1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

My new little project is complete!

Discussion in 'Equipment, Tools & Vehicle Pictures' started by Drottlawn, Jan 16, 2008.

1. Drottlawn

Drottlawn Senior Member

I just finished my new wings for my 8' Western!:redbounce With them on, my plow is a full 10' wide scoop. They are not perfect, but will get the job done. I only need them for one job, which is large Home Depot Lot. All of my other accounts are smaller and would not require them. So I made them so they are easily removed by two pins each. There is so many cars usually there that I can only do the isles. These isles have to be pushed all the way to the end of the lot by terms of contract. Now I just need some measurable snow to try them out.:cry: What do you think?

DCP_1035.jpg

DCP_1036.jpg

DCP_1037.jpg

DCP_1038.jpg

DCP_1039.jpg

2. mkwl

mkwl 2000 Club Member

Looks good, but what if your blade trips? Did you use a rubber edge on them?

3. deckboys

deckboys Senior Member

WOW looks like it is ready to move some snow! how do they work with the trip >>??

good job on the fab work

4. TLC Snow Div.

TLC Snow Div. Senior Member

You may want to put some blade guides on the edge since you will be around cars. I know guys who have the Pro Wings which are similar and they have guide sticks also on the top edges. Nice job making those, hope they work well for you.

5. Drottlawn

Drottlawn Senior Member

I forgot to add that there is no tripping while they are on.:nono: Like I said, they are only used on one lot and they is nothing in the lot for the blade to trip on. I also plan on going slow just in case. As of right now, I have never tripped in that lot and I am going to use them in the isles, lot the whole lot. Thanks for the kind words!
    Time to sit back and have a cold one. :drinkup:

6. deere615

deere615 2000 Club Member

Looks good, great fabricating

7. Supper Grassy

Supper Grassy Senior Member

Looks good

8. Niteman9

Niteman9 Senior Member

How much do you have in materials and how many hours to fabricate,

9. lodogg89

lodogg89 Senior Member

i can tell you those will not stand up, first thing you bump they are gonna break. i made wings last year and used a lot beefier mounting then that and they still broke. I used rubber on my bottoms as well and the blade was able to trip.

10. Drottlawn

Drottlawn Senior Member

I am a mechanical engineer and designed the wings with shear bolts at the edge of the plow. The wings are made of equal size steel or larger that the plow is. So the strength is equal or stronger than the plow. That is why I put the shear points on them. I would rather rip a wing off than bend my blade. Also there is no curbs in the lot to hit.

I had my buddy with his fab shop make them, I just designed and help with building. I do not have much at all in them, just the labor for him to weld, cut, assemble. I haven't gotten the bill yet.:confused:

11. lodogg89

lodogg89 Senior Member

yea, just dont clip any edges, i think i broke mine from stacking piles, puts pressure on the wings more than normal.

12. Drottlawn

Drottlawn Senior Member

Thanks for the warning! I appreciate your insight.

13. ultimate plow

ultimate plow PlowSite.com Addict
    from N. IL

Looks like you can move some snow now. Looks good

14. Novadiecast

Novadiecast Senior Member

I think they look great. I would paint them to match the plow though.

15. TurbDies2500

TurbDies2500 Senior Member

Pretty sweet setup. nice work.

16. wahlturfcare

wahlturfcare Senior Member

i built my own but made them similar to westerns version and they hold hitting a corner curb perfectly with out damaging them. yours looks great, just worried about the top brace bending.

I have a set of prowings on my 8 1/2' blade and the 3rd night the rubber flaps ripped off from being bent and cold all the time. I now run 1/2=3/4 epdm plastic and they work alot better and scrape great too. You might try them on the bottom.

17. Jay brown

Jay brown PlowSite.com Addict

looks like they should work..... just ordered a new set of pro wings today and they cost $179 so you probably saved some $$$$$$. it's good that you beefed them up because all of our Pro wings get the S**T bent out of them. O forgot to mention one time i built a set of pusher sides for my Meyer HM 10',had brace on, rubber bottoms and the works and they only lasted about 2 hours before they were destroyed...

18. Drottlawn

Drottlawn Senior Member

Well, earlier this week I got to finally use my wings. It was only about an inch or so, but these cut my plowing time down drastically! payup Luckily, at the very end I hit a curb with my left one.:realmad: My shear bolt design worked great! No damage, just 4 little grade 2 bolts to replace. Here is two pics of them at work.ussmileyflag

DCP_1056.jpg

DCP_1057.jpg

19. Lawn Enforcer

Lawn Enforcer Senior Member

Nice work!

20. Great work, I bet in certain lots you can plow close to twice as fast - definitely a smart move. Hope they hold up! payup