1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

My new 6.0 powerstroke. Anybody else?

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by TheGoose, Oct 26, 2010.

1. TheGoose

TheGoose Junior Member

We just picked up the new plow truck for this year. Its a reg cab 4x4 F350 6.0 powerstroke with an auto tranny. It has an 8'2 Boss v-plow on it, and soon to have a an air flo vbox in the back. Anybody else running something similar to this setup? Any input of what mods you have done or heard of with the ole 6.0's? I myself have been a duramax man ( daily driver) and have just about everything done to it. I have pushed that last few years with my old bosses 7.3 and he wanted to keep it bone stock which drove me crazy. I dont wanna make this thing a crazy runnin truck, just not a grandpa slow snow pusher. fi intake, exhaust , mild tune, blocks in the backm timbrens and such. If any of you guys have something close to it or info at all thatd be great. Pics of your setup would be even better, but if you have some general info on you 6.0 pushing snow experience i'd really appreciate it. Thanks!

2. ajslands

ajslands 2000 Club Member

Put a bully dog chip in it!
    I just have mine equiped with hide aways and I have a beacon on top. And my tailgate salt spreader.
  3. plowguy43

plowguy43 PlowSite Fanatic

Fords don't need bocks or timbrens to handle the weight. They are awesome in that department. Delete the EGR and run an SCT custome tune.
  4. fatheadon1

fatheadon1 Senior Member

Ill 2nd everything plowguy said and ill add I ran banks, bullydog,edge and sct xcal3 is the best on the market when it comes 2 the 6.0. And scrap the factory muffle spend 50 and straight pipe it.
  5. TheGoose

TheGoose Junior Member

Thanks fella's. Im gonna straight pipe from the dp tomorrow. and my fellow duramax partner in crime is looking up some sct tunes for me today while he's at his shop. what abou intakes? anybody have good luck or cheap preferably. I run an afe stg 2 on my duramax and i love it. Kinda pricey for the work truck though. And hey aj, did you run your own hideaways or have them installed??? i wanna get some done asap and easy and as cheap as possible haha.
  6. JaimeG

JaimeG Senior Member

You don't need an intake until you hit 500hp.
  7. plowguy43

JaimeG is right. Take a look at powerstroke forums and they will all say the same thing about the stock intake. It flows very well and doesn't need to be replaced until you are making a LOT of power.
  8. gtstang462002

gtstang462002 Senior Member

The factory filter will literally hold 3 lbs of dirt before it starts pulling down the filterminder gauge.
  9. plowguy43

I don't want to know how you know that LOL.
  10. gtstang462002

I went through the Ford provided course for all of their diesels through the 6.4L.
  11. fci

fci Senior Member

Don't let your truck idle for long periods because it will mess up your egr. I suggest deleting the egr cooler and replacing the oil cooler at the same time. I put air bags on the front of our trucks that way when the plow is taken off you can deflate the bags for a nicer ride.
  12. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

Go with SCT, Bully dog isn't worth the money. People see Bully Dog, Banks, Edge and get all excited and happy in the pants. They don't do crap compared to the company's the general diesel population has never heard of.

Go ask the flatbiller diesel kids/guys who are always talking big about Bully Dog, Banks, Edge, etc about Dp Tuner, SCT, Spartan, Smarty, Efi Live, PPE, H&S, etc. I'll almost guarantee they don't know what's good for their particular truck, they just know what's popular and name brand.

Sounds like a normal work/farm truck air filter lol.
  13. rob_cook2001

rob_cook2001 2000 Club Member

Really? I have tested almost every programming device for the 6.0 and the Bully dog is the WORST SHIFTING. Extremity hard on the trans. I would drive a 6.0 before putting a Bully dog on it.

To the OP. Stick with the stock intake (just keep clean filters in it). Straight pipe it. Get a custom tuned SCT from Eric at innovative diesel and block off the EGR.
    You will be good to go.
  14. Dissociative

Dissociative 2000 Club Member

and order arp headstuds and get ready to lift the cab off and tear the motor down..

IT WILL HAPPEN..... guaranteed....
  15. gtstang462002

It is guaranteed when you start hoping it up with all that aftermarket crap.
  16. dfd9

dfd9 PlowSite.com Addict

Mod it with a Cummins.

Scrap the 6.0 piece of crap.
  17. plowguy43

Whats a cummins and how do you install it in the 6.0?
  18. dfd9

dfd9 PlowSite.com Addict

19. plowguy43

I can't check that on my phone- is a programmer or exhaust?
  20. Pinky Demon

Pinky Demon PlowSite.com Addict
    from Ohio

Let me get this straight, you own a Dodge, and you don't know what a Cummins is?

Here's a hint: It's the only reason to own a Dodge.