1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

My new junk

Discussion in 'Equipment, Tools & Vehicle Pictures' started by Jim Prill, Mar 8, 2004.

1. Jim Prill

Jim Prill Member
    from Zion Il

My "new" 1983 GMC 3/4 ton

im000505.jpg

2. jbrow1

jbrow1 Member

I love older Chevy/Gmc trucks!

3. PLOWMAN45

PLOWMAN45 2000 Club Member

those older rigs are tough as nails

4. Jim Prill

Jim Prill Member
    from Zion Il

Would you believe it only has 10,000 miles on it. It was used for years to plow a convention center. There isnt a strait panel on it but I think it adds character to it.

83 G.M.C. 2500 4wd. w350/th350
    89 toyota 4wd. 4cyl. 5spd.
    76 f-150 4wd. transplanted 351w/c6

5. jrich01

jrich01 Member
    from Ohio

how much did you pick that truck up for?

6. streetsurfin'

streetsurfin' Senior Member

Hey, the odometer says 10,000 but much of the actuall mileage was backed off while in reverse. I can burn a tankfull of gas and only put on 12 miles some nights.
    I'm not knocking your truck, I drive an older one myself. just saying you cant use the odometer as a guide on plow trucks with the older style speedos that are able to remove mileage in reverse.

7. Jim Prill

Jim Prill Member
    from Zion Il

I paid $2,500 for it, but here is the story. My friend who I sub for got the truck with 6,000 miles ( probably a ton of hours on it though) with a blown engine. It looks like someone didnt check the oil before plowing the lot and threw a rod, but the inside of the engine was near new condition ie. no sludge in the lifter valley. well long story short we put in a rebuilt 350 and when we where done we found out the trans had cooked the third gear so out it came to be rebuilt (we found out the hard way someone changed the 700r4 for a th350 with a special adapter and it was cheaper to rebuild it. so there you have it a 10,000 mile truck w/4,000 on the drivetrain.

8. fisher42

fisher42 Banned

old gmcs

these trucks are awesome. i have an 87' gmc, and the're like tanks. can't kill em'

9. Boast Enterpris

Boast Enterpris Senior Member

I think it will get the job done cheap! Good purchase! Is that a Weatherguard tool box in the bed? If so did it come with the truck??

10. BMQ

BMQ Junior Member
    from 72315

Dosen't look like junk to me, looks like a payup maker!

11. streetsurfin'

streetsurfin' Senior Member

It's been awhile since this was originally posted, Jim. Have you any recent pictures? What kind of work have you done through the year. I liked that body style. Seems identical to the 78 I plowed in for a couple years back then.

12. Jim Prill

Jim Prill Member
    from Zion Il

I recently replaced the pass side door and fender with rust free oklahoma parts I am know in the proccess of replacing the floor pans (gotta have dry feet!!!) and the rocker panels. As far as the weather guard tool box I conned my buddy to throw it in the deal. :cool: