1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

My new plowtruck

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by BushHogBoy, Jan 3, 2005.

1. BushHogBoy

BushHogBoy Senior Member

My new plowtruck-to-be:
    1976 Dodge M880 (military) 1 1/4 ton (as rated by military) civilian issue of same truck is a W200 3/4 ton....
    360 5.9 liter with 4 barrel Edelbrock carb
    727 automatic transmission
    NP203 full time four wheel drive transfer case
    Dana 60 rear, Dana 44 in front. 4.10 gears.
    Manual steering (will convert later).
    custom front bumper LOL (was going to take it off and maybe will later when plow goes on, but it pushes through snow piles pretty good).
    factory 90's Dodge chrome wheels with 235/85/16 Daytona Radial Stag tires
    2" receiver hitch
    Lots of new parts already LOL. Good thing i enjoy wrenching on her...

She's my baby.... supposed to be getting a 7.5' Meyer plow for her...

Olly.jpg

Last edited: Jan 3, 2005
  2. CamLand

CamLand Senior Member

Your custom front bumper looks like a 2x6 bolted on...

3. BushHogBoy

BushHogBoy Senior Member

pretty much LOL. thats just what came on the truck when i got it. i didn't take it off because it does a good job busting through snowpiles (i like to play in the snow with this truck).

So far since i got her, i've replaced:
    starter
    fuel pump, filter, some lines
    battery
    plugs, cap, rotor
    wiper blades, plastic wiper linkage snap/bushings that had rotted
    voltage regulator (which fried all of the following stuff after it almost caught fire)
    ignition module
    coil
    ballast resistor
    fusible link, and a couple of other fuses.....

Still have lots of other things to do..... but its a decent, strong truck.

4. CamLand

CamLand Senior Member

I really would like to see her when finished...

5. ProEnterprises

ProEnterprises Senior Member
    from CT

when is the plow coming eric?

6. Frozen001

Frozen001 Senior Member
    from Rome NY

Looks like it is sagging a bit on the drivers side....

What snow banks are you busting through... looks like there is no snow out there... :redbounce

7. BushHogBoy

BushHogBoy Senior Member

Cam- yeah me too LOL.

Pro- hopefully really soon :bluebounc

Frozen- yes it has bad springs on the driver side, I will be replacing those of course. Well, the Wednesday before Christmas we had 24" of snow within 24 hrs. Took us 5 or 6 days to get dug out from that one, then it got into the 40's and now its in the 50's but i enjoyed the piles before they melted off/as they were melting :nod:

8. Bolts Indus.

Bolts Indus. PlowSite.com Addict

I like your attitude and spirit. Reminds me of myself at that age. Just loved to get old stuff and tinker and fixer up. Good luck with your project. I'm sure it will turn out fine. :)

9. BushHogBoy

BushHogBoy Senior Member

Dave,
    I really don't like to work on Big Blue at all.... all the EFI, computer and gadget related wiring is such a hassle (fortunately i don't have to work on it hardly at all, but when i do, argh!) however working on Olly is a pleasure to me. I love it, i am 6' 195# and can still climb right in there with the motor and work on 'er. The simplicity is just great. The body (refuse to call it sheet metal as it is so thick) is plenty beat up and the paint is a wreck but it doesn't matter to me. I'll shoot it with some olive drab paint maybe next summer or sometime whenever i feel like it and get around to it. Its a fun truck though....

Off topic but I have a question for you- never seen a pull plow in person (back blade whatever you call it) and i'm not in the market for one right now but i was wondering are they compatible with any type of spreader, so that you can have one truck to do it all? I've always wondered that and you seem like the right person to ask.
    Thanks,
    Eric

10. Robo

Robo Senior Member

I thought the trucks the military had built for them were heavier than standard civilian models??

