1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

my new 6,4

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by justinizzi, Jan 9, 2010.

1. justinizzi

justinizzi Senior Member

ok guys we got a 2009 f-550 dump with the 6.4 diesel and we love it. But it will only idle for 15 minuets and then it shuts off. The dealer said it is on all the new diesel's. Just wondering if anybody knows how to get rid of it. Thanks.

2. Newdude

Newdude Senior Member

Last edited: Jan 9, 2010
  3. justinizzi

justinizzi Senior Member

Ya it sucks for plowing when i would let it warm up for a half hour before you go out you cant know.

4. niederhauser la

niederhauser la Member
    from Utah

Its the DPF, they fill up fast idling, but I didn't know ford put a timer on them?

5. VPRacing

VPRacing Member

See if you can set cruise. I know a few semi's I've driven, you have to set the cruise (yes when parked) and hit the "accelerate" button to raise the RPM. Kind of like an idle up switch.

Since you have a dump box, I would think you might have an idle switch.

My old boss has a 09 Chevy 3500 with a PTO switch on the dash that can control the idle speed. Just have to set the parking brake or the PTO will shut off. The truck does not even have a PTO on the transmission though, so I thought that was kinda weird. But on another note, his truck does not shut off after 15mins. It has ran for 4hrs+ at idle before while on the jobsite working out of it.

6. Newdude

Newdude Senior Member

...then the truck would go into regen...I dont think it would shut off for that reason...and it shouldnt fill up from running for 15 minutes either.

EDIT:

Just found this Ford bulletin: https://www.fleet.ford.com/truckbbas/non-html/Q169R3.pdf

If the idle shutdown was enabled in a non-California emissions state, then the idle shutdown can be disabled. If it was delivered in a California emissions state, then it is illegal to disable the feature. So, if RI follows the California standards, then the idle shutdown shouldnt be disabled. Check your build sheet on the truck for codes 63T and 63E.

You could always get in contact with the state and see what they say for plow vehicles and the state idling laws and their status amongst the laws.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2010
  7. Pristine PM ltd

Pristine PM ltd PlowSite Veteran

Ah... unless something is different from the 350 to the 550, there is an issue you should look into. I have 6 6.4s and none of them shut off after 15 mins... We try and not idle to much, but it happens often.

8. Newdude

Newdude Senior Member

In reference to the bulletin in the post above yours, any vehicle mfd. by FoMoCo over 14,000 GVWR falls under the idle shutdown control.

9. 91AK250

91AK250 PlowSite.com Addict

it can be disabled, how i'm unaware of though. we had some come in the shop which the company had them flashed by the local dealer(they said) to unlimit the idle time. the trucks are being used in very remote areas of the state with very harsh conditions.

10. Pristine PM ltd

Pristine PM ltd PlowSite Veteran

ah, good to know. I see 550 tow trucks idling for many many minutes, so I am sure they found a way to disable it.

11. justinizzi

justinizzi Senior Member

Thanks guys if anybody know what to do please let me know thanks

12. LawnProLandscapes

LawnProLandscapes PlowSite.com Addict

its an option for the new diesel super duties. if you go to ford.com and go to build a truck on there its an option for every state but CA

13. LawnProLandscapes

LawnProLandscapes PlowSite.com Addict

14. Newdude

Newdude Senior Member

...see bulletin...post #6...