1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

My new plow

Discussion in 'Jeeps' started by theplowmeister, Jan 23, 2008.

1. theplowmeister

theplowmeister 2000 Club Member
    from MA

Hi all I just got my new plow mounted

I used to have a 7 1/2 fisher RD
    I now have a BOSS 7 1/2 V-Plow

I cant wait to try it, I suppose that now we wont get any snow!
  2. Jt13speed

Jt13speed Senior Member

HAHA dude that is awesome, talk about a plowing machine! Thats definetly the first Boss V ive ever seen on anything that small, i half thought you were kidding when i saw you say you were looking for a Boss V for the jeep! I hope it works out great for ya, definetly want some more pictures of it!

ps...oh boy watch out for the inevitable "your putting everyone in danger" guys lol
  3. v-plower

v-plower Senior Member

looks good! Let us know how it pushes.
  4. deere615

deere615 2000 Club Member

Wow that is a nice plow machine
  5. mrmagnum

mrmagnum Senior Member

That looks great! Hope it works well for you!
  6. jdadjstr

jdadjstr Junior Member

Looks awesome plowmeister! What are the specs on the plow? Were you able to get a bolt up mount or did you have to fabricate. I'll be curious how it performs for you.
  7. ppandr

ppandr Senior Member

Congrats for taking it to the next level !!!!!
  8. merrimacmill

merrimacmill PlowSite.com Addict
    from MA

Finally went Boss I see. You won't be dissapointed. Was there a specific reason to get rid of the MM2?

And that set up looks like it will be awsome for driveways. I've never seen a V on a jeep. Nice machine.
  9. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

10. theplowmeister

from MA

jdadjstr its a BOSS 7 1/2 V-Plow and I had to make the mount. Modified a Ford Mount.

merrimacmill I have 96 accounts! from everything i read it would save me 20 to 30% in time
    I have only played with it on some driveways. The scoop will come in real handy.
    I still love the Fisher... some of the stuff on the BOSS I don't know about. Like how dose the full blade trip work in the scoop position? to replace the lifting ram you have to remove the trip strings! to get at the power pack you have to tip the lifting ram out of the way, however you cant just pull the top pin and tip the ram. You have to leave the ram in float and partly collapse the ram to get the upper hydraulic line out from behind the ram mount. The push beam is very low, and that produces quite a bit of twisting to the Jeep frame. I made a brace to beef up the jeep frame. Because of that low mount Boss had to make the truck mount is quite heavy adding to the overall weight.
    It actually takes longer to put the plow on and off than the fisher.
    I can use the power mounting make down pressure for backdraging. I need to add a relay and switch to do that.
    I had a backdrag edge, snowfoil and cutting edge on the Fisher so the plow weights are similar.
  11. NLS1

NLS1 Senior Member

That is awesome! Wow, I want one! How will it hold up in the long run do you think? If with the custom fab stuff you don't expect any problems, then I would be very interested in doing something similar too. Very cool!

By the way, when you have mentioned a lead filled rear bumper, did you melt and fill it or did you fill it with shot or something? I was thinking about using your idea for ballast next year by filling some 2x4 steel tubes in the back of the truck next year with lead shot and then fastening it down to the bed somehow.

Thanks for posting pics, I agree, that is the next level!:salute:
  12. jeepguy

jeepguy Junior Member

Dude that is sweet, can you post some more pics like the mount and in scoop
  13. ABES

ABES PlowSite.com Addict
    from MN

I had to remove the lifting ram on a boss V you do not have to remove the trip springs get yourself a 2x4 or a pipe and use it to pry the springs out of the way while you pull the bottom pin for the lift ram.
  14. JeepTJ

JeepTJ Senior Member

Gee plowmeister how could you even think about putting that beast out in the streets;) Who knows what could happen. After all your Jeep is hardly capable of handling that much plow. It only has airshocks. ARB's, and Dana 60 rear end! Stuff that wouldn't be seen under a 1/2 ton

BTW, did I mention it looks great!! Here's to ya. :drinkup:

Last edited: Jan 24, 2008
  15. theplowmeister

from MA

Since its only 70# heavier than the plow I've used for 20 years I don't see much difference in how the jeep will hold up.

I made a casting (6 of them) with mounting flange cast into the lead. and bolt the lead to a C Chanel bumper. the bumper has a 2" receiver hitch, and I use 2 turn buckles at each end to keep it from rattling. The reason I made 6 castings was so I could unbolt each section and move them into storage for the summer.
    Last edited: Jan 25, 2008
  16. DFLS

DFLS Senior Member

Perfect plow choice. Maneuverable vehicle and functional plow. Perfect for tight drives.[​IMG]
  17. rjfetz1

rjfetz1 Senior Member
    from CT.

Alot easier than a Le Tourneau L-2350

Soon to have a plow on my jeep too.... who says bigger is better....life is good....
  18. bdhunter

bdhunter Senior Member

Sweet rig! (If ya get going fast enough, think ya can get it air born?)

Mind sharing where you got the front air shocks?
  19. theplowmeister

from MA

for air shocks for the front go to gabrial web site find the PDF file with shock specafications find the shock that fits your jeep then use those specs to find an air shock that are close, IE mounting, extended length, compresed length. I know the shocks from a 1985 thunderberd rear fit the front of a YJ with a stock suspention. good luck!
  20. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Looks perfect for the Jeep! :nod:

If for some reason you ever need to replace the lift cylinder, you'll only need to pull two of the trip springs. Not a big deal if you ever need too.

You should be able to pull down slightly on the upper hose to get it under the mount tab when tipping the top of the cylinder out.. If you can't then you need to re route the hose a bit. I can't tell in the pics how it's routed.
    It shouldn't, if it is then either the plow isn't level side to side (it needs to be to be easy) or the mount isn't quite at the correct height. What exactly gives you trouble when attaching/detaching? Do you find the pins get hung up on the lower mount hooks?