1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

My new plow for clearing under the nose of semi trailers

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Rc2505, Jan 31, 2015.

1. Rc2505

Rc2505 PlowSite.com Addict

I plow a distribution center, and have been asked to clear under the king pins so the drivers can get under the trailers better. After a lot of thought, and some research, I decided to weld up a off set blade. I can reach 7 feet under the trailers with this. Let me know what you guys think.

2. xtreem3d

xtreem3d PlowSite.com Addict

You forgot the pic

3. sota

sota Senior Member
    from NJ

pictures??

4. Rc2505

I can't get the pictures to load sorry guys

5. Mr.Markus

Mr.Markus PlowSite Fanatic

Plow tease.....!

6. Rc2505

I give up I can get the pics in my album, on my profile, but can't get them to load here

7. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

Probably just a midget with a snow blower. Bahahaha

8. Rc2505

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 31, 2015
  9. Rc2505

Ok I did it. Funny though we did discuss the midget with a snow blower idea lol

10. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

I'm betting there was frosty beverages involved to

Might wanna think about adding a wing or box the end to try and reduce the spill over

11. On a Call

On a Call Senior Member

Nice concept and idea. Hope it works as well as your fabrication.

Good luck

12. sota

sota Senior Member
    from NJ

not bad. looks massive though. most elegant idea I've seen so far is the guy with the screw on the front of a bobcat. that was tits. downside is it's reliance on that screw working (hydraulics.) interested to see how well your wing works.

13. Rc2505

I have the blade on a 48 degree angle. I have give thought to the idea of a box end on the blade, but I decided to try it out this way first, and if I need to add one, that is an easy enough task. I am plowing under the trailers, and the only real amount of snow will be between them, and with the angle, I think it will roll off fast enough and won't build up on the blade much. We are supposed to get 8 to 12 starting tonight so I guess I will figure it out by tomorrow

14. On a Call

On a Call Senior Member

Where in Ohio are you ?

I might have to look at it. We too have some trailers.

15. Rc2505

I am in Findlay

16. onsight

onsight Senior Member

I think you will be fine. I have a wing that was an old 10' western plow that we hook to one side of a 14' pusher. Gets out about 6'. The bad part is depending on how the trailers are parked. If they are all one length and parked in the docks it is not too bad. Trailers just parked in the yard and not lined up real well, or reefer units cause some difficulties. You should be fine with the windrow under the trailers. It wont be too bad and as long as they can get just under the trailer with the fifth wheel - they will be able to hook up.

17. J&L

J&L Member
    from Iowa

And it still works beautifully!

I coulda shipped one to you in Ohio lol
    you can skip to about 40 sec:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-YyEdhLN8Vs

18. J&L

J&L Member
    from Iowa

So, how did it work?

19. BC Handyman

BC Handyman PlowSite.com Addict

pics of it on your machine would be great.

20. Rc2505

I will take some pictures next time I have it mounted. As far as functionality it worked better than I expected. I played with it a little and found what works best. I have to make sure I plow in front of the trailers first. The snow builds up on the blade if it doesn't have a clear place to roll out to. I also found that 2 swipes works better than 1 does. With the second pass I had bare pavement under 90 percent. it greatly reduced my salt bill. I probably cut at least 3 tons per application out of the equation and put that money in my bocket.