1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

My New Blizzard Plow Rig

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Jay ALC, Nov 23, 2001.

1. Jay ALC

Jay ALC Senior Member

Hello,
    I decided I would post some pics of my setup for those here to see and give their comments and suggestions on. I happen to now use two brands which not many here are familiar with.
    I included links to pictures of my Blizzard 800 and Sno-Way Opta-Flow on my 1993 Ford F-250. There are many pictures and several small videos so take a look around.

Blizzard 800 and Sno-Way Opta-Flow

2. BOSS Adam

BOSS Adam Senior Member

Jay Thanks for showing us your pictures of your spreader and the plow the videos were neat to but thanks again Jay.

Adam :D

3. GeoffD

GeoffD PlowSite.com Veteran

Looks like a good rig.

Geoff

4. BOSS Adam

BOSS Adam Senior Member

Jay quick question, how many pounds of salt will that hopper hold?

Thanks Adam

5. Jay ALC

Jay ALC Senior Member

Well then let me look since I do not remember off the top of my head. The book says 10.25 cu. ft. So I believe 450lbs of fine rock salt. Not entirely sure though.

6. Rob

Rob PlowSite.com Veteran

Jay,
    Nice lookin' truck.

7. Highpoint

Highpoint Senior Member

Western Spreader?

Looks the same to me. I've dumped 12 - 50# bags of salt into my spreader. It was FULL.

Doesn't the Blizzard plow have hydro wings?

8. Jay ALC

Jay ALC Senior Member

Highpoint,
    The spreader is called the Opta-Flow, and it is made by Sno-Way. The plow is the Blizzard 800, not the 810 which does have expanding wings. I did not want to try the wings and heavier plow on this truck being a 3/4 ton. The 810 weighs about 200 pounds more than the 800.

9. Highpoint

Highpoint Senior Member

Opta-Flow?

Just kidding. I was just saying that overall, the unit looks just like my Western spreader. News to me on the diff. between the 800 & 810. Just my .02 but a work truck is a work truck. You use the hell out of them, then you get another. We have been pushing snow since 1987. Started out with a 1976 Ford Hi-boy and a Meyers 7.5. Over the years we have used Fords, Chevys and Dodges. All have worked well. 4 years ago we started adding permant wings to our plows. We had 2 plows with custom wings installed that measured a total width of 10feet 2inches. That was put on a 1997 Dodge 1 ton. That truck pushed down in Springfield and St. Joe a couple years ago when they got 20 plus inches. We took 5 trucks and a Bobcat for a money making roadtrip. Did pretty well. My point is, regardless of what the truck manufacture says. You can do pretty much what you want to that truck. Any way, you got a damn good looking setup. I hope you get to put it to good use.

10. Jay ALC

Jay ALC Senior Member

Highpoint,
    I agree totally and don't you mean "up" in Saint Joseph. I am located just north of K.C. :)

11. Highpoint

Highpoint Senior Member

oops

St Joe, Joplin, Springfield, all the same to me. Probably wont be taking a road trip up north. We did go to Lawrence Kansas once. That was a bust!

12. Jay ALC

Jay ALC Senior Member

Yeah it's a bit far, about 5 hrs.

13. Highpoint

Highpoint Senior Member

traveling

We figured that 3 hours max is a good distance to go and be able to get back to town if it starts snowing there. We stay in constant contact with homebase. We won't travel if there is any chance of snow at home. But if it don't snow overnite at home and it does somewhere else. We're gone! We won't travel unless the target town has 6 inches or more on the ground. After arriving, we start going door to door mainly to businesses or churches. Then we start on residentials. This works out well when you pull up at a business with 3 or more trucks ready to go. We can usually get the job right away. The business just can't pass up the opportunity.

PS. Not sure how we got off on this tangent:D

Last edited: Nov 24, 2001
  14. Bryan

Bryan Senior Member

Opta-Flow Capacity is 600-700 lbs. depends on material used. #1 rock salt is suggested but has metering levers at the bottom to adjust flow of material through the throat.

15. CT18fireman

CT18fireman Banned

Nice looking truck. My only suggestiong would be maybe a tire upgrade. Maybe it is just me or the pic but those tires look not aggressive enough.

16. John Allin

John Allin PlowSite.com Addict

Jay,
    When you told me last night that you were going to "post a couple pictures" I didn't realize it would be an album.... nice job.

Sure glad you didn't email them to me... I'd still be downloading.....

17. Jay ALC

Jay ALC Senior Member

Bryan, I did think the capacity was more but wasn't sure how to interpret what the book said about it. I haven't actually filled it yet but I look foreward to doing so;)

CT18fireman, I aggree the tires on there are Goodyear Workhorse Xtra Grips but have worn down considerably from their original tread even though they are only a year old. I plan on replacing them within the next couple weeks, possibly not till after the first storm which shouldn't be too bad. I still haven't decided what to go with but if I am going to wear through them in a year even with proper alignment I think I will buy a little less expensive tires and just replace them more often.

John, I was going to post a couple pics but I didn't want everyone to have to look at each one as far as those having a slow connection so I made a link to my site and I just left all my pics there for people to go through if they wanted. I wouldn't have emailed you near that many:D

18. DaveK

DaveK Senior Member

Highpoint, I've been thinking about doing that as well (go where the snow is). There was a small discussion on here about a month ago on that subject, but not to many that actually do/did it. Is it really worth the drive? Considering the fuel and time it takes, you would need to plow a few just to break even.

19. GeoffD

GeoffD PlowSite.com Veteran

Could you please explain the controlls located inside your rig?

The plow one i understand, the spreader ones got me wondering.

Geoff

20. DaveK

DaveK Senior Member

The spreader one seemed easy enough. It's the one to the right that I was wondering about.