1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

My "New" Old Conventional plow

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by doo-man, Nov 27, 2010.

1. doo-man

doo-man Senior Member

I picked up another truck with an older conventional plow that was in need of being re-done. I decided to blast it and paint it using the Western factory red paint. I think it turned out pretty good.

I have broken the costs down as follows:
    • Blast $175.00
    • Paints $100.00
    • Painter fee $100.00 (father-in-law)
    • Cutting Edge $125.00 (on order)
    • Stickers $ Freebie !!
      Total $500.00

Let me know what you think !!!
    [​IMG]

Western Front.jpg

plow back after.jpg

2. gearhead

gearhead Member
    from ind.

Looks good. I just had mine blasted and repainted and it cost me $175.00.

3. doo-man

doo-man Senior Member

Yeah, I could have went alot cheaper but choose to spend the extra $$$ and do it right so it lasts several years not just this year ! The blade has 4-5 coats on it and the back has 3 was able to get the front smooth just like from the factory, I also had the frame done and some hardware as I dont like rusty stuff !!

I am going to do a boss next and probably will use the same paint as it is some nice stuff and not as costly as regular automotive red !!

Post some pics of your plow when it gets done!!

4. linckeil

linckeil PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

thats the old cutting edge in the pictures. right? why did you paint it and install it with all new hardware if you have a new one on order? - and you definetly need a new one, thats gotta be worn down darn near the moldboard.

otherwise looks good.

5. x.system

x.system Senior Member

Looks good but I could have saved you $200 :drinkup: I would have added a couple more springs as well, looks like that blade will trip easy. Going to put a foil on it?

6. doo-man

doo-man Senior Member

The edge is the old one and it still has about an inch, the father in law didnt know I was gonna get a new edge so he pulled it off and painted it and it needed new bolts as the old one were rusted badly.

I am interested in where I might add the extra springs as I dont see any spots for them to go??? I am going to put a foil on it but havent decided where to get it from.

Where in Mich are you X.system ??
    If you could have saved me some $$$ why didnt you say something ?!?!?!?!

7. x.system

x.system Senior Member

I just told you lol

I've got a roll of rubber belting if you need some. I think you can also get it at tractor supply but I don't know how thick of material they carry. I used 2"x 1/4" flat stock to mount my foil. Tractor Supply will probably have that to but it will be twice as expensive as going to a steel supplier.

To add extra springs you will need to fab a lower mount then drill the hole for above.

We're located in Lyons MI, between Grand Rapids and Lansing off i96.

Did you pull your center bolt and check that area? I just did a uni that was ripped apart at the center bolt and you couldn't see it unless you pulled it apart.

I'd like to find one of those older conventionals to mess around with, I just don't want to give what people are asking for them.