1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

My new box plow questions...troubles.

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment' started by The mayor, Dec 10, 2009.

1. The mayor

The mayor Senior Member

I picked up a new to me 8 ft box plow for my NH lx885. We got 10 inches of very wet heavy snow. We pushed twice during the storm. My tires did alot of spinning, and not the best moving. So should I assume I screwed up by only pushing twice and should have went out every 2-3 inches. Even know I have decent stock tires on the machine. Should I be looking for something else. Will chains wreck the asphalt...I would think so.
    So even with the slower move because of the tires and the heavy wet snow. It still cleaned a parking lot in less time than a truck. Lot of islands.

2. buckwheat_la

buckwheat_la 2000 Club Member

not sure what the size of your NH is but you should be able to fill your pusher and keep on pushing, you may need some weight on your machine

3. jomama45

jomama45 PlowSite.com Addict

Mayor, I would write-off your situation yesterday to the extreme weight of the snow we got. I was slipping & sliding around more than ever with my skid, until the afternoon when cleaning-up on wet pavement. When spinning & then hitting the wet pavement, it felt like I was going to do a wheelie. I got a chance to plow next to one of our wheel loaders yesterday as well. He was having the same problems, he would come to a dead stop before the box was even full due to the hard pack underneath the tires. Never seen either loader stopped before like that, especially since the pushers are undersized for the machine.

Are you running a rubber edge, & if so, were you getting down to the pavement completely? If your not running the skid tires directly on clean pavement, your always going to have some spinning. I'm sure the tire chains on the rear would help a ton, but I'd be aprehensive to run them every storm because of the possibility to damage the asphalt.

4. snocrete

snocrete Banned

Mayor, I agree with both of these guys........but if I were you, I would look into dedicated snow tires before tire chains.....but thats just me. Good Luck.

5. jomama45

I agree as well, I meant to ask what kind of tires he was using. The Snow-Wolf tires me seem expensive, but if they improve the machine performance that much, they could easily pay themselves off in no time. I believe the Snow-Wolfs are taller as well, so the top speed should be slightly higher as well.

6. snocrete

snocrete Banned

For 1300 - 1400 bucks (rims/tires), I feel they are well worth it, considering the performance improvements I noticed....and also saving on your regular tires/rims.......You are right they are taller than a Med frame machine tire, but same height as large frame machines. I'm not real familiar with NH specs, but isnt the lx885 a large frame machine? If so, no increase in speed would be accomplished.....but traction would be HUGE!!

7. The mayor

The mayor Senior Member

Back to anwser some of the questions that were asked of me. The lx8885 is a big machine, it has the weights. The tires are just stock chevron style. The edge on the plow is poly,better than rubber, it cut almost down the the asphalt and down all the way in some spots. Jomama45...seeing as how you plow in the same area,and had the same problems it will be written off. Just to heavy and wet. But looks like snow wolf tires and rims are the way to go. As always thanks again for all the advice,very helpful.

8. ppandr

ppandr Senior Member

One thing to watch for is that you are putting to much down pressure on the blade thus taking traction off the front wheels. As you start to fill the blade slightly lift or curl back the pusher...not enough to allow snow to pass under but to transfer the weight of the snow and blade to your front tires.

9. The mayor

The mayor Senior Member

Alright, ready for the next storm. Just picked up the snow wolf snow paw tires.

10. jomama45

Cool, where did you find them so quickly?

BTW, if you're not happy with them, Snocrete's gonna have some big splainin' to do! :laughing:

11. The mayor

The mayor Senior Member

Kelbe bros in Butler had them, $1250.00.

12. jomama45

Good to know, sounds like a great deal.:salute:

13. snocrete

snocrete Banned

:D..............I'm supprised you dont have some type of dedicated snow tire on your S250?

That is a good price. One of my subs bought some about a year ago, and I think he paid closer to $1350. BTW, he loves them ;)

Last edited: Dec 11, 2009
  14. jomama45

Nope, just the Bobcat Severe Duty's. They work great 90% of the snow events we get, the other 10% I just struggle a little more. If I wasn't so pleased with these tires on an all-season basis, I would definatly look into the Snow-Wolfs. I may even see if I can get my brother to try them out on one of his Cat skids vs. the regular industrial tires that he's not real fond of. I'm looking forward to hearing how well they work for the mayor first, though.

15. pieperlc

pieperlc Senior Member
    from 4-5

That is a great deal. Last week I checked two places and found the cheapest was $1550. I'll have to give them a call since Madison is not too far. Do you deal a lot with them that they gave you a deal, or can anyone get that price?

16. Deco

Deco Senior Member

ballast , ballast , ballast prsport

17. The mayor

The mayor Senior Member

That's just a every day price.

18. jomama45

Care to elaborate a little?

19. snocrete

snocrete Banned

bump for an answer.... I am curious as to what he meant by this also?

20. snocrete

snocrete Banned

So have you got to try them out yet?