1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

My New Plow Setup

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by flumes, Jan 2, 2008.

1. flumes

flumes Junior Member

I recently acquired a Fisher MM1 6'9" LD plow. Details/pics here: http://www.plowsite.com/showthread.php?t=54875

Now bear with me cause I know nothing bout plows....

So today I got a Fisher dealer to price me out the mounts and wiring (less controller) for my 1997 Wrangler. He comes up with a figure of around $1000.

I figured its a good deal, considering I was told I will get the new improved wiring system with isolation module vs. the old SEHP system. But this will involve me changing the lights on the plow (which he included in the price).

Does this all sound right? I don't have a local Fisher dealer and I am dealing with a guy about 3 hours south of me. Nice guy on the phone....but I am in a gullible mode.

Any comments, advice appreciated.

Anthony

2. fordmstng66

fordmstng66 Senior Member

How old is the plow? What year Jeep are you putting it on? I am trying to make my uni-mount western plow work on my new truck, and i have to do the same thing with the electrical, and also change the plow side over to match the truck side. So that does sound right. The price sounds right. If your Jeep is older, you may be able to find the electronics on ebay. If so just ask the dealer you went to, and get the right part numbers for the electrical.

3. flumes

flumes Junior Member

I have no idea how old the plow is but it is in nice shape.

But I found a big problem today.....I installed the mounts on my 97 Wrangler, (apparently the right mounts for the Jeep). The plow doesn't line up. My mounts are 29" center to center....the plow receivers are 25-1/2" center to center!

I gotta get a hold of a dealer! I think I am screwed.

Anthony

4. mnormington

mnormington Senior Member

I really don't want to kick a guy when he's down, but you couldn't see the difference between the plow and the mount before you put it on?

5. flumes

flumes Junior Member

The jeep wrangler mount is a 2 piece mount. Each piece bolts directly on the frame rails. You bolt on then measure to get the 29 inches. (+/- 3/8 I think).

I just can't figure out why my Fisher MM1 6'9" plow doesn't fit.

Aren''t all fisher MM1 6'9" plows 29 inches center/center where they hook up to the mounts? Or are there different versions of Fisher MM1 6'9" plows?

BTW...Thanks for the soft shoe :)

6. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Did you give the dealer the serial numbers off the Plow?

7. flumes

flumes Junior Member

I will tomorrow morning. Thanks

8. rwing1

rwing1 Junior Member
    from Maine

You have a Compact size MinuteMount lower gear

I have been researching your exact plow set-up for a several weeks. What you have found out is that Fisher made 2 sizes of the original Minute Mount. The Compact frame measures 25" and change the full-size is 29" and change. Oddly, I found that only vehicles Fisher recommends 6'9" blades only and the fullsize MinuteMount headgear were the Wrangler and the Dakota. All other down-size or compact trucks used the Compact Minute Mount. I put together a quick reference page using publically available manuals from Fishers website...... http://home.maine.rr.com/rwing1/Fisher.htm

Last edited: Jan 7, 2008
  9. flumes

flumes Junior Member

Thanks a bunch for the information. I called the Fisher dealer this morning and he said the same thing kinda. To make a long story short....I can either sell the plow as is or modify (cut and weld it to 29") to fit my Wrangler.

So considering what I paid for it, I figure it will still be worth the trouble to modify it. I took the a-frame off the head frame and brought the headframe in to a welding shop. They said a couple of hours labour and I should be good to go.

Thanks for all your help ....really appreciated.

Anthony

10. rwing1

rwing1 Junior Member
    from Maine

Great! Really like to see some pics when you get it together. Take some pics of the modified plow frame for me too! In my area almost every 6.5' or 6'9" plow is the compact framework....... so I was thinking about the exact same modifications stretching the lower frame to 29-1/8". The other possibility was to modify the vehicle side mounts by moving them towards center to match. Not sure which way would be easier.

11. flumes

flumes Junior Member

From talking to a metal fabricator, moving the mounts on a Wrangler is not an option. The mounts are designed to be a frame rail extension....unless you brace the mounts longitudinally....ie making two piece mount a one piece mount. I figured modifying the headframe would be easier.

I'll take pics when its done.

12. flumes

flumes Junior Member

Well...I got the modifications done. (Might have to add a gusset or two where the connecting pins go.)

I was in a hurry to post the results. Next pics will hopefully be more dynamic pushing some snow. And then sandblast and paint this summer.

So far, it fits together nicely....the wiring and Air Lift bags should be in next week.

Let me know what ya think.

Jeep that its going on...

[​IMG]

View of the frame assembly before mods...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Had to split this post....darn 4 pic limit.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2008
  13. flumes

flumes Junior Member

More pics....
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k284/flumes/fisherheadframeupperfrontafter1.jpg

[IMG]http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k284/flumes/fisherheadframeupperafter2.jpg

14. flumes

flumes Junior Member

And the last pics

[​IMG]
    [/IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Again...it's not quite finished so I know it ain't pretty.

But I think it'll work.

Comments puhleese.

15. rwing1

rwing1 Junior Member
    from Maine

Nice!

Well......I must say to my semi-trained eyes, it looks darn good! makes me want to snatch one up soon so I can to do the same. Did they add pretty much exactly 2 inches to each side? I'm guessing a sawzall to tear it apart? Now get some pics with your push plates on the Jeep. I don't "see" any spots that need extra gusseting right off....... I'd guess the welds on the upper frame mounts are stronger than the bolts they replace anyways. Seeing is believing...... this does look a lot easier than narrowing vehicle frame mounts properly with lateral support...... although if I get one with push plates for a different vehicle(found one off a toyota) included I may try. thanks a bunch for posting the pics!

16. flumes

flumes Junior Member

They added about 1-3/4 to each side. Measure your mounts first to be sure....
    I could have added ~3-1/2" to one side but I didn't know if the offset weight would put too much perpendicular/rotational stress on the frame. (Or if it would sit crooked.) So I didn't take that chance.

As for taking it apart....torches. I would have used a sawzall....or at least a hand grinder with cutting wheel. But this guy is like DaVinci with welder/torches in his hand. Very smooth with little dressing.

I didn't want to try to play with the mounts....the headframe looked easier to fab. Looked easier than reinventing the wheel.

I should have the Air Lift bags next week and all the wiring done. Pissed me off as we got about a foot of snow here today.

Here's jeep mount pics

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Good luck in your quest.

17. rwing1

rwing1 Junior Member
    from Maine

Hmmm...... you going to leave the mounts on year-round? Do they hang as low as the pictures make it look? Ditto on the foot of snow......I got it on the other side of the storm from you. I have to Snow-Blow with the tractor when I get home....... instead of just dropping a blade when I get home from work. Not looking forward to it. I have a friend with a Homesteader on her '03 Rubicon, and she says it works great. And most of the frame comes off when not used. but they aren't laying around in backyards up here either. I might borrow the Rubicon and try it out.......see if I even like the way it plows. Let me know what you think when you get your set-up complete and working!

18. cjshloman

cjshloman Senior Member

Hey was just wondering if you could send me this info and pics to my email. I cant see any of the pics for some reason and have a few chances to pic up some sweet fisher deals, but might have to fab also. Just looking for pics to show a fab guy so he can do something for me. Thanks.