1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

My New Back-up Truck

Discussion in 'Equipment, Tools & Vehicle Pictures' started by FordFisherman, Jan 21, 2009.

1. FordFisherman

FordFisherman PlowSite.com Addict
    from 06611

Picked this up about a week ago after looking for about a year. Very difficult to find a good used plow truck. Its a 96 F350XLT Powerstroke diesel. Little bit of rust but nothing compared to the junk thats out there. Came with an 8" MM1 also. Love the diesel; tons of power and great gas mileage.

100_2917.jpg

100_2918.jpg

100_2916.jpg

2. cocco78

cocco78 Senior Member

Nice truck, those old F350's are starting to get very hard to find....

3. FordFisherman

from 06611

Thanks. Here's one more I forgot. You're right about them getting harder to find-no one wants to sell the good ones.

100_2915.jpg

4. kc2006

kc2006 Senior Member

Gas mileage? You put gas in it??? hehe j/k

nice truck. I miss mine.

5. Nice rig, mind if I ask the price tag you picked that up for?

6. kc2006

kc2006 Senior Member

oh btw. make a cold air intake (cone style k&n and a 45 degree piece of 4" exhaust tubing, i came up with that one), a better exhaust or at the least a better downpipe, and a chip. And you should easily see 20mpg. My 96 used to get killer mileage.

7. oldmankent

oldmankent PlowSite.com Addict

You'll never see 20 mpg with a 4.10 axle. Maybe a 3.55 and driving it 60 tops. Nice rig. Get rid of the factory ait filter and intake if it hasn't been done already. Is it and auto or 5 speed. If an auto, get a tranny temp guage on it. Change all your fluids to synthetic and you're good to go. You might want to get rid of the stock downpipe and cat. Upgrade to a 4" exhaust. My truck liked that. Nice truck.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2009
  8. FordFisherman

from 06611

Thanks for the comments guys. Its got the intake, 3:55 and a straight exhaust. Gets 17 around town (I checked)and the guy I bought it from swears 22 hwy although I can't verify that. No chip but it has the pillar gagues. Truck was well maintained and thats the main reason I bought it. Paid under what its worth and the best thing is 2 more storms and she's paid for herself.

9. ross3031

ross3031 Senior Member

Can never go wrong with a 7.3L. Like the other guys said, get an open intake and exhaust (including a downpipe). You'll love a 4" straight pipe. You probably wont see 20 MPG, but 17-18 MPG should be easy. Its a night and day difference with a chip too, just stay away form the commercial stuff (banks, edge, etc...) much better stuff out there for a lot less price.

If the front hubs haven't been replaced yet they probably will need it soon, DON'T by stock. Get a set of Warn of ebay. Guess thats one piece of advice i have...

10. FordFisherman

from 06611

Hubs were replaced w/ stockers before I got it. Actually, everything has been rebuilt or replaced except the engine. Trans w/ good gears and cooler, oil pan, all lines, complete front end, shocks, brakes, more I probably forgot.

11. ross3031

ross3031 Senior Member

Just curious, how many miles are on it?

If i'm not mistaken, 15 in rims will fit on that with a small spacer. And it just so happens i have a set of 15x10 black steel wheels if your interested :D

12. FordFisherman

from 06611

She just turned 219K and runs like new. Got a set of summer tires and factory aluminum rims thrown in also, but thanks for the offer. Oh yeah, I put a spare CPS in the glove box just in case...

13. blk90s13

blk90s13 PlowSite.com Addict

thats pre intercooler right ? I looked for one for over a year and gave up and got a f250 gas as my first plow truck

wanna sell it after its paid for its self ? let me know ;)

14. FordFisherman

from 06611

I looked at and drove every rusted out junker on the east coast before I found this truck. Thanks for the offer but I think I'll keep her a while. I asked my wife if if I fell in love with a truck, would it be considered cheating? I just got "the look".

15. FordFisherman

from 06611

Ross- Real nice truck BTW.

16. kc2006

kc2006 Senior Member

thats why i never say fuel mileage. people who dont know think 20 is impossible. i got reciepts to prove i did 24.8mpg freeway going 72 to pick a 4 wheeler up this year.

u guys would freak if i told u what the 99 gets.

17. FordFisherman

from 06611

I'm gonna use it as my daily driver; my 5.4 gets 9-10 downhill with a tailwind.:realmad:

18. blk90s13

blk90s13 PlowSite.com Addict

the 5.4L is worthless we dont take my wife's expedition no where

you still didnt answer my question about the intercooler is intercooled ?

19. redneck farmer

redneck farmer Senior Member

Nice looking truck

20. DBL

DBL PlowSite.com Addict

always liked that body style...nice and solid