1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

My new little UTV plow truck :-)

Discussion in 'ATV / UTV Snow Removal' started by lndscpe, Dec 14, 2014.

1. lndscpe

lndscpe Member

Heres a pic of my 2013 Polaris XP900, I added the fun extras, and some needed additions for plowing, stereo, heat, windshield wiper kit, turn signals and horn, 14" Firestone winter force tires (not installed for this picture) made my own rear light bar and am adding a Salt Dogg tgs02 spreader on the back this week, won't be used a ton, but thought it would be fun for some small spots around our little town. :)

Ranger frnt.jpg

Ranger rear.jpg

2. Roper7

Roper7 Junior Member

Nice looking rig!

3. Mike_

Mike_ Senior Member

Now that's riding in style, got a friend who bought a 2015 Ranger w/cab he said they get quieter riding every year. He had 2 Crews before he got the 3 seater.

4. aloe

aloe Senior Member
    from NY

Nice! I'll take the mini boss V & some wings for my truck!

5. BRL1

BRL1 Senior Member
    from Wyoming

That's awesome! I love it. Let us know how it works out

6. Shade Tree NJ

Shade Tree NJ Senior Member

What's a setup like that run you with plow, machine and all?

7. IHI

IHI Senior Member
    from Iowa

same price as a new truck:nod:

8. taxreliever

taxreliever Member

I am incredibly jealous and this would be my ideal set up as well.

I'm hoping to create something similar to this for around the $15k mark with used equipment if I can......I'd like to add a salt spreader to the back also.

So, my guess is this rig costs in the neighborhood of $25-30k, but compare that to a 5-10 year old full size pickup for the same price and over time (maintenance, gas, etc.) I truly believe the UTV will come out ahead cost wise in a very short time.....meaning 5 years from now, the truck will have had 5-10k in repairs to it and would have depreciated 5-10k at least. Whereas the UTV will still command 20-25k or more and might have a couple grand in expenses in it.....just a guess....I'm not a mechanic :mechanic:, but from what I've been researching, this is what I'm hoping to get by trading/selling my full size plow truck and getting a unit exactly like this one.

9. gmcsirrra

gmcsirrra Member
    from maine

cool set up what did that plow run you if you don't mind me askin !

10. JustJeff

JustJeff 2000 Club Member

This is the most backwards math I've ever seen. 5-10K in repairs on the used truck? And a UTV that initially costs 25-30K will still get 20-25K in five years? Ya, I can see guys all over the place trading in their full sized trucks for UTVs with plows. Not.

11. taxreliever

taxreliever Member

Fair enough......but if I may ask.....how much for a new or rebuilt tranny and fuel economy and what do you think a 2010 25-30k UTV will get today?

And my trade in isn't my daily driver....it's literally just a plow truck used for plowing....I have trucks, nicer trucks, that I wouldn't trade if that's what you're implying....I'm thinking, instead of plowing with my plow truck, plow with my UTV.

Where's your math?

$5-10k in repairs over a 5 year period is $1000-$2000 a year......you REALLY don't see that happening with a full size plow truck that is 5-10 years old with 100k+ miles on it....YA, I want one of those trucks!

12. JustJeff

I'm not going to debate, because neither side can be proven. One truck may go with virtually no repairs, and another of the same year and miles may cost 15K in repairs. You just never know. But a five year old UTV isn't going to fetch only 5K less when it's five years old vs. new. And the OP's rig may have a nice little niche in his neighborhood for making a few bucks, but it's not going to generate the money that a truck that can legally commute down the roads in the same amount of time will.

13. taxreliever

taxreliever Member

100% agree with you on the money making part of it.....as a matter of fact, in Maine, UTV's aren't allowed to travel the roads like a vehicle can...there are a lot of restrictions.

But I was basically mentioning it from my point of view of just plowing my own yard and maybe I wasn't clear when I posted my math, but I have an older plow truck, an 83 Chevy and needs very little for repairs, and just to keep it legal on the road, we're putting $1000-2000 in it each year which I'm guessing I would never put that in a UTV.........but even my brand new rigs easily take up $1000+ a year in normal maintenance, tires, higher insurance, etc.

14. JustJeff

Well, if you're only talking about personal property and a few friends or neighbors (as I'm guessing the OP is), we have no argument. From your post it didn't sound that way to me. I thought you were talking about using it as a commercial snow removal tool. As I stated earlier, I'm sure his vehicle will suit his purposes just fine, and probably yours as well if using it for what was described.

15. taxreliever

taxreliever Member

Agreed............I have a pretty large yard, but nothing an atv or utv (my preference for a heated cab) couldn't handle. I also like the idea that I could get a snowblower attachment to help push some banks back or edge around the property (using a walkbehind snowblower right now).

16. mercer_me

mercer_me PlowSite Fanatic

Nice looking setup. My only question is, will your alternator and battery be able to keep up with all that draw?