1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

My new jeep comes with a sno way plow

Discussion in 'Sno-Way Discussion' started by larry newman, Oct 13, 2007.

1. larry newman

larry newman Member

My '89 jeep has had it, after 8 seasons. I was running a 2 meter Western standard up front, with a back plow. Over the years, I built up the springs, 33"tires, timbrens, etc. into one hefty unit. But the frame rusted, and it was time to replace it. I was dreading the work involved in hanging all that iron from a new jeep.

Now my new '93 Wrangler comes with a lightly used ST20 Sno Way [2003] with down pressure. I'm thinking of trying to run it as is, without the back box. I've read enough on this forum to know not to use the big tires that may change the angles of the plow.

My 65 or so accounts are all city driveways, some pretty narrow. The jeep will be easier to turn around in the back without the back boxes' added length.

I'm hoping the Sno Way will do the job - the connectors look sort of flimsy...I'm wondering if there's a retrofit upgrade to the Mil connectors? Also, I'd like to add shoes...many driveways are rough concrete, with ridges and raised slabs.

A joystick would be nice, instead of the flat controller.....for $330. I'll wait a year. A 3/8 cutting edge upgrade looks like a smart idea when that time comes.

Any advice from experienced Sno Way users would be greatly appreciated.

--- 1 man, 1 jeep, 65 accounts.
    Last edited: Oct 13, 2007
  2. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

What black box? the pump cover? The receiver?

There is a shoe kit available.

The AMP plugs they use are weather tight, computer grade connecters, you could change if you want but they hold up well.

What's the serial number on the plows A-frame?
  3. larry newman

larry newman Member

I meant running the front plow alone, without the back plow. Hopefully the down pressure will let me clean by the garage and then turn around for the rest of the drive. I've gotten used to just backing in, dropping the back plow, then dropping both plows to clean the drive and approach without stopping in the street...feathering up the back plow as I go in the street. This will be different, but will hopefully be speedy enough. My route takes 6 hours with a light snow.

Already I've gone easier on myself...this new jeep is an automatic, not a standard like the last one. :D

Will advise on serial # when I pick up the unit in a week or two.

4. Pearcelawn

Pearcelawn Senior Member

Basher- I think back box is referring to the backplow.

Larry- The connectors are very well made. No sense in changing them. I agree totally with Basher. I have the handheld controller now and it woks very well. I am being forced to change to the joystick because at one of my accounts ( a pizza joint) the bar next door is using a new wi-fi set up that interferes with the signal from the controller. My suggestion is to keep it, I think you will like it. I have only had a Sno Way for 2 years but it has held up better than the others I have had. Been plowing for ten years.

Good luck this wear and welcome to Plowsite.
  5. larry newman

larry newman Member

Gosh, what a lot of changes in 8 years of plowing...a forum for us gypsies payup !!

Let's see how Sno Way equipment does in Buffalo...

There is a local dealer ...for $85, there's a tune-up that it might be wise to start with...they may know what to look for.

If this system works, I'll put the Western equipment up for sale.

I have a Bobcat 773, for when the snow is huge - I've only used it once in 8 years...it took 3 days to do all my accounts, but they were DUG OUT and piled ! Now my contracts contain a Bobcat clause, charged per visit. payup
    Last edited: Oct 13, 2007
  6. larry newman

larry newman Member

O.K....I have the unit, and it is s/n STD 201855, with a 6'-8" blade, and Down Pressure option.

I guess this is called an ST 80 Predator, bought new in 11/2003.

What should I look for on this unit?

The main connectors [2] are solid, but there are two headlight connectors that need some help...the headlights come on when the parking light switch is on, and shine brighter when the headlight switch is on.

The pin centers are 8.5" off the ground, measured with the blade dropped/gravity.
    Last edited: Oct 17, 2007
  7. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

The factory had one control plug and two headlight plugs, How many connectors do you have?
  8. larry newman

larry newman Member

There are the two headlight plugs, but there is a white wire jumper between the two cable bundles on the headlight side of the connectors.

There's also the power and control connectors.