1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

My new 9.2 Cutting Edge

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by Antlerart06, Feb 14, 2013.

1. Antlerart06

Antlerart06 PlowSite Veteran

Well it was time to replace my 9.2 cutting edge with about 80hrs on the old one
    I used 1/2''x8'' and on the ends I double it up This is mild steel. That cost me $130 plus my time about 2 hrs worth
    This time I drilled the holes Used 5/8 then used 3/4 so the heads will pull in and lock. One side I got the double part to close to the bolt hole so I had cut one side shoulder off
    This time I used a skidloader tire for the center I hope it will wear with the cutting edge unlike my baler belt did I used last time

2. Antlerart06

I enjoy making stuff with my hands

3. Antlerart06

Center rubber 8ply skidsteer tire

4. tuney443

tuney443 PlowSite.com Addict

Nice redneck engineering!Thumbs Up
  5. alldayrj

alldayrj PlowSite.com Addict

Looks cool. How much did you save vs using the boss formed edges
  6. Antlerart06

I dont know if the formed edges will fit my RT2 plow and I never price them So cant tell you that answer

My total was 130 for steel + 10 nuts and 20 for bolts So grand total $160+ plus 2 hrs labor
    I say $200

I would like to go with 5/8x8 but think the extra weight would be hard on the trip springs so I use 1/2x8''
  7. Antlerart06

Never thought of it that way Around here can buy anything you want You have to travel 60 miles to buy a edge
    I have fab a lot stuff over the years
    Back in 80s and 90s My 1/2 edges never cost over 100 Now with these ultra mount plows up to 300 I'm not going spend that I'll make it first
  8. bb45

bb45 Member
    from waverly

nice very nice work my boss will love these pics
  9. Spool it up

Spool it up Senior Member

sick , just plain ol hillbilly hook em up jed , sick . nice fab work Thumbs Up

its good to see some quality craftmanship still around wesport
  10. Tony350

Tony350 Senior Member

I also make my own edges. Have you ever tried using grade bar. It is hardened steel used for cutting edge stock. I can buy it at the steel yard. I made one out of mild steel for my dad and couldn't believe how fast it wore. I agree why pay for something you can do yourself.
  11. framer1901

framer1901 Senior Member

Because the formed edge you pay for will last three times as long, protects the end of the plow and bolts right on in ten minutes.

I'm all for making things but some things just ain't worth it.

I'd be easy with an 8" cutting edge hanging down there, hit a manhole cover and it'll bend like aluminum.

We get 50+ nights of plowing out of a formed edge, less than $8 per night.
  12. Antlerart06

Yes but with taper edge at 6'' wide it don't last very long
    Did you double up on the ends on your dads edge With mild steel
    If I don't double up Mild steel does wear fast I found out Plus being at 8'' they wear a longer

Not sure how many trucks you have or how big your route is To get 50 nights on formed edges How many hours is that.

My route this year is about 12 hours long with 3 trucks and 1 sub all Lots no driveways smallest Lot is 1 acre Biggest is 10 acres I have 47 Lots
    On my western plows I use 5/8x8'' The edge is at 5'' Its plowed 5 storms that's all been wet snow
    A sub I hire He runs Boss formed edges and this year was a new Edge and He only has 4 inches left
    So My sub burnt off 2 '' vs Mine burnt off 3'' So yes formed edges does last longer But mine cost a lot less This how I base my Edges To OEM edges

Around here I think everybody makes there own edges At Fab Shop they make a lot edges for people
  13. Tony350

Tony350 Senior Member

I put the bevel up, It also has an added benefit with the bevel up, it gives less of a ledge for the snow to sit on and stick to the blade. I lay the old cutting edge on the new steel mark the holes and torch them out. The holes do end up a little in the bevel but it hasn't seemed to hurt anything. I also like the 5/8 idea better than 1/2. Next one I make will be outta 5/8.
  14. Antlerart06

My steel yard cant get the 5/8 in 8'' wide

I was told if you torch holes on a harden steel makes it weak
  15. Tony350

Tony350 Senior Member

It may but I haven't had any problems with it. I know when you weld hardened steel you need to preheat it. Otherwise your weld will usually just pull out of the hardened steel. At least that is what would happen when I was working in a shop making excavator buckets.
  16. Spool it up

Spool it up Senior Member

absolutely pre-heat it before welding to it . Thumbs Up