1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

My new blower

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Crumm, Nov 21, 2004.

1. Crumm

Crumm Senior Member

Last spring I found a snow blower at the dump. I picked it up for the kids to take apart. They really like taking apart old engines and such. It is a Craftsman that looks to be about 70 years old. I haven't measured it but it looks to be about 18" or so and weighs about a thousand pounds. It is about the narrowest blower I have ever seen. Just for kicks when I got it home I squirted a little starting fluid in the carb and gave the rope a pull. The blower sprang to life and ran good for about 3 seconds. I then dumped a little gas in the tank and she ran for a few minutes until all the gas ran out on the ground through a rotted fuel line. I also found that it would not self propel at this time. I decided to save it rather than have the kids dismantle it just in-case I needed it.

Well last night I decided it was time to get it going. I replaced the fuel line. I then checked out the drive and found it was missing a key in the shaft. I built one and everything seemed to work just great. I fired her up and headed down the edge of the driveway. I made it almost ten feet and sparks and flames started erupting from the chute. I then realized what the wire hanging out of the side was for. It was apparently suppose to go to a kill switch. I covered the carb intake with my hand and got it to die finally. I then found that the auger (or whatever you call it) was broke loose from the shaft and hitting the back of the chute. I then got out the welder and welded it all up and went out for another test. This time I made it 20 feet and it suddenly became a wide-track. Seems as though the shaft slipped out of the hub on the right wheel and the axle was falling out the side. When the axle slipped out of the drive sprocket the key I built became forever lost in the snow. Back to the shop again.

I am going to weld, torch, wrench and tweak until this thing works. It has became a challenge now. Once I get it all tuned up and blowing I will take a picture to post. My wife is telling me that I can't get something for nothing so I am going to prove her wrong. My goal is to make it down to the end of the driveway and back once without breaking down.

Anyone else have any high tech equipment like this?

2. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

We are all kids inside. One of the kids is fixing it, the oldest one. It's better then watching TV, and more fun when you finally get it going.Good luck!

3. bolensdriver

bolensdriver Senior Member

Be careful on the welds. I remember I looked at a snowblower for sale and the guy practically welded everything together. If something went on it, you'd have a hard time replaceing things as everything was welded to the machine.

4. Crumm

Crumm Senior Member

Yeah I am just a kid.

I am planning on having about everything welded together on it by the time I make it down the driveway. That will make it more of a challenge for the kids to dismantle it once I get done playing.

5. kl0an

kl0an Senior Member

What's with all this fancy WELDING Crumm?? And you call yourself an Alaskan!! Duct tape my friend, DUCT TAPE!!

When you get done with that one, I gotta couple more down here you can work on..

I actually got my old '89 Suzuki Quadrunner with the snowblade fired up yesterday.. Hadn't been run in 5 years from what I can recall.. It's got leaky tires so I reckon I'll have to fix that somehow.. Maybe call a dealer and see if they have any tires they've taken off new bikes for customers wantin them fancy tires..

As for toys to tinker with, I've got 4 chainsaws that I've picked up at yard sales.. One runs.. I dunno what I'm gonna do with the rest.. But, they're fun to tinker with.. Oh, and 6 motorcycles, 3 four wheelers and 2 snow machines.. And a boat but, we won't talk about that *&$(*@! thing..

I even bought me two welders this past Summer that I've been tinkering with.. (I love yard sales).. Ones a real small wirefeed and the other is an arc welder.. I need to retire so I have time to play with all this stuff..

6. Crumm

Crumm Senior Member

Go to Fred Meyer and get some of that flat-in-a-can stuff. It is like bubble gum in a can that you pump into your tires. I have heard that that stuff will seal up anything.

7. Tarkus

Tarkus PlowSite.com Addict

Not sure how well it will work in cold weather and tires does not heatup or spin fast to distribute it either. I have had great luck with "Slime" in tractor tires from thorns (I have some nasty ones when I bush hog).

8. jpunlimited

jpunlimited Senior Member

one mans trash

that sounds like my old snow blower I threw out before I bought my plow!
    be careful around the kids, I learned to be a pack rat from my dump picking with my dad.(quality time)

9. Up North

Up North Senior Member

LOL! Crumm that's funny. Me and my neighbor (buddy of mine) used to do that with all kinds of stuff. Our neighbors would throw stuff out and we'd pick it up out of the trash and fix it...then parade around in front of them with their "blown up" mower or whatever it was. We fixed up a blender, a stove (put it into our fish house), a mower, a tiller, and some other stuff.

Once the neighbor right in between us threw out an old snowblower, I think it was called a Nova, or Nomad, or something like that. Anyway we put a little gas in it and it fired right up, took it out and blew some snow with it. It was a little weak but worked fine. Well anyway, the next day he comes over all pissed, he'd told his wife it finally quit and wouldn't start therefore he was going to buy a new one. His wife had seen us out there firing up his old blower and it seemed to work just fine according to her...he took his blower back home and didn't talk to us for a month. :) Ooops...

Buck

10. Crumm

Crumm Senior Member

Now thats funny..

11. Bolts Indus.

Bolts Indus. PlowSite.com Addict

Us big boys that have to have their toys know exactly what he was doing. He just never expected to get caught like that. When cheating like that you should cover every detail right down to getting rid of the evidence. Crime 101.

12. Up North

Up North Senior Member

That what we told him after he started talking to us again. Let us in on the plot and we'll even make his story look better!! Heck, haven't we all done that little routine? LOL!

Buck