1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

My "new" 83 Chevy plow truck

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by dneiding, Jan 1, 2013.

1. dneiding

dneiding Member

Just bought this truck today. 63K miles, new transmission, newer crate engine, all new body panels. Southern truck, absolutely no rust anywhere on the body or frame. I almost hate to put a plow on it and drive it in the snow.

IMAG0310.jpg

IMAG0311.jpg

IMAG0312.jpg

2. daman

daman Member

Nice,she wont last long in the salt.

3. dneiding

dneiding Member

I know :realmad:.

Before it goes in the snow I am going to take the bed off and POR-15 the frame, the underside of the bed and the inside of the bed so that should help me get a little more time out of it.

4. daman

daman Member

Under neath floor boards/rockers/wheel wells,etc.

5. quigleysiding

quigleysiding PlowSite.com Addict

Don't do it get a beater

6. mikes-plow

mikes-plow Senior Member

you'll hate yourself for doing it!

7. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Auto or stick?

8. linckeil

linckeil PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

get a beater instead if you need a plow truck. keep this one nice, or maybe sell it for a profit to someone who will. these trucks cannot be replaced. looks too nice and straight to plow with (unless you only do a tiny bit of plowing and wash it down throughly after every storm)

9. dneiding

dneiding Member

4 speed auto.

10. dneiding

dneiding Member

I am not a pro and only plow one neighbor's and my church (I don't even plow my own driveway; I shovel it because I like the exercise). I plan to get a nice change holder, fill it with quarters and wash every time I plow. Thumbs Up

I have a beater now and I just hate it. Loud exhaust, air blowing in through the holes in the rockers, etc.

11. CAT 245ME

CAT 245ME PlowSite.com Addict

I'd give that truck a good bath in fluid film. I did a frame off of my 85 K20, just after installing a Fisher MM2, a snow removal contractor that I know was driving by and seen the fairly new plow on the 85. He turned and came back and told me that I was insane for putting a plow on that truck.

I think he was right.

12. andcon83

andcon83 Senior Member

I'd give it a good bath in used motor oil. That is way to nice to run in the salt. Those old trucks are twice the trucks the new ones are...

13. ceptorman

ceptorman Senior Member
    from Indy

Wrong...The 80-88 trucks were the worst years Chevy ever had. You have to go back to the 70s to say the older trucks were stronger...sorry OP, and I'm a GM owner also.
    I say plow with itThumbs Up

14. scott3430

scott3430 PlowSite.com Addict

I like that style - I would maybe own as a toy before a plow truck, LOW miles!!!

15. CAT 245ME

16. gtmustang00

gtmustang00 Senior Member
    from Berlin

Get the truck oil'd. That'll help prevent it from rusting.

17. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

18. CAT 245ME

19. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

http://www.dieselhub.com/idi/olds-diesel.html

You must be young, it was the 1st diesel ever put into a pick up and cars by GM. It damn near ruin the Diesel in trucks as we know it. There was so many Lawsuits and crap, it really put stink on diesel world

Google "Worst Automobile Engines of All Time"

Last edited: Jan 5, 2013
  20. leolkfrm

leolkfrm PlowSite.com Addict

all that work and to lazy to paint the inside of the box or have it sprayed with bed protector what a shame.....anyhow it looks like it was a decent rehab but not super, if you didn't pay a lot use it!