1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

My "new" contractor....12 hours to plow 6 gas stations

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by 2moresleeps, Dec 20, 2008.

1. 2moresleeps

2moresleeps Senior Member
    from Ontario

My route is tight, no traffic & 10cm of snowfall accumulation. Does 12 hours to plow 6 medium sized gas stations sound good?
  2. snowman55

snowman55 PlowSite.com Addict

with what a 4 wheeler?
  3. Scott's

Scott's Senior Member

I plow 8 stations, 2 Speed Ways, 3 Friendships, 3 BP/Shells and a Micky Smoke shop Station and with no traffic it will take 20, 30 min per lot on a avrage snow.
  4. cjasonbr

cjasonbr Senior Member
    from Mass

Who would be able to make up something like that? It probably took him a little over 11 and he rounded up.

Do they look good anyways?
  5. NorthernSvc's

NorthernSvc's Senior Member

yea they better be pristine.
    id let him go.
    or switch to a set amount per place, and watch how his time magically improves.
  6. cjasonbr

cjasonbr Senior Member
    from Mass

Good thing they were gas stations he was plowing!!! lol
  7. CGM Inc.

CGM Inc. PlowSite Veteran
    from Ontario

Demand and supply.....just like gas prices! Plowing is cheap if there is no snow :)
  8. KGRlandscapeing

KGRlandscapeing 2000 Club Member

Gas stations durning the day can be a mess. But that sounds alittle long for even that. Then again i dont know distances i dont know other obstacles where the tank lids are or if there on a main road. Entrances can be a night mare for a guy whos not sure about himself or truck.
  9. schmol

schmol Senior Member

Thats seems like quite a long time to me! I plow a medium sized gas station with a backhoe, super tight around the back with a car wash and all the traffic and i can do it in an hour flat, no matter if its 5 cm or 15 cm. It looks excellent , right down to bare ashphalt and no snow bunnies left behind.
  10. PlowGood

PlowGood Member

Maybe he is also plowing the 7-11 next door, and the shopping center across the street from a few gas stations.
  11. REAPER

REAPER 2000 Club Member
    from 60050

1st time guy on new route? Busy daytime hours? Straight blade V-blade? Moving a lot of snow to no where and moving it again to somewhere?

Don't sound to bad 2 hours each with drive time. Not sure of circumstances or lot size but you could always do them yourself some night to check times.

A 15 min job probably looks like a 15 min job.
  12. BMWSTUD25

BMWSTUD25 Senior Member

yeah gas stations at the wrong time of day can be and usually are hell.....but for all of them to be sounds bogus. must be he uses a 7 foot blade and only believes in taking quarter passes at a time. I'd let him know he only gets a set amount per lot regardless of how long it takes. jmo
  13. yardsmith

yardsmith Senior Member

I would say yes & no- last winter I watched some poor sap try & plow out a speedway with an 85 blazer & a crappy meyers 7.5 straight blade. With so many busybodies out driving around in a storm, he would sit & wait 5-10 min sometimes to make each pass for all the cars to get out of the way. Myself, I'd block the entrance with snow till I got a portion done then move on.

It sounds bogus, but not too far fetched. See if you could have the station employee at each place call you when the guy comes to plow each time ("for safety's sake" & "record keeping"), & see what materializes........ but I'd also set a flat rate regardless, not hourly
    Last edited: Dec 21, 2008
  14. nekos

nekos Senior Member

thats what i would do , i would actually try and block an entire side of the gas station if possible.

anyway ,to the OP ... 2 hours for each place seems a little long. i wouldn't flip out just yet though, gas stations are a PITA to figure out how to get each specific one done quickly. give him another chance and see if he get's faster.
  15. carl b

carl b PlowSite.com Addict
    from Ohio

I would let him know that you know his milking it .
  16. BMWSTUD25

BMWSTUD25 Senior Member

The more I think about it, it could be legit. But only if most of the following were true.
    -New to plowing
    -all lots were busy
    -medium to large gas stations with many obstacles
    -first time on each lot and they had no similarities between them
    -he uses a 7' or so straight blade that has slow hydraulics
    -there was over 6 or 8 inches of snow
    Id give him another shot before you call him and yell that he's screwing you but I would also let him know he now receives a set amount per location regardless of time spent. This should hurry him up if he is dogging it and if he's not it will encourage him to learn to be more efficient:cool:
  17. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

How many times did he plow the lots. We plowed some of our stuff 3 times. I guess it's all about when you started. If you left everything to the end, it would have been pounded into the ground and taken quite a few passes. Also I had to go to Richmond Hill and back and that was over a hour for driving.

12 hours for 6 stations with only one pass would be slow.
  18. forestfireguy

forestfireguy PlowSite.com Addict

Unless it's a big open lot and I have eyes on them or turst them from years of working together I hate to pay subs hourly just for that reason, seems like you got snowed man. I plow a chuch(just under 2 acre lot), a shopping center (again just under 2)and a commercial building(nightmare lot, fences aeverywhere and trucks everywhere), 1 truck can push them all in about 7 hours in a 2 inch storm. Im running a new show this season and they had a sub doing lots hourly that should have been done in 4-5 hours, he was taking 9-10 I changed his pay to flat price per inch brackets and now he finishes in about 6. So was he dogging it or is just more motivated now? Whatever it is it's better that it was.
  19. big acres

big acres Senior Member

email him a link to this thread and he'll get the point.
  20. illiniplower

illiniplower Member

That seems awfully long. 10 stations last year 2 trucks with 4-6 inch snows I was done 12 hrs. 13 of them this year so it should be interesting how all it goes.