1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

My new PolyCaster - bucket fell off the loader

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by jimhoff, Nov 15, 2006.

1. jimhoff

jimhoff Junior Member
    from Alaska

Picked up my new Fisher PolyCaster in Anchorage yesterday. Installed it from 6:00 p.m. until 11:00 p.m in my '04 F150 work truck. Installed as recommended, the deflector was interfering with the license plate area. I had in mind to re-shape the deflector and made my cuts on the braces (see red circle) ...

http://www.hoffpropertymanagement.com/bucket/bumper.jpg

...but found that would not help, so I removed the rear bumper. Between the tailgate and the bumper, I figure I lost 150# so I can take a full load if I don't bring the plow. Now I'll have to re-weld the stainless deflector to the brace where I made the cut.

The spreader came with everything needed to do the install, right down to the zip ties---except you need some 2x8 boards to build a frame to keep it from sliding forward. The instructions gave some incorrect dimensions, so measure.

I poured in 14 bags of P-gravel I had on hand and spread it. Worked nice.

This afternoon, I thought I'd try some sand from the gravel company. They have an indoor pile and a Bobcat to load into v-boxes.

The good news is the first 1/2 scoop was free.

The bad news is the bucket fell off the loader:

http://www.hoffpropertymanagement.com/bucket/artwork.jpg

The operator was rocking the bucket to get the material to fall out, about 1 foot above the edge of the PolyCaster. the bucket fell onto the PolyCaster, almost stayed there, then slid down, the back hit the ground and the rest messed up the side of the truck bed.

I phoned them several hours later. The office manager said to get 3 bids and they'll pay for it.

The plastic spreader body appeared to sustain no damage, other than scuffs:

http://www.hoffpropertymanagement.com/bucket/lid.jpg

One last photo of the sand almost run out shows some bridging?:

http://www.hoffpropertymanagement.com/bucket/bridging.jpg

Has anyone heard of a bucket falling off? Is this just incredibly bad luck or should I be looking for a beater flatbead?

2. DugHD

DugHD Senior Member
    from Maine

Sorry about what happened , but its funnier than hell. :D
    The operator must not have had the bucket connected on the bottom. Bummer to say the least. It is surprising the bed caved in that much from the bucket falling on it. Good luck.

3. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

That's a tuff one on the truck.

That is not bridging if that is the track I can see in the last picture. Did you spread that standing still or were you driving? Most of that material will fall down when you drive and spread at the same time.

Bridging is when the material along the track gets tunneled out and there is no more material on the track but there is lots just above the track. When you look in the salter it looks full but there is a big hole just above the track. This occurs with wet material or when you plow for a while with the salter loaded. Hope you can make sense out of that.

4. firelwn82

firelwn82 PlowSite.com Addict

Get '5' Five quotes just to make it good. Give them all, let them decide. Most likely they will go with the middle. I did laugh cause it wasn't mine. If it were mine I would be pissed, but its not..... LOL. Good luck and many profits.

5. jbone

jbone Senior Member

I wouldnt know what to say. "sorry" and "we'll fix it" wouldnt cut it for me. I know theres only so much they can do, but maybe a free load of material if you ever need it, and whole lot of ass kissing on top of that would do

6. itsgottobegreen

itsgottobegreen PlowSite.com Addict

Sorry about the truck. But isn't that just a tad to much weight when fully loaded on a F-150.

7. Bruce'sEx

Bruce'sEx Senior Member

I'm sorry but only way a bobcat bucket would fall off that I can think of is.
    A. the operator forgot to lock down the bobcat bob-tach sytem.
    B. Some magical way the to pins that the bob-tach uses that come out the bottom to hold the attachment on. both broke off. and thats well like very unlikely.

Plus if B was to happe, you would have noticed the bottom of the bucket swing out from the bobcat, while the upper part was still, resting on the bob-tach, atleast until the bucket was tipped to far, and slip off.

8. jimhoff

jimhoff Junior Member
    from Alaska

I can't fill it. The truck has a 2600# payload cap--it's 8200# GVWR package. The polycaster is 550#, that leaves about 1500# after gas, cell phone, and my fat ass. Take off the tailgate and bumper and I'll figure 1650 pounds sand, about 3/4 yard. I bought the sander figuring I'd move it to a bigger truck next year.

How does this damage even get fixed? Will they keep the bed for awhile and I can still plow and maybe mount the sander on the framerails for awhile? (--off topic)

The material stayed right there in the bottom like that even after a bumpy ride.

9. itsgottobegreen

itsgottobegreen PlowSite.com Addict

What plow do you have on the front.

10. jimhoff

jimhoff Junior Member
    from Alaska

Fisher 7.5 LD. Bought from the dealer with it installed. 600#, I think.

I plow our twelve 4-plex apartments. Plus my house. plus my neighbor's house. Plus the church....

I like the manuverability of the combo I have. My dream rig would be a Superduty 6.4 diesel with aftermarket rear steering.

11. victoryrider

victoryrider Junior Member

Make sure you get a bid from someone you can trust, and will do a good job. My guess is that they want 3 bids and will take the lowest bid. If so I would not accept that. With a low bid you usually get what you pay for...

12. crazymike

crazymike Senior Member
    from Toronto

was just an accident, nothing can be done except fix the car.

Mistakes happen.

Many bobcats have hydraulic quick attach now, it's possible the button was hit or they were not oeprating correctly. I had a post hole auger fly off once because the one pin wasn't fully engaging.

It sucks, but you have to admit it's funny

13. Adair350

Adair350 Member

The Auto body shop should replace the bedside and paint it to match. Thats what they did to a truck my mother had when she stoved it in on the front corner of my bumper. make sure someone doesn't just bondo it up and they do it right.

Sorry and all the best! :waving:

14. lawnMaster5000

lawnMaster5000 Senior Member

Sorry about the truck. Let us know a bit more about the polycaster if you could please. I have been waiting for reviews to start showing up.

How well did it spread and I assume it kicked the sands butt, except for the little bit in the picture?

15. Theo Epstein

Theo Epstein Member

Just think how bad the bed damage would have been if not for the cover. I assume those were swung open so that the load could be dumped inside the hopper. If the unit didn't have those on there, or had just a tarp like some of the other units on the market, the truck bed would have been much more severely damaged.

16. Thebosssnowplow

Thebosssnowplow Member
    from pa

No sense to me. Look at you first photo. Right up on the bed rail is a dent. In the second photo with the lid open, the dent is under the lid. If the bucket was dropped, then how did it do that? Why didn't it slide off the lid?

17. jimhoff

jimhoff Junior Member
    from Alaska

The lid is similar to a plastic dumpster lid. I could see how the bucket might have dented the top rail right through the lid. Yet I see no damage other than scuffs. The lid must have popped right back into it's original shape. I see no creases or white stress lines in the lids or body.

Estimates are in ~$1900; ~$1950, ~$2150 to replace the bedside. I'm in Alaska things are higher up here. The PolyCaster was $4000 with me installing.

I don't have anything to compare the polycaster to, other than a 5-gallon pail and a dog food scoop. The unit seems to do a excellent job on the P-rock and a very good job on damp sand. The sand went about 20 feet wide max and the p-rock 30'. Some big clumps, 3" long went through no problem. I'm glad I got it.

Maybe later I'll post a video of the spinner action.