am going to Use Cat5e now I work with the stuff all damn day best idea i ever Stole

TA DA

Last edited: Jul 13, 2010
  16. lotec25

lotec25 Member
    from Florida

Pinzgauer,

And look at this thread, http://www.plowsite.com/showthread.php?t=81217 The dude did brakes and a light bar come on now, how can you Compete with Brakes and a lightbar???

He does have an O&A sticker on his bumper so that did give him a few cool points back.

17. Pinzgauer

Pinzgauer Senior Member
    from Vermont

Very funny! And I get it now. Please accept my apologies if I offended you.

Let me also say again that I used the cat5 only for the relay coils, not the lights and flashers which are fed from the relays with non SAE approved 16 gauge individually and overall jacketed stranded.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2010
  18. lotec25

lotec25 Member
    from Florida

Pinzgauer,

You could not offend me if you came and crapped on my lawn, although i hope you don't as my dogs would be upset that is there bathroom.

On another note i cant get your video to work now.

19. Pinzgauer

Pinzgauer Senior Member
    from Vermont

I still want to post a video if the final, cleaned up install with the flashers working.

Can I bring my dog to crap on your lawn? :)

20. lotec25

lotec25 Member
    from Florida

I want to see the video, I think is looks good man, those ties and cable are used outside all the time. Hell i install that stuff outside.

sure bring your dog, i am sure mine will not care if they crap in the yard.