1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

My New 90 Watt 4 Head Whelen Hideaways

Discussion in 'Strobe Lighting' started by stroker79, Feb 3, 2008.

1. stroker79

stroker79 2000 Club Member

I just installed them and love them

The flashback that everyone talks about was no where near as bad as i thought. and after awhile i never really noticed it. sometimes it was cool though when you hit a huge pile of snow and the you see it in slow mo, thats cool.

The front tubes are in the marker housings and they are freaking bright! the flash direction is perfect. its mostly off to the sides but very noticable in the front as whell but i have plenty of lighting in the grille.

the power pack is the Whelen CPS 6 head 90watt unit.

I got the clear tubes because they are far more visable than the yellow.

heres the vids.

<embed width="448" height="361" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" src="http://i144.photobucket.com/player.swf?file=http://vid144.photobucket.com/albums/r189/ddienelt/truckpics037.flv">

heres the front without the headlights on. was too cold to walk around the whole truck again.

<embed width="448" height="361" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" src="http://i144.photobucket.com/player.swf?file=http://vid144.photobucket.com/albums/r189/ddienelt/truckpics038.flv">

2. Fiafighterdude

Fiafighterdude Senior Member
    from ME

looks awsome

3. 02DURAMAX

02DURAMAX PlowSite.com Addict

Loos good...Nice JOB!!!

4. BlueLine Ent

BlueLine Ent Senior Member

Looks great. One suggestion though from a safety standpoint I might offer is to change the way the lights are plugged in so that the fronts alternate from side to side instead of both together. This way you don't have the long period of dark time between flashes and you constantly have light in the front from one bulb or the other. Just my PO.

5. F250 Boss v

F250 Boss v Senior Member

Side Fender Lights

Just wondering, what kind of lights, (brand/model #), do you have mounted on your front fenders? Did you install those yourself too? Thanks.

6. DodgeGuy

DodgeGuy Member

Looks great.

I'm gonna guess that the lights on the front fenders are Whelen TIR3 or LIN3.

7. iflyhelis

iflyhelis Member

Those stobes are great! You don't need to worry about someone not seeing you at night or in the daylight!

Nice job!

8. stroker79

Thanks for the compliments.

the front fenders are the Whelen LIN3. I did install them and all the other lights on the truck.

Blue line, Thats actually how i had it setup originally but it looked like i was a cop car in pursiut mode. I just switched them to the way they were in the video today to see how i like it.

The idea came from the dot street plows around here. they all go front to back and i almost think it is more attention getting because there is the absense of light. its almost more annoying because when they are lit there is more light. at least that was my thought process so i figured id try it out.

9. stroker79

and thats mainly why i installed them, for daylight. the LEDS are bright but the strobes seem like they are a sharper light which is better at getting your attention.

10. F250 Boss v

F250 Boss v Senior Member

Thanks for the info. Nice job!

11. RhinoL&L

RhinoL&L Senior Member

those are sweet! i just installed a set lats weekend. and i think they are sweet.

12. Clapper&Company

Clapper&Company PlowSite Veteran
    from NE OHIO

Looks good !!!!!!!!!!!!

13. Chevyboy

Chevyboy Member

looks good! What kinda strobes do you have and the lights in the rear window?

14. stroker79

the one in the rear window is the Whelen slimlighter ultra. I do not reccomend it. it is VERY directional as you can see in the videos. granted it is mounted behind my factory tinted rear window but I hear the talon is far more linear.

Its fun to conceal all the lights but if i were to do it all over again, id just do a full size light bar and hideaways. mine is getting to be a little overkill, haha. But at the same time i like it!

15. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

looks good, I think you need some more though!! LOL

16. KINNCO

KINNCO Senior Member

hey Stroker what's an estimated cost to strobe out a truck like you did? Was it very difficult?

17. stroker79

eesh, almost a grand for all the lights. the hideaway strobes were $200.

18. Pearcelawn

Pearcelawn Senior Member

Great set up!! You would have to be blind to not see you coming!!

19. THEGOLDPRO

THEGOLDPRO PlowSite Veteran

i have a set of hide-a-ways i need to put on my truck too i've just been lazy. looks great man.

20. Catloader

Catloader Junior Member

Looks good I have a few sets of hideaways on my loaders and trucks. Nice choice