1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

My "new" 1995 chevy truck.

Discussion in 'Equipment, Tools & Vehicle Pictures' started by bgingras, Feb 8, 2009.

1. bgingras

bgingras Senior Member

Well, everyone that knows me also knows that I like to be a little unique in what I drive, so I picked up this orange 1995 K2500(8600gvw) with fisher 8' plow. It's a municipal surplus that came to me as a repairable with a trashed front end. Also needed a transmission rebuild. 8 hours in front end work, new tires($200 NEW set), $1500 transmission rebuild, and some other misc stuff and here we have it. It's pushed 4 storms so far with zero problems, I've put 1500 miles on it so far, and after all work, 14mpg on the 5.7L. This is the first 5.7 I've ever had that didn't have that annoying piston slap, ticking, rapping noise that seems prevalent in most Chevys. Best part is I dumped $350 in payments at the same time!

When all was said and done, I'm into it for $4500 complete.

truck2.jpg

truck1.jpg

2. Burkartsplow

Burkartsplow PlowSite Veteran

looks great. what is the mileage.

3. bgingras

bgingras Senior Member

picked it up with 116,000 miles.

4. CAT 245ME

CAT 245ME PlowSite.com Addict

I'm really diggin the orange.

You should call it The Great Pumpkin. LOL

5. cantoo

cantoo PlowSite.com Veteran

I buy used municipal quite abit. I have an orange diesel 1 ton that just crapped out last year. A yellow 3/4 ton Chev gaser with insert in the back. Had a white 3/4 ton 4x4 Dodge that I put a flatbed and hoist on. Just sold a white 01 Dodge 1/2 ton gaser last week. I once got pulled over in my orange diesel for speeding from then on it was known as "Fast Orange" Driving too fast one morning thru a 10 house village and copper was sitting there.

6. Lencodude

Lencodude Senior Member

Nice truck, looks like it is still in great shape for a 95. Great find. I use to go to the city auctions but around here they are finished when they sell them.

7. bgingras

bgingras Senior Member

well the front hub bolt heads were stripped and the axle nut was loose when I got it. Looks like they tried to replace the blown hub at the city barn, stripped the heads off and called it done. It took all of 4 hours to get the bolts out of the hub, the rest was easy. Transmission went first storm out, but was a little "weak" when I first got it anyway.

8. EGLC

EGLC PlowSite.com Addict

orange doesnt look bad for a work truck.....personal not so much. haha you got a decent deal, municiply stuff here seels really cheap, but most of it is older then 1995.

9. bgingras

bgingras Senior Member

Funny thing is I also parked my explorer when I got this one and this is now my daily driver also..but then again, I'm a contractor and building inspector for a town so I guess the color still fits for daily use :)

10. KL&M Snow Div.

KL&M Snow Div. PlowSite.com Addict

Looks like it will be a good truck. Looks like a DOT truck too lol

11. bgingras

bgingras Senior Member

pulled up last week on a new home construction for an inspection , and the builder actually asked me when the town decided to give us our own trucks :)

I keep getting waved to by passing cops, and even my own town trucks now, and we don't even use orange here.

12. deere615

deere615 2000 Club Member

Thats awesome! I have always thought about building a fleet of the dark yellow chevys like my nbs. I would never find the color used and it would cost to much to have the trucks painted, but it would definetly be unique

13. farmerkev

farmerkev Senior Member

Anyidea on the actuall color of that if I was to buy paint. I have some ideas for my truck.

14. bgingras

bgingras Senior Member

not a clue actually...was there even an option of this color from chevy?

15. kitn1mcc

kitn1mcc Senior Member

get some paint on that plow frame

find the fancy front grill to make it look nicer

16. bgingras

bgingras Senior Member

Considering the season, the plow frame is having to wait ...the plan is to pull the frame, sandblast the frame and the plow and re-pain everything. Had not thought of the grill though. Not sure I want to change the grill really...the truck will be going off road a lot this spring during a build out in the woods, and I'd probably trash a good grill.

17. 6.5LTDFisher

6.5LTDFisher Member

Very nice deal.. including the full size light bar can't beat that.. Get a Minute Mount plow then you wont have to look at the lights during the Spring Summer Fall.. You cold also paint the grill black for time being. Good luck with it!

18. bgingras

bgingras Senior Member

Light bar cost me $100 by the way, they stripped that out before selling it.

The truck I just sold had a minute mount...first time out with this truck I was saying "what was I thinking going back", but now it takes me 1-2 minutes to hook up, and repairs are cheaper(no electronics)...why spend money to change over? I don't care about the head gear being there all the time, It's a truck after all.

19. kitn1mcc

kitn1mcc Senior Member

i know a few guys who used to unbolt those style headboards in the spring and get a piece of aluminum and out it over there as a step

20. bgingras

bgingras Senior Member

actually has anyone ever mounted a winch on the lower frame before? Yes, I have looked at steps to bolt up as well.