1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

My New 2010 Snow Plowing ATV Video

Discussion in 'ATV / UTV Snow Removal' started by bigdoug, Jan 8, 2010.

1. bigdoug

bigdoug Member
    from NE Ohio

Just having fun plowing for the 10th time this year...lol

My parking lot is 5000 square feet.
    I love to drive in the grass (so as to not back up all the time). I won't do that on a friends property, but on mine It is just to much fun.wesport

Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eA7GfX82p0E

I need to fix the contact on the Warn winch (2500 model) because my up button keeps failing. Every now and then I go to hit the in button while I am moving quick and when I get to the grass line (SMACK) :dizzy: I called Honda today and they want $93.00 to fix the rear contact. Maybe I can fix it myself and save some money.

Have any of you dealt with that issue before?

Doug

2. BruteForce750

BruteForce750 Senior Member
    from MA

Nice video.

Are you sure it is the contact and not the switch? I'd try to swap the wires around to eliminate the switch first. Just make it so your up button is now the down button. If it has issues going down, its most likely your switch. I'd rather replace a simple switch than the $93.00 contact

3. bigdoug

bigdoug Member
    from NE Ohio

Let me give that a try. If it is the contact...where would I find it. And is it an easy fix? I don't mind buying the parts to save money.

Buy the way. You can here the clicking sound, click...click...click and then all of the sudden it comes up. It never has a problem with the down (out).

Doug

Last edited: Jan 8, 2010
  4. BruteForce750

from MA

I'm not sure where the contact post will be for you. On mine I installed it under the seat, but the best thing might be to trace the wires either from the battery or from the winch to it. All the main power cables for the winch will eventually lead to it. I'd start at the winch and trace the power back.

If your hearing the click it could be that the switch is making poor contact or faulty causing it to send a intermittent signal. While I cant be sure, it doesn't hurt to check first.

As for pricing... I'm not sure the exact model you have in the 2500 series but I believe most of the contactors are swappable. At http://www.warn.com/store/service_parts.jsp I found part # 63070 which showed a price of $92.91.

You might be able to scout around and find it for cheaper. Actually I found it at Streetsideauto.com for $71.57 with free shipping. Again, not sure if this is the one you need but use the warn website to get the part number and scout. Also, I've never bought anything from streetside, just showing you can get if for less else where :nod:

To replace, once you've found the contact you'll see there is 4 posts each with one nut holding on a wire each. Simply undo the nut one by one and swap the cable you took off onto the new contactor once you have it. This will ensure you don't swap wires around and set it up correctly.

[​IMG]

5. Reb

Reb Senior Member
    from Wyoming

If the contactor is clicking then the switch is working. Make sure all the connections are tight. More than likely it is the contactor. I had the same problem a couple years ago, changing the contactor solved the problem.

If it is the 8 post contactor talk to Warn, they had a recall on those a couple years ago. You can probably find info about it on their web site.

6. BruteForce750

from MA

If the switch is making poor contact or has a faulty wire, then it very well could be causing the repeated clicking noise. Tho I don't disagree that it most likely is the contactor... I normally try to eliminate the cheaper fixes first :laughing:

7. bigdoug

bigdoug Member
    from NE Ohio

Thanks Bruteforce and Reb,

I will look into it. The clicking is loud. I should upload a small clip so you can here it. I have a friend of mine who is a mechanic coming by in a few hours to take a look.

Hopefully it is a loose wire around the contactor.

Doug

8. BruteForce750

from MA

Keep us updated :waving:

9. Reb

Reb Senior Member
    from Wyoming

Let me type a little slower, hopefully this will get through to Brute.

If the contactor is clicking, the switch is working. The only way the contactor can click is if the switch is energizing it. More than likely it is just a bad set of contacts within the contactor or a loose wire.

10. bigdoug

bigdoug Member
    from NE Ohio

11. BruteForce750

from MA

Reb, maybe your a visual learner.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Je764AvkRlQ

That demonstrates the concept as best as I could find. The controller would be the switch even tho hes pressing the button on the switch, it may be sending a faulty signal or weak current. Just because the contactor is clicking doesn't necessarily mean its receiving all the power it needs or a steady enough power current. Ok, not the greatest example, but the best I could find.

I too can hear mine click when i press the switch, but if I simulate a faulty switch by repeatedly pressing the button my contactor will click because its getting bursts of power.

Understand I'm not disagreeing with you that its most likely an issue with the contactor, but the possibility is there for it to be a bad switch as well.

Oh and Doug, if you do happen to replace the contactor, be careful how tight you put on the nuts. I've heard of people tightening them down too much and they end up damaging the internal connections because of it. I believe what happens is the post ends up breaking loose and turns.

12. mossman381

mossman381 2000 Club Member

I think backing up would save you some time. And when you get so much snow you will not be able to drive through it anymore.

13. IPLOWSNO

IPLOWSNO PlowSite.com Addict

always looking forward to big dougs escapades lmao, try driving on the lawn at my house, you'll bury it

14. ALC-GregH

ALC-GregH PlowSite.com Addict
    from pa

I doubt it. He thinks he's always right.

Just as you said Reb, if the contact is clicking the switch is working.

15. bigdoug

bigdoug Member
    from NE Ohio

Its almost a foot and a half in the lawn now.:cry: The fun is almost over. Or maybe I can build some ramps at the edges of the drive, do a whirlybird at the top of the ramp and then come back down in the opposite direction. xysport Backing up is so boring.

I need to get a large snow blower for the front when that happens. That way I can watch the snow rainbow.:D

Doug

16. bigdoug

bigdoug Member
    from NE Ohio

The funny thing about us atv dudes is that we would all try it. Lawn Angels with an atv is more fun than mudding...lol

Doug

17. BruteForce750

from MA

I dont think I'm always right, but i try to think outside the box sometimes as well. Apparently that is too tough of a task for some of you. If the switch is making poor contact when being pressed, then it could send a intermitant signal to the contactor causing it to click.

I even said its most likely not that, but it was just something to check as it would be much less expensive to check than to replace the contactor.

18. IPLOWSNO

IPLOWSNO PlowSite.com Addict

brute don't paint with a broad brush, hahahaha

big doug your right it's fun right up till ya need to get out.

19. ALC-GregH

from pa

Your totally missing the point. The switch is GOOD if the contact is clicking. The switch is not sending all the amps to the winch, the contact is sending it. All the switch does is activate the contact. Again, if the contact is clicking, the switch is working. There's nothing TOO check as your test on the switch is the clicking of the contact. If the contact does not click, then yes, I'd be checking the switch. Where's that smiley dude beating the other guy over the head with a hammer? :dizzy:

20. ALC-GregH

from pa

Let me give you another example. Old Fords used a starter solenoid. When they went bad, they would just click. Guess what, NONE of them are the ignition switch, or in this case the rocker switch. All are either the contact (starter solenoid) or the starter (winch). In 30 years working on everything on the road. I found one Ford truck to have a bad ignition switch. You know how I diagnosed it? Easy, the solenoid was not clicking. I jumped the solenoid and bam, the truck turned over. I then went right to the ignition switch and pulled it out and sure enough the switch was burnt.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2010