Chevy had some military models that are supposed to be super tough and I hear make great plow trucks. They were made right here where I live Flint :nod:
    (I can remember when the truck plant got the contract at the time I believe it saved the plant from closing)

11. 440trk

440trk Senior Member

BushHogBoy... Congrats on the getting that beast!
    Couple of suggestions:
    1. Before you do ANYTHING ELSE, grease those front hubs! (gotta pull the tires... PM me if I can be of any assistance).

2. Are you SURE there's a 360 in there? The Military trucks were 318's. Yours may have been swapped out (no problems....just curious)

3. How well to those later style rims fit? Any rubbing issues? I know they have a different offset than the older ones, but they look pretty good on your truck.

4. Feel free to drop me a line if you have any questions about these trucks. 440trk@excite.com

Last edited: Jan 3, 2005
  12. REAPER

REAPER 2000 Club Member
    from 60050

I agree. before 1994 dodge Ram's were most underated truck ever and use to be able to buy at the best price tween the big 3.

I like those rims on that truck as well.

13. Bolts Indus.

Bolts Indus. PlowSite.com Addict

rear mount

Last edited: Jan 4, 2005
  14. BushHogBoy

BushHogBoy Senior Member

Robo, 440trk is correct. The nomenclature tag tells it all- Dodge model W200, military says payload rated for 2500#.

440trk, yes i know thats on the list of things to do! Everyone else has been telling me that, also to bypass the ammeter as those are responsible for alot of electrical damage or system failure in these trucks. I already had a meltdown from the voltage regulator.... Had to replace a bunch of stuff due to that (let alternator overcharge system which fried things). I am positive its a 360. I know they came with 318's but this one was swapped. Yes these rims sit in a little bit narrower than they should but I think they look fine. The only place they rub is on the driver side, the steering gearbox arm it will rub a little if turned all the way tight to the right. Other than that no problems. It might not even rub that once I get the springs replaced over there. Also, factory lugs on these trucks are supposed to be 1/2", and those wheels have 9/16" holes... my uncle used to have those rims/tires on his '78 3/4 ton PowerWagon 4x4, and he said he had to change his lugs out for 9/16" lugs and he advised me to probably not put them on the 1/2" lugs without swapping them, but i put them on and i think they fit fine. if i was really concerned about issues with it, I would take them off but so far I see no negative effects or possibility of such. 1/16" is not very much at all.... just put them on and tighten them down good, it does fine.

Thanks for the compliments on the rims.

Dave, cool sounds great, if I ever need a rear plow to work with a spreader, I will look into SnowMan!

Thanks ya'll,
    Eric

15. derekbroerse

derekbroerse 2000 Club Member

1/16" may not sound like much, but that same tiny amount of wear in the rims broke the 9/16" studs off on my truck. Picture it this way--a plow truck goes forward, then it goes back, Repeat. Now remember the wheel is not 'keyed' to the hub, so it is relying on the studs to have a good fit in the holes to do the same job.

What I found was that slightly worn holes was allowing the slop (in your case, 1/16") to bunch up on the rear side going forward, then to bunch up on the front side in reverse. Think of it acting like a hammer on the studs every time you shift gears. The eventual failure was that all eight studs sheared off under the wheel... and the truck dropped.

The difference between your truck and mine is that mine being a dually, the two wheels fit flat against each other with a plate over top that gets the taper from the lug nuts.... ie: you are relying on clamping forces.

In a single wheel application like yours you get the tapered lug fitting into a bit of a pocket on the rim, which will help... But I wouldn't count on it lasting forever. If 9/16" studs are available to fit on your truck from newer models, they are usually pretty cheap if you bring a sample into your local "Bolt and Nut" supplier as they buy them in bulk. I replaced the full set of eight studs and nuts including taxes for around $30Cnd per wheel. The truck dealer is very expensive I found.

