1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

My new Caterpillar plow!

Discussion in 'Equipment, Tools & Vehicle Pictures' started by BowTieDmax, Nov 26, 2010.

1. BowTieDmax

BowTieDmax Senior Member

Well its a Blizzard 8611 in differant colors! LOL

Well we have about 2 months in this. The a-frame is all 1/2" angle & plate, I'm sure it weighs more than the plow. But I know it wont break or twist. The angle cylinders were rebuilt and rechromed with a chrome thats made for salt water. The controls are off the cat joy sticks. Its been sanblasted and painted with a 2 part poxy. The when we got it back we put a couple more coats of cat yellow and black on it. Today we are gonna replace the 4 wing hoses with some new ones that have some 45deg bends coming off of the cylindes so they point up a little off of the a-frame. And Im having a piece of stainless cut to cover the a-frame. We also need a piece of flat steel to hold the deflector on. And yes the deflector is mostly for looks. Because at 10mph snow isnt really coming over the plow! lol.
    And new tracks are coming from santa this year ! !

Last edited: Jan 9, 2014
  2. SDP Hauling

SDP Hauling Senior Member

nicely done
  3. Pristine PM ltd

Pristine PM ltd PlowSite Veteran

That is a thing of beauty!
  4. schmol

schmol Senior Member

WOW! that looks amazing:nod: I really like the way you built the whole A-Frame up to handle the pushing force, the best i've seen bar none.Color matching the plow really makes a professional looking setup. You should put on some blade markers IMO.
  5. ColumbiaLand

ColumbiaLand Senior Member

That is really nice!
  6. skidooer

skidooer Senior Member

very nice setup looks great. How do you like the tracked machine in the snow, can you compare to a wheeled machine?
  7. Potomac Lawns

Potomac Lawns Member

Looks good
  8. ProSeasons

ProSeasons Senior Member

I KNOW your'e going to put the Caterpillar Logo Decal across the blade!?!?? Right?....

9. Elite Property Services

Elite Property Services Senior Member

Very nice looks great
  10. BMB Plowing

BMB Plowing Senior Member

very nicely done, that plow looks like it can push a lot of snow!
    But how do the tracks handle in the snow? I've heard horror stories about plowing in tracked machines.
  11. mercer_me

mercer_me PlowSite Fanatic

That looks great. I realy like how you painted it CAT yellow and black.
  12. viper881

viper881 Senior Member

That looks sweet! Kinda looks like a blizzard
  13. mercer_me

mercer_me PlowSite Fanatic

That's becouse it is a Blizzard. He said it was.
  14. DeereFarmer

DeereFarmer PlowSite Veteran

That looks great!
  15. JohnnyRoyale

JohnnyRoyale 2000 Club Member

Wow! That's awesome!

I was thinking of putting an 8611 on our 257B but dont know if it would handle it or not.

How did you manage to run the wings off the Cat controller?

NICHOLS LANDSCA PlowSite Veteran

Cat/ASV tracks work great in the snow, my 247 will out push my 252.
  17. Pinky Demon

Pinky Demon PlowSite.com Addict
    from Ohio

Now that's a sweet looking machine! Very nicely done!
  18. SnowMatt13

SnowMatt13 PlowSite.com Addict

Beautiful work.
    Doing it right the first time will give you many years of reliable service....
  19. f250man

f250man PlowSite Veteran

That is a sweet plow and set up.
  20. BowTieDmax

BowTieDmax Senior Member

Thanks everyone, I'm a firm believer in doing it right the first time. So I tried on this and time will tell. Atleast if it breaks its not because I cut any corners. This machine has probably the biggest work load. We have been using a 10ft push box but it just didnt work fast enough. You kinda loose the big advantage of plowing in both directions because his return push would be a trail off clean up. We really needed to angle because it pushes some big lenghts at a couple of the propertys.
    As for tracks over wheels? Tracks hands down (cat/asv). There is no comparison! I used to rent a wheeled 262 and I was always disappoined in it and almost gave up on using skid steers. Then I bought the tracked machine and I couldnt be happier. Im really gonna try hard to by another machine. There is so many unseen advantages to the tracks. You can push out into the grass without doing damage. You can stack snow ( i mean ramp up the pile and push off the edge) this does take skill and the right snow but it has amazed my clients and left no lost parking areas.
    As for the controls? Ive got 4 pins with power. So the left and right angle are the 2 buttons on the left joy stick. The left trigger (2 speed) is the wings out. And a aux 8 rocker switch brings the wings in. I had a plan to seperate the wings but we figure he will be scooped most of the time unless going down the road. If we find we need it differant we will change it later.
    Well gotta go do some more work on the equipment and stake some more propertys.
    Thanks again for the kind words!
    Oh yeah, cat stickers are coming!!