1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

My New Rig

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by GreatBigTuna, Nov 26, 2004.

1. GreatBigTuna

GreatBigTuna Member

Here is the newest addition to our little family. I just bought the truck on Monday, picked it up on Tuesday, and my Western dealer had me all hooked by by 3:00 this afternoon. Great shop!

I still need to get her lettered up, but I'll get that done next week. This is my first Western, and this plow is huge compared to my Meyers 7.5's. My partner is going to drive this truck, but if it were a CTD, I think I would have had to taken it from him! :D

I also just picked up a couple of Toro 3650's from e-Bay, all I need now is to find a skidder to load my salt, and I'm ready to start doing the ancient tribal snow dance. :bluebounc

Let me know what you all think. Thanks!

Last edited: Nov 26, 2004
  2. qualitylawncare

qualitylawncare Senior Member

sweetttttttt :nod: :waving:

How big is the plow? Looks like an 8'6"...

I am in MD as well Frederick you will love your Western. I cant justify a new one yet but that pro plus looks nice. Who did you have put yours on? Good luck on the snow dance it has not worked for me yet. It just comes when you have about ten other things going on.
  4. jpunlimited

jpunlimited Senior Member

field of dreams

plow it and they will pay!
  5. GreatBigTuna

GreatBigTuna Member

Steve -- It's an 8' Pro+ with the wings. Although it looks bigger to me for some reason. I guess it's the tall moldboard. Thanks for the compliment! I'll post another pic once I get it lettered and get the lightbar installed.

NextDaySigns -- I bought it at S&S Auto Performance in Annapolis. I was originally looking at a Blizzard 810, but I've heard some horror stories about parts availability around here and the Western dealer is open with mechanics on duty 24x7 during snow, so that kind of sealed the deal. I just knew I didn't want another Meyers. :) They gave me a nice deal (about a grand cheaper than the 810 / snowex V combo I was looking at) and threw in a parts kit for good measure, so I think I found my new regular plow dealer :D .

BTW... I take it by your handle that you are affiliated with Next Day Signs. If so, do you guys do lettering? I need some magnetics as well. I'd rather give my business to a fellow plowsite member than a stranger. Let me know. Thanks!
  6. btrussell

btrussell Member

Did you get that done at s&s auto in annapolis? cause i was up there today getting hydraulic fluid and looks like the same exact plow they had out front. Sweet looking rig you got there!!
  7. btrussell

btrussell Member

ok well you already answered my question in the post before mine and i didnt read it till i sent the other. I've heard lots of good stuff about s&s although i cant believe hydraulic fluid is $9 a quart! oh well still cheaper than a new pump. Have a nice day.

GreatBigTuna no magnets next day signs is my business I place real estate signs and I have guarantee they will be installed in a day. Look over the posts there is a guy who makes signs someone just started a thread looking for him.
  9. qualitylawncare

qualitylawncare Senior Member

$9.00 a quart!!!!!!!! :eek: :eek:

Get it from Angelo's Supplies.com

I buy a quart and then a gallon, and refill the quart bottle from the gallon.

$3.49 ~ per quart
  10. btrussell

btrussell Member

yeah i had seen online where the fluid was like $4 and I live almost 2 hours from my dealer and they don't ship the fluid. So I went up there yesterday thinking it would be cheaper. guess i should have called beforehand instead of assuming. but i bought 5 quarts for $46 and I was going to turn around and leave after going all the way up there. I could have bought a whole case online for 50 some bucks. oh well next time ill get it online and at least it only takes 2 quarts so i have some extra for next year.
  11. ultimate plow

ultimate plow PlowSite.com Addict
    from N. IL

God I love westerns! How come people dont compare them to blizzards....
  12. salopez

salopez Senior Member

i see you took my advice and looked into western and s&s huh....you will be happy! i just got my wings from them last week and it really makes the plow look big!
  13. WELDER

WELDER Member

whats up with the snow dance? i must not know how to do it cause its 50 degrees here in pa. :(
  14. Boast Enterpris

Boast Enterpris Senior Member

Nice setup I like the wings! :waving:
  15. GreatBigTuna

GreatBigTuna Member

Thanks guys for the complements.

Steve -- Yeah, after talking with you, it was wierd, but everyone I talked to about the Blizzard was saying the same thing. I've never heard anyone speak ill of a Western, so I figured I'd give them a call. Talking to Dana over at S&S really sealed the deal. Those guys have great service over there, and the fact that they could put it on so quickly this close to snow was pretty impressive as well. You mentioned the plow looking big... Jeeze Louise, the darn thing seems like it sticks out a foot past each side of the truck even when it's fully angled. It should definately be able to move some snow! I like the HUGE tubular reenforcements and beefy A-Frame. I tell you, I swear I saw my Meyers tremble in fear when I sat that thing down next to it!

Welder -- It's 50 degrees because I haven't started the snow dance yet. Right now I'm doing the "Please Don't Let it Snow Until My Salt Gets Delivered" dance. :D Don't worry though, I'll start my snow dance next week ;)