While that may seem like alot of money at first, consider a)how much damage could be done to your truck if a wheel separated b)a ticket from the police/ministry of transport c)potential law suit if your wheel injures or kills another motorist or pedestrian

Then it will seem like money well spent. :nod:

16. 440trk

440trk Senior Member

Upgrading to the 9/16" studs on the front hubs is going to be a royal pain, if at all possible. 9/16" studs were never available on the front of these trucks, unless the Dana 60F was used. ALL Dana 44 front axles of this era truck (1/2 and 3/4 ton) got the 1/2" studs.

As for the Amp guage...mine's still hooked up and working fine. I've had several of these trucks, and have never had an Amp guage problem. That being said though, I do know of a few other folks who DID have Amp guage problems. All that is really required, is to pull the dash apart, disconnect the wires from the Amp guage, and bolt them together....heatshrink and or electrical tape the connection. Then I would look into installing a volt guage to monitor the battery condition.

You will love plowing with the full-time 4wd setup. :D

:drinkup:

17. derekbroerse

Didn't he just tell us they had done it on his uncle's truck? Also since the rims were designed for 9/16" studs, can't he use studs from the newer truck? What do they use for an axle anyways?

What is the difference between a Dana 44 from a Dodge vs. a Chevy/GMC? I don't recall it looking so impossible on the GM units I've had apart. :confused:

18. 440trk

440trk Senior Member

Oops....I just re-read his post, and he states that his uncle's 3/4 ton was a 78. As long as his uncle's 78 also used the Dana 44 and not the Dana 60F (A Dana 60 WAS available in a 3/4 ton, but isn't too common)...the stud swap is apparenly possible. Sorry 'bout that! :eek: :eek: On the other hand, it's possible his uncles 78 had a Dana 60F with the 1/2" studs, and they were upgraded to the 9/16" ones.

Bottom line: IF his uncles truck had a Dana 44 up front, than he will have no problem swapping studs. If his uncles truck had a Dana 60 up front, he may or may not be able to do the 9/16" upgrade on his Dana 44.

The Dodge Full-time 4x4 hubs are unique, and are unlike anything I've seen from Chevy/GMC. The basic axle is the same, but from the knuckles out...the full-time is unique. I'm actually surprised the full-time Dana 44 hubs will accept the larger studs.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2005
  19. derekbroerse

Well if he is taking the hubs apart to grease them, that would be a good time to investigate.

I don't think you will get a 9/16" stud thru a 1/2" hole ;) and if you could it would probably defeat the purpose (strength). The holes would need to be drilled oversize.

20. BushHogBoy

BushHogBoy Senior Member

I'm going to nominate you two for build team members on Monster Garage! LOL....

Derek you bring up good point about the slop in the lug holes getting larger.

After I fix the water pump leak and get the timing adjusted, I'll grease the front end and look at the studs. Then the springs. Last night I installed an antenna, cd player, speakers and an auxillary fuseblock for stereo, lights, and whatever else... Had to run all new wires for all of that stuff and cut a hole in the dash for the stereo. I love the factory stereo location!!! Right behind the column shifter! So much better than any other location i know of! right there where you can easily reach without leaning forward or stretching! I love it! I should have been working on the water pump leak but a friend was supposed to stop by and help with the timing adjustment, and that would be hard to do if the engine was torn apart (he had to go fix a heater at his rental though).

Then after all of that, I need to wire and install a license plate light, re-wire the whole rear end lights and stuff (rotted and cracked wires, front end has been redone mostly). And, I beleive it is missing a peice of the defroster ducting (junkyard here we come!). Fun fun.... so much to do, so little time! LOL.

It seems the deal on the plow has fallen through..... right now we're experiencing flooding issues and its 40+ degrees outside. the 2' of snow has melted and we're getting upto 4" of rain on top of that. No snow in the immediate future that i can see........ it just won't work. I have the snowblowers anyway and just have alot of driveways to do, so I might not even get a blade this year but I still need the 4x4 to get around to the jobs.

Eric :confused: :rolleyes: :help: